By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Climb Week-on-Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 4-10

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series has done well so far with the help of Series S, but they're going to have to do more if they want to stay competitive in the long run.
They need to start releasing killer games if they really want to regain their 360 era mojo and not be permanently relegated to a distant third place.

There are some pages saying Xbox won 2022 doing it silently without any noteworthy exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox Series has done well so far with the help of Series S, but they're going to have to do more if they want to stay competitive in the long run.
They need to start releasing killer games if they really want to regain their 360 era mojo and not be permanently relegated to a distant third place.

There are some pages saying Xbox won 2022 doing it silently without any noteworthy exclusives.

Lmao some people love to lie blatantly (not saying this is you) 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Yes I even saw an article about it. I mean why bother trying to sell a lot of consoles and release new games if by doing neither makes you the winner ?

Link to the article here.

This follows teaks to our older estimates following Microsoft sharing the marketshare for 2021. PS5 and PS4 lifetime sales remain the same, though some numbers were shifted around to increase PS5 and PS4 for 2021. I couldn't really ADD to lifetime PS5 and PS4 sales as it would bring our estimates above shipment figures from Sony. Xbox Series X|S and Switch were overall adjusted down a little bit. 

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through December 10

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to December 14)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to December 12)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to December 11)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to December 10)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 9.49 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 2,530,961 units (+36.4%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 65,873 units (-70.6%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 17.36 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 4,371,791 units (-20.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 11.97 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 584,875 units (5.1%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.46 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,893,026 (-80.5%)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 04 January 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

For anyone interested I am streaming over on Twitch. I'm going to play some Vampire Survivors then watch Sony's CES 2023 showcase at 8pm ET / 5pm PT.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Let me guess: they didn't use any of the available data. Like in 2022 XBS being third in the UK and Spain and very likely also in the US in units.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Looking the charts, the market sure doesn't think so.

As supply improves, and being able to get the Series S on shelves when PS5/Series X were unavailable is no longer a draw, they'd better get cracking as far as games go. Multiplatform games can only take you so far when your rivals have first party heavyweights you can't play on Xbox.

trunkswd said:

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

For anyone interested I am streaming over on Twitch. I'm going to play some Vampire Survivors then watch Sony's CES 2023 showcase at 8pm ET / 5pm PT.

Sony CES showcase is now live!

Xbox has the following 3 problems:

1. Killer apps are missing
2. The many studios Microsoft bought surely will come out with many (exclusive) games in the future but will they really be killer apps? Will they really be high quality games? I have my doubts.
3. Even if a good chunk of these games the many Microsoft studios will bring out are of high quality, they come too late. 3 and more years into the generation, no game will magically change the destiny of a console. The only hope is that those future games will give Microsoft's next console a boost but then again, so many of those games already came out for the then old generation (Xbox Series S/X) which doesn't make them killer apps for the new console and until games come out that take full advantage of the new console we are already again too late into the console cycle...

I think those 3 points are the big dilemma of Microsoft in the console market. Yes, Sony doesn't have exclusives that take full advantage of the PS5 either but the dynamic for Sony's console is different. Above all, Sony doesn't have to proof themselves, they are currently king (in the premium console market). It is Microsoft which has to proof themselves, which has to gain market shares.

Premium console market? We've found the FCC employee guys!

You're right though. It's too late in the generation to win but they're taking ground back without killer apps and exclusive games of quality. Or enough to counter Sony's at the very least.