By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Climb Week-on-Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 4-10

309,074 246,105 158,183 872,694
389,665 175,938 18,894 715,141
296,958 110,925 1,531 480,942
950 369 3,154 4,679
57 28 N/A 100

Be sure to share the weekly breakdown article here.

PS5 Sales Climb Week-on-Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 4-10

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 872,694 units sold for the week ending December 10, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 118.99 million units lifetime.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 715,141 units to bring its lifetime sales to 28.97 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 480,942 units to bring their lifetime sales to 20.61 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are down by over 140,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are down by over 23,000 units. PS4 sold 855,298 units for the week ending December 12, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 504,206 units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 4,679 units, while the Xbox One sold 100 units.

PlayStation 5 sales compared to the same week a year ago are up by 364,775 (104.1%), while Xbox Series X|S sales are up by 131,278 units (37.5%) and Nintendo Switch sales are down by 183,270 units (-17.4%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 24,066 units (-83.7%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 1,574 units (-94.0%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, the PlayStation 5 sales are up by over 16,000 units, Xbox Series X|S sales are down by over 110,000 units, and Nintendo Switch sales are down by nearly 60,000 units.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 17.36 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 11.97 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 9.49 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 872,694 (118,987,822)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 715,141 (28,970,238)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 480,942 (20,612,686)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 4,679 (117,037,804)
  5. Xbox One - 100 (51,279,015)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 419,832
  2. Switch - 332,815
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 320,777
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,026
  5. Xbox One - 62
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 246,105
  2. PlayStation 5 - 175,938
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 110,925
  4. PlayStation 4 - 369
  5. Xbox One - 28
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 255,042
  2. PlayStation 5 - 82,683
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 22,614
  4. PlayStation 4 - 3,253
  5. Xbox One - 4
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 38,732
  2. Switch - 36,688
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 26,626
  4. PlayStation 4 - 31
  5. Xbox One - 6

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 January 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

This week has seen the Nintendo Switch outsell the Game Boy (+ Color) to become the third best-selling platform of all time. I'll have an article on this out later today or tomorrow.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Good sales for Switch and PlayStation. The Xbox Series sales are a bit lacking though. Sure 1 million weeks are not the norm for either PS5 or Carries except for BF. But sub 500k in December isn't good for any system that's popular.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Good sales for Switch and PlayStation. The Xbox Series sales are a bit lacking though. Sure 1 million weeks are not the norm for either PS5 or Carries except for BF. But sub 500k in December isn't good for any system that's popular.

Sales are up by a decent amount for Xbox Series X|S compared to last year. The main reason the Xbox is down by as much as it is compared to the previous week is the $50 discount on the Xbox Series S was over for this week before it came back on December 12. 

my prediction is that the ps5 end the year between 31 and 31.5 million

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Qwark said:

Sales are up by a decent amount for Xbox Series X|S compared to last year. The main reason the Xbox is down by as much as it is compared to the previous week is the $50 discount on the Xbox Series S was over for this week before it came back on December 12. 

Really?  I thought the $50 discount was suppose to end that week but never did and the deal just kept rolling. At least that's what happened in Canada. It stayed 50 dollars off for the whole month here. 

Blood_Tears said:
trunkswd said:

Really?  I thought the $50 discount was suppose to end that week but never did and the deal just kept rolling. At least that's what happened in Canada. It stayed 50 dollars off for the whole month here. 

I saw at least here in NY the price went back up at the few locations I looked at. We shall see where the VGC estimates are when the monthly reports come out - NPD for the US and GamesIndustry for the UK and mainland Europe. NPD probably comes out January 13 and the others likely next week or the week after. 

jvmkdg said:

my prediction is that the ps5 end the year between 31 and 31.5 million

Sony is having their CES conference this Wednesday night and they will likely have some PSVR2 news there but in the past they disclosed some console sale figures as well for the holiday period. Here's hoping that they continue that trend this time, especially with the exceptional holiday they had this time around. 

trunkswd said:
Qwark said:

True but last year the demand wasn't the issue, there was simply a huge shortage which made the holiday season for PS and Xbox non existant. This time there 2as actually supply in big parts of the world.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
trunkswd said:

True but last year the demand wasn't the issue, there was simply a huge shortage which made the holiday season for PS and Xbox non existant. This time there 2as actually supply in big parts of the world.

There was more stock for the Xbox Series X|S last year than PS5. Plus last year saw the release of Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite in November and December, while this year there really wasn't anything from first-party developers.