By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Climb Week-on-Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 4-10

Nice for Switch and PS5 as usual. Can't wait for PS5 stock soon ^^

Around the Network

After being in 3rd place for over a decade the Game Boy has been overtaken by the Switch. If it does overtake the DS that wouldn't be till 2025 at the earliest so no more Switch hardware milestones other than stuff like surpassing 120m and so on for a long time. The PS5 continues doing very well and the Series S discount shows that Xbox Series sales are gonna be helped a lot by the S.

Awesome that the Switch has surpassed GB/GBC! Should be able to reach 120m by the end of the calendar year. Might just miss 20m for the year though.

This could be the last major milestone for Switch at all, though we won't know for sure until either late 2024 or sometime in 2025 at the earliest.

Thank you for the update.

It looks like the demand for PS5 is very strong. It feels like it's going to be the #1 in America as long as it has enough stock. It's possible that a few console exclusives this year, like Final Fantasy XVI, are going to help it to keep the momentum going.

Well now that the Switch has passed the Gameboy family. I believe it's next victim will be one it's officially passed years ago, And that is the Gamecube. We all know the wii had gamecube hardware incorporated into the console and while the Wii U never had any official way of playing gamecube games, Anyone who's every hacked their Wii U will know that the console also plays gamecube games natively. In essence theres roughly 136.93 million consoles with some form of gamecube hardware built into them (going by vgchartz estimates).
So the questions are, can it reach this unofficial total and if so how long will it take to reach this?

Around the Network

Switch has passed the Game Boy/Game Boy Color, Xbox One has probably passed the GameCube or is closing in, and PS5 is probably closing in on the N64 by a million to two million by now.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Gameboy's record withstood the PS4, but the Switch was just too much.

For the first time in two generations, number three of all time changes hands.

I am currently live on Twitch for the next couple of hours or so. I will be going over the latest VGChartz estimates then playing some games.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Most of Australian retailers have been selling brand-new PS4 consoles for the first time in a long time, it seems that the were some COD MW2 and GOW:R PS4 bundles sold in the US too.

Numbers will be interesting once Sony release them this month.

Blood_Tears said:
trunkswd said:

Sales are up by a decent amount for Xbox Series X|S compared to last year. The main reason the Xbox is down by as much as it is compared to the previous week is the $50 discount on the Xbox Series S was over for this week before it came back on December 12. 

Really?  I thought the $50 discount was suppose to end that week but never did and the deal just kept rolling. At least that's what happened in Canada. It stayed 50 dollars off for the whole month here. 

No it wasn't.... Last week it was over already, I tried to buy another one and it was back to normal price.

I don't know where you saw that but it was not at Walmart, Gamestop and Bestbuy...