By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will No Backwards Compatibility on Switch 2 Influence Your Purchase?

Will you buy it?

I will still get it 54 54.00%

I won't get it 16 16.00%

I'll jump in late in the generation 20 20.00%

I'm not sure 10 10.00%

Total:100

I find it odd when the question of the thread doesn't match the question of the poll.
That said BC has never affected me. I'm there for the future games, not the past ones.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network

If the games that I want are in that system, I will get for sure. Said that, as time pass, I have been too picky in regards to games nowadays, even the new Zelda didn't make me go "wow I need to play that".

To make go to the edge and hush to get a new console, they need to make something mind blowing or else I can comfortably wait for a long time while catching some games to pass my time with the Switch

Edit: Now I forgot to mention the value of the BC... lol

To make it simple, I am not a video game collector. When I move to the next generation, I go all the way, I don't store the old consoles to play when I feel like it God knows when. Since I am still pretty invested on Switch like any other console I had owned, to keep my huge backlog when I upgrade is simply a non brainer 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 07 March 2023

We reap what we sow

I would've said yes in the past, but I already have a console that plays Switch games, called Nintendo Switch. I want new games on the new system.

Backward compatibility isn't a big thing when it comes to consoles sold more than 100 million.

Nah, If I want to play Swith games in the future I'll play them on my Switch. And with the Switch's portable nature that's easier than ever.

It's one of the main reasons I don't like consoles as much as I used to, so it's definitely a factor.

Around the Network

Idk, I never really understood the importance of backwards compatibility. If I ever wanted to play older games, I just boot up my old console. I never used the backwards compatibility on the 3DS, Wii, and barely used it on Wii U + non-nintendo systems. Obviously having it is a bonus, but I feel like the gaming community is that small portion of the whole that values backwards compatibility. I feel like majority of people outside of the community are like me, they don't really care about whether they can play old games or not. Nobody will buy a new console just for backwards compatibility, new games are obviously the main dish. Now, if they can somehow improve the performance of older games with it being backwards compatible, it might be a different story. It also depends on what the concept of the new console is going to be since we still don't know. If they are going to keep the hybrid format making an improved version of the current Switch, I think a lot of people would hope for backwards compatibility. If it's a new "interesting" console with different concepts, then not so much.

People are saying something like "there's no way they would throw away the current userbase!" or "With how successful the Switch it would be stupid to throw away the hybrid concept!" I don't think so and history also proves my point. Every time Nintendo succeeded, it was with something new. Arcade - NES, GBA - DS, GameCube - Wii, Wii U/3DS - Switch. In other words, every time they failed/sold less, it was an upgraded version of their previous system. NES - SNES, GameBoy - GBA, DS - 3DS, Wii - Wii U. There is no guarantee that the "current userbase" would remain by just adding backwards compatibility, and new customers certainly won't need it. I can't imagine Switch 2 doing better than the Switch. It they're releasing a "new console" I'm hoping for innovation. Innovation is where Nintendo thrives. If not, I would rather get a Switch Pro than a Switch 2.

Would royally suck if it doesn't have it but I'd still buy one.

Zippy6 said:

Unlikely to affect my own decision, but I think it would be pretty terrible to not have it.

Agreed.  I love Nintendo games enough that I know the Switch 2 is in my future plans.  However BC, IMHO, is amazing.  Saves so much space and reduces HDMI needs on the TV.  Perhaps everyone's situation is different, but for me it isn't feasible to have a NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii-U, Switch, Switch 2 available on a TV.  Especially since I also enjoy playstation.  I just don't want 20 systems, hence BC is a big selling point.  I would prefer not to emulate, but I have turned to it pretty hardcore for older systems.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 07 March 2023

As someone who never quite pulled the trigger on a Switch (mainly due to hardware), no BC would turn a potential Switch 2 from a likely early adoption for me into a cautious wait and see. It would also keep me from buying Switch 1 games for said console and just emulating them instead.

I will probably get it in it's second year regardless but no BC will probably push my purchase back a year or two. But still not late gen.