By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft enters agreement to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo

Soundwave said:
shikamaru317 said:

They are going to need bigger carts on Switch 2 anyway. 

512GB SD Cards are pretty cheap these days ($50) ... you wonder how long it will take for 1TB cards to get into that price range. 

They would alleviate the cart issue quite a bit, even though people hate it you could have just a 32GB cartridge with enough of the game on it to get you up and playing and the rest on SD Card. 

Maybe Nintendo can do two SD Card slots for the next Switch, that would help expand storage a lot too. I'd assume probably 128GB on board flash. 

512GB should be fine for switch 2 since i think textures will only need to be 1080p resolution and then there will be DLSS to make it look like 4k.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

COD did well enough on Wii that it kept coming back year after year.

COD would do better on the Switch than the Wii versions did. Could probably top 2 million I think. 

The issue really is more that the current Switch can't run the console games as is and making a bespoke HD version is probably more costly these days. 

MS probably has been given some indication on the spec range for the Switch successor so they probably feel like that system can run CODs for a while at least. 

The Switch already runs games more demanding than Call of Duty.

COD targets 60fps even on the base PS4 and Xbox One, while Switch has proven capable of running games that can only manage 30fps on the 8th gen twins like Witcher 3, Hellblade, World War Z, Dying Light, etc.

While I expect the games will end up releasing on the successor, that's because I expect it will be out by the time they can close the deal and develop the port, not because the Switch can't do it.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

COD would do better on the Switch than the Wii versions did. Could probably top 2 million I think. 

The issue really is more that the current Switch can't run the console games as is and making a bespoke HD version is probably more costly these days. 

MS probably has been given some indication on the spec range for the Switch successor so they probably feel like that system can run CODs for a while at least. 

COD targets 60fps even on the base PS4 and Xbox One, while Switch has proven capable of running games that can only manage 30fps on the 8th gen twins like Witcher 3, Hellblade, World War Z, Dying Light, etc.

While I expect the games will end up releasing on the successor, that's because I expect it will be out by the time they can close the deal and develop the port, not because the Switch can't do it.

The 60 fps is kinda important for COD games though, don't think you could do the whole "well lets just port it to Switch but make it 30 fps with some dips to 25 fps here and there". 

That probably wouldn't work. I mean they could do it but it probably wouldn't be popular with COD players. 

Really for MS this is more of a clever way of putting the anti-trust judges trying to rule against their purchase of Acti-Blizzard in a tough spot. If they nix it they're basically canning COD games for 100 million Switch owners even if it's just ports of older games and/or a port of COD Mobile for now, so they'd be put in an uncomfortable spot of denying content to gamers while trying to argue the exact opposite against MS. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

The 60 fps is kinda important for COD games though, don't think you could do the whole "well lets just port it to Switch but make it 30 fps with some dips to 25 fps here and there". 

That probably wouldn't work. I mean they could do it but it probably wouldn't be popular with COD players. 

60fps was a key feature for Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein, Nier Automata, and other games from PS4/Xbone, and those all worked fine on Switch at 30fps. COD was reduced to 30fps on the Wii as well and still worked and was accepted.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

60fps was a key feature for Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein, Nier Automata, and other games from PS4/Xbone, and those all worked fine on Switch at 30fps. COD was reduced to 30fps on the Wii as well and still worked and was accepted.

That was back in the mid 2000s though ... COD these days especially for competetive multiplayer really needs the 60 fps. Like yeah you could probably get away with 30 fps on the campaign mode but campaign mode isn't really the real draw of COD. 

They could port older PS3-360 era COD games to Switch and have them run at 60 just fine though. Or COD Mobile. 

Switch 2 can then get the more recent games. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

That was back in the mid 2000s though ... COD these days especially for competetive multiplayer really needs the 60 fps. Like yeah you could probably get away with 30 fps on the campaign mode but campaign mode isn't really the real draw of COD. 

They could port older PS3-360 era COD games to Switch and have them run at 60 just fine though. Or COD Mobile. 

Switch 2 can then get the more recent games. 

The 30fps COD ports continued into the 2010s, and the series was already foremost about online multiplayer in the 7th gen, with a strong focus on 60fps.

Other 60fps online multiplayer titles like Fortnite and Apex Legends have seen 30fps ports in recent years.

Regardless, the deal isn't set to close until well into 2023, and since port development takes time, I expect that by the time COD is ready to go Switch's successor will be out anyway.

Well good for them. MS brought Minecraft to Nintendo and now CoD.
I will assume if Nintendo doesn't have any new hardware upgrades, this would be a Cloud streaming thing until they do.

We most likely won't see a COD on this generations Switch then. Sony missed out.

You can tell from the recent comments made by Spencer and other MS executives that they have some attitude regarding Sony for all of this. I say good on Sony for that. If you recall the Bethesda purchase, Spencer specifically said he couldn’t talk about where games were going to be in the future because the deal was not done at the time and for legal reasons he couldn't say anything. That was specifically said to deflect the fact he was taking future Bethesda games away from Sony. (Making them smaller) Now all of the sudden he can hand out 10 year deals to everyone when it comes to CoD on other platforms. I thought he couldn’t make arrangements like that due to legal issues? It’s because he was lying the first time around is why.

You see, when you don’t challenge MS when they make these acquisitions, they will take away these games from Sony or whoever else. They’re deflecting now because someone actually stood up to them and now they are scared as it keeps Spencer awake at night. He can blast them in the media with PR statements all he wants but the fact of the matter is all these extra concessions are because Sony stood up to them this time.

Earlier in the year, they offered 3 extra years to Sony and that was it. Now they’re tweeting in the middle of the night offering 10 years deals to everyone the night before an FTC meeting. So congrats to Nintendo and Valve for getting offered 10 year deals but it’s because of Sony that this happened. These are calculated PR moves and desperate attempts to get this deal passed.

You need to stand up and challenge MS in this new era. Otherwise you’re going to lose the Bethesda’s of the world and the franchises that were once on your platform like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc. “When we all play, we all win”

I can't be the only person who burst out laughing when reading the title of this thread

我是广州人