By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft enters agreement to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo

KratosLives said:
DroidKnight said:

I would be willing to bet it would garnish over 5 million players within the first week.

5 thousand tops. It would bomb hard on the switch.

Call of Duty regularly sold over a million on the Wii.

What is your explanation for why it would sell 200 times less on the Switch, a system with a bigger base and a stronger core focus?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ayla said:

Not a game or gerne Nintendo fans care about.

Nintendo fan here, I played every Call of Duty on Wii and Wii U, and I enjoy FPS games as a genre, with Doom being my GOTY for 2016 and Doom Eternal my GOTY for 2020.

But please, tell me more about my own taste in games.

He meant people who game on nintendo. Did u play doom eternal on your nintendo?

As long as they make the games for the actual system. I mean with the Switch 2 it'll obviously be a lot easier to just downgrade Xbox Series CoD graphics a bit to run on it, and I see no reason to expect a CoD on a Nintendo system before 2024 around when Switch 2 is likely to come out. So it's not really a huge concern anyway cuz nobody expects this to affect the Switch.

But yeah CoD on Switch 2, made for Switch 2. That'll sell millions. Not the many millions it sells to the PS/Xbox audience because those audiences have been made around the fact that CoD is one of the major games to get on those systems, but still there would be plenty of people who want to play CoD from anyone on a Nintendo hybrid as long as its actually made for the system and not some poor running port from the consoles.

KratosLives said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo fan here, I played every Call of Duty on Wii and Wii U, and I enjoy FPS games as a genre, with Doom being my GOTY for 2016 and Doom Eternal my GOTY for 2020.

But please, tell me more about my own taste in games.

He meant people who game on nintendo. Did u play doom eternal on your nintendo?

Yes I did.

There was enough Doom 2016 players to get it ported. Probably won't know how much of it sold because Nintendo is like the only company that regularly gives sales totals for their games, or at least in a way that can be traced to X platform, but never underestimate the value of playing X on your toilet or on a train or a plane.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Despite having my rest with the COD games for a while, maybe I'll snatch one of the future games ... When it goes down to sale of course 😆

Also, expect a single one of them to occupy more than half the space in your SD card storage lol. Unless we get them to actually compress their damn files for once lol

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

If the game is of the same caliber as the other platforms (Xbox, Playstation and PC) in terms of quality, but isn't a simple back-port with downgraded visuals, but built from the ground up for Nintendo's platforms, then I say go for it.

You can't be on to many platforms, more choice is great.

Honestly I think they'd still be a market for graphically downgraded ports, the Switch has shown plenty of people are fine with lesser visuals in exchange for hybrid functionality.

COD got 5 entries on the Wii that were a big downgrade from PC/PS3/360 graphically, but they had their own appeal for those of us who liked aiming with a pointer.

It would still have lesser visuals... But it's far easier to make a game look great on Switch if they build the game up for the platform... Rather than take an already established game/engine/technology base and just make concessions and cutbacks for the platform until it's acceptable on the hardware... We have seen the results when that is done poorly... I.E. ARK Survival Evolved. - But has improved as of late.

And it's not just about looking great, it's also about performance, CoD at 30fps isn't a fun experience... Especially if you intend to push cross-platform multiplayer.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Honestly I think they'd still be a market for graphically downgraded ports, the Switch has shown plenty of people are fine with lesser visuals in exchange for hybrid functionality.

COD got 5 entries on the Wii that were a big downgrade from PC/PS3/360 graphically, but they had their own appeal for those of us who liked aiming with a pointer.

It would still have lesser visuals... But it's far easier to make a game look great on Switch if they build the game up for the platform... Rather than take an already established game/engine/technology base and just make concessions and cutbacks for the platform until it's acceptable on the hardware... We have seen the results when that is done poorly... I.E. ARK Survival Evolved. - But has improved as of late.

And it's not just about looking great, it's also about performance, CoD at 30fps isn't a fun experience... Especially if you intend to push cross-platform multiplayer.

While it'd be cool to see one developed from the ground up, I feel like a port is probably more likely since it's probably cheaper to convert a game that already exists than build one from scratch.

There have been low quality Switch ports like the 2018 port of Ark (though the new 2022 port is a huge improvement) but there have also been a lot of good ones like Alien Isolation, Dragon Quest 11, Dying Light, Nier Automata, Sniper Elite 4, etc. It all depends on whether the team are given the necessary time and resource and if their skills are up to the task.

And I personally found COD enjoyable at 30fps on the Wii. A lot of originally 60fps game have worked fine at 30fps on Switch.

It's also entirely possible that Switch's successor will be out by the time they can bring it across, so the limitations of the current hardware wouldn't matter then.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 December 2022

Eh, I didn't miss COD on Nintendo, so this makes no difference to me really.

If the deal closes and Activision Blizzard becomes part of Microsoft, by the time we start seeing Call of Duty on Nintendo platforms it is entirely possible the successor to the Switch would be available. I don't know the power it would have, but you would think it would be above PS4/Xbone. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.