By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft enters agreement to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo

This is just to make themselves look good going up against sony. Microsoft doesn't see nintento as a main competitor.

Around the Network

I wonder if cloud versions later on would be sufficient since native ports would get increasingly hard to do even for the successor when that becomes a few years old. If the acquisition isn't blocked it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Native ports shouldn't be a problem on the successor unless it's incredibly underpowered even by portable standards.
The Wii got ports of Modern Warfare 1 and 3, Black Ops, and World at War from PS3/360, and that's a bigger power gap than exists between Switch and PS4/XBO.
COD will need to run on the Series S, so it shouldn't be a big jump from there to the next Switch.

curl-6 said:

Native ports shouldn't be a problem on the successor unless it's incredibly underpowered even by portable standards.
The Wii got ports of Modern Warfare 1 and 3, Black Ops, and World at War from PS3/360, and that's a bigger power gap than exists between Switch and PS4/XBO.
COD will need to run on the Series S, so it shouldn't be a big jump from there to the next Switch.

It'll be possible yeah but when it's 2030 and the PS6 and next Xbox have been out for 2-3 years the Series S will be having a hard time so I wonder how they're gonna handle it considering the feature and content parity part. The 360 and PS3 versions of Black Ops 3 notably did not have full feature and content parity with the PS4 and Xbox One versions so it's a big deal if they're legally obligated to not be cut back like that.

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

It'll be possible yeah but when it's 2030 and the PS6 and next Xbox have been out for 2-3 years the Series S will be having a hard time so I wonder how they're gonna handle it considering the feature and content parity part. The 360 and PS3 versions of Black Ops 3 notably did not have full feature and content parity with the PS4 and Xbox One versions so it's a big deal if they're legally obligated to not be cut back like that.

Well, content complete doesn't mean they can't be cut from 60fps to 30fps or render at a very low resolution with DLSS to compensate. They may struggle technically towards the end of the successor's life, but as long as they run at all they're covered in terms of the contract.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Norion said:

Well, content complete doesn't mean they can't be cut from 60fps to 30fps or render at a very low resolution with DLSS to compensate. They may struggle technically towards the end of the successor's life, but as long as they run at all they're covered in terms of the contract.

That's a reason I wonder if a cloud version would be allowed later on since if it is I could see a lot of people preferring that to a native one that runs badly. Either way it would be very interesting to see how they end up handling it and how well the series would sell on there.

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

That's a reason I wonder if a cloud version would be allowed later on since if it is I could see a lot of people preferring that to a native one that runs badly. Either way it would be very interesting to see how they end up handling it and how well the series would sell on there.

It's a possibility during a few intervening years I suppose.

Shouldn't be necessary in the near term though. But yeah, will be interesting to see.

I think COD could do quite well on Switch 2, it sold sustainably well even back on the Wii.

The Switch 2 could have a very good time with the Call of Duty audience. But I heard Nintendo really needs a better online system.

KratosLives said:

This is just to make themselves look good going up against sony. Microsoft doesn't see nintendo as a main competitor.

They also don't see PS as a competitor either, apparently. Until they do, which they really don't, because they never did, except for those few times, but that was just speculation or misinterpretation..

Now all MS needs to do is partner with or outright buy Disney.

curl-6 said:

or render at a very low resolution with DLSS to compensate. 

Or even use FSR 2.0, I saw miraculous results on Hogwarts Legacy on the Steam Deck