By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Climb Week-on-Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 4-10

ironmanDX said:

Premium console market? We've found the FCC employee guys!

You're right though. It's too late in the generation to win but they're taking ground back without killer apps and exclusive games of quality. Or enough to counter Sony's at the very least.

FTC?

Around the Network

Some new data from Chris Dring.

Europe 2022

NSW #1 for 2022 hardware, and increased market share YoY.  No numbers or % drops given yet.

UK 2022

UK 2022 Hardware & Software

1. NSW (-27.5% from 2021)

2. PS5 (-33% from 2021)

3. XBS (-15% from 2021)

Software*

Position Title
1 FIFA 23 (EA) |
2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
3 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
4 Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
5 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6 God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
7 FIFA 22 (EA)
8 Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
9 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
10 Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
11 Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)*
12 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13 Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
14 Pokémon Violet (Nintendo)*
15 WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
16 F1 22 (EA)
17 Pokémon Scarlet (Nintendo)*
18 Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Nintendo/Mojang)*
19 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
20 Sonic Frontiers (Sega)

*Digital Excluded

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 109

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 32,733,182
  2. PS5: 28,970,238
  3. XSX|S: 20,612,686

Through the first 109 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 3.76 million units units and is 12.12 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 8.36 million units.

The Switch has sold 32.73 million in 109 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 28.97 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.61 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 109 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 39.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 35.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 11,442,685
  2. PS5: 11,051,753
  3. XSX|S: 9,936,105

Through the first 109 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.39 million units and is 1.51 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.12 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.44 million in 109 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 11.06 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 9.94 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 109 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 35.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 30.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (108 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,327,604
  2. Switch: 8,309,099
  3. XSX|S: 5,270,067

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 108 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.02 million units and is 4.06 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.04 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.33 million in 108 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.31 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.27 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 108 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,861,812
  2. PS5: 2,239,024
  3. XSX|S: 399,710

Through the first 109 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.62 million units and is 7.46 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.84 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.86 million units in 109 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.24 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.40 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 109 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.9 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 21.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Sony and Nintendo both have a strong first party catalog that sells systems, Xbox needs to build the same if they really want to be competitive.
They've had a very long time to address this issue but it remains their Achille Heel.
They've made some good progress this generation by righting a lot of their Xbone era mistakes, but if they really want to take the fight to Sony, Gamepass and multiplatform games won't cut it.

With the UK December report out now and December NPD coming out on Friday (and hopefully Europe December report this week) I will wait to post the rest of December estimates. I hope to have December 17 estimates posted on Friday then the final 2 weeks of December next week on Monday and Wednesday/Thursday. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

Switch Best-Selling Console in the UK in December, PS5 in 2nd, and Xbox Series X|S in 3rd

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in the UK in December, according to GfK Entertainment and reported by GamesIndustry

The PlayStation 5 was the second best-selling console in the UK in December with sales not far behind the Nintendo Switch. The Xbox Series X|S came in third place.

There were over 460,000 video game consoles sold in the UK in December (panel data, not upweighted), which is up 24 percent compared to December. However, sales were down 17 percent compared to December 2021.

PlayStation 5 sales were up slightly compared to December 2021, while the Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch were down.

GSD data shows that nearly 6.4 million physical and digital games were sold in the UK in December, which is down eight percent year-on-year.

2.85 million of the games sold were digital. This compares to over 3.5 million physical games sold.

FIFA 23 was the best-selling game in the UK in December, followed by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II in second place

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II sales were relatively even between the PlayStation and Xbox versions. The PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions accounted for 54 percent of sales, while the Xbox version accounted for 46 percent.

God of War: Ragnarök was the third best-selling game, however, if you were to combine Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet it would have come in third place.

There were a number of new games outside the top 10. Need for Speed Unbound debuted in 14th place with sales down 44 percent compared to 2019's Need for Speed HeatThe Callisto Protocol debuted in 16th place, however, these figures don't include digital sales. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion debuted in 20th place.

Here are the software (digital + physical) charts:

PositionTitle
1FIFA 23 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
3God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Pokémon Violet (Nintendo)*
6LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
7Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
8Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
9Pokémon Violet (Nintendo)*
10Sonic Frontiers (Sega)
11Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Just Dance 2023 (Ubisoft)
14Need for Speed Unbound (EA)
15NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
16The Callisto Protocol (Krafton)*
17Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)*
18Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
19Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
20Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix)

* Digital data unavailable

trunkswd said:

Link to the article here.

Switch Best-Selling Console in the UK in December, PS5 in 2nd, and Xbox Series X|S in 3rd

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in the UK in December, according to GfK Entertainment and reported by GamesIndustry

The PlayStation 5 was the second best-selling console in the UK in December with sales not far behind the Nintendo Switch. The Xbox Series X|S came in third place.

There were over 460,000 video game consoles sold in the UK in December (panel data, not upweighted), which is up 24 percent compared to December. However, sales were down 17 percent compared to December 2021.

PlayStation 5 sales were up slightly compared to December 2021, while the Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch were down.

GSD data shows that nearly 6.4 million physical and digital games were sold in the UK in December, which is down eight percent year-on-year.

2.85 million of the games sold were digital. This compares to over 3.5 million physical games sold.

FIFA 23 was the best-selling game in the UK in December, followed by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II in second place

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II sales were relatively even between the PlayStation and Xbox versions. The PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions accounted for 54 percent of sales, while the Xbox version accounted for 46 percent.

God of War: Ragnarök was the third best-selling game, however, if you were to combine Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet it would have come in third place.

There were a number of new games outside the top 10. Need for Speed Unbound debuted in 14th place with sales down 44 percent compared to 2019's Need for Speed HeatThe Callisto Protocol debuted in 16th place, however, these figures don't include digital sales. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion debuted in 20th place.

Here are the software (digital + physical) charts:

PositionTitle
1FIFA 23 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
3God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Pokémon Violet (Nintendo)*
6LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
7Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
8Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
9Pokémon Violet (Nintendo)*
10Sonic Frontiers (Sega)
11Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Just Dance 2023 (Ubisoft)
14Need for Speed Unbound (EA)
15NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
16The Callisto Protocol (Krafton)*
17Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)*
18Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
19Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
20Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix)

* Digital data unavailable

There are 2 Pokémon Violet on the list, is it correct?

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

There are 2 Pokémon Violet on the list, is it correct?

I copied over the list from GamesIndustry. They must have an error. Violet has been selling better than Scarlet. So I am guessing the lower Violet should be Scarlet.

A new Game News Roundup video is now live on YouTube. I go over the gaming news from the last week with the big news being the PS5 hitting 30 million units sold worldwide. 

Europe 2022

Hardware (Europe minus Germany/UK)

1. NSW -15% vs 2021

2. PS5 -35% vs 2021

3. XBS +4.4% vs 2021

"Switch was the No.1 selling console in almost every country with a few exceptions. In Denmark and Sweden, PS5 is the No.1 console, whereas Xbox Series S and X was No.1 in Norway."

Software charts and other insights in the link.