By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

drbunnig said:

- Revisiting the levels post game with another character is more unique this time round.
- For the first time in this particular style of game in this series, the hub world is greatly reduced. Level selection is done using a basic map screen.
- It has the same Metacritic score as its predecessor

Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Around the Network

So all games were guessed already until now. Some new ones;

21 - I guess they couldn't really model his... thing, and couldn't really program a... stream, so the guy's just standing there.

20 - Some Magic Potion here, some Magic Potion there.

S.Peelman said:

So all games were guessed already until now. Some new ones;

21 - I guess they couldn't really model his... thing, and couldn't really program a... stream, so the guy's just standing there.

20 - Some Magic Potion here, some Magic Potion there.

Could #21 be GoldenEye? Thinking of the bathroom in Facility.

mZuzek said:

Guessed by @coolbeans

Yeah, it does say +13 there. It's not wrong, that's actually what happened. That is to say, last year's list was wrong for putting this game so low. The thing is, I always replayed the other 3D Zeldas many times, but never felt compelled to replay Majora's Mask (only did it once for the remake). So while I formed a very consolidated opinion on the other games in the series, this one was always the weird one that I played way back when. And I'm sometimes consumed by my recency bias.

What this also meant, is that when I watched first playthroughs of all the 3D Zeldas this year, this one was the most exciting, because my memory of it wasn't nearly as fresh. And even if I stand by this game not being much my style, it is an absolutely amazing game. The fact that it was made in close to 1 year is just mind-boggling, because outside of the reused assets, it doesn't show any signs of being rushed - if anything it's quite the opposite, with an insane attention to detail not often seen even in games with long development cycles.

Even if I played it twice before, this year was when Majora's Mask totally blew me away. I obviously remembered it tackling all these heavy themes, how people deal with grief and imminent destruction and all that stuff, but what I didn't remember was just how well it handled these. It's not just saying these things for the sake of it, it makes you really feel it, the way the characters react to all the events that are happening in Termina feels believable and real, which is funny because most of the faces you see already existed in Ocarina of Time, but this is the game where you remember them. And through living the same cycle endlessly, of being with these people as they descend into either madness, desperation, or hopelessness, over and over again, you begin to care about them, and it makes you want to bring the cycle to an end, to save Termina for all the people who live in it. In a series of games that are all about saving the world, none of them made you care as much as Majora's Mask does. It may never be my favorite Zelda game, but it's genuinely hard to argue against it being the best. I just hope I don't have to keep reminding myself of that.

Top 50 >>

I agree. Back when it first got released, I remember disliking the whole time limit angle. It made me feel rushed and thus discouraged from exploring, which has always been among the Legend of Zelda's top sources of appeal to me. But I played it again more recently -- inspired by Evan's Legend of Zelda Replay series here on VG Chartz -- and wow! Where Ocarina of Time for me has begun to show its age a little, with so many other games having reused and expanded upon its key ingredients over the years, Majora's Mask now stands out a lot more to me as an experience that remains remarkably fresh, with a unique and powerful thematic focus that feels even more prescient today, and a play style that seems altogether appropriate to it. I've straight-up fallen in love with this twisted version of Hyrule that is Termina! I think I now like it even better than Ocarina of Time. It's aged better and gets to me more. Just goes to show that sometimes trying something very different is just the right course after all.

S.Peelman said:
drbunnig said:

- Revisiting the levels post game with another character is more unique this time round.
- For the first time in this particular style of game in this series, the hub world is greatly reduced. Level selection is done using a basic map screen.
- It has the same Metacritic score as its predecessor

Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Correct you are. Playing as Luigi was definitely more fun in this game for me.

Around the Network

Remaining clues (added some more)

#36 (incorrect guesses - A Short Hike)
- Do you want to go hiking or mountain climbing?
- I killed him earlier, why’s he still on the floor? Oh well, I’ll walk past and… no, wait, he’s alive, and more deadly than before.
- Opening that door is a riskier move this time around.
- There's a moment late on where running is a risky move. You're in trouble if you haven't cleared the hallways beforehand.
- A lot of iconic dialogue is now sadly missing.
- Remake of a game that itself was originally intended to be a remake.

- Now you have to collect stat points and equipment upgrades, rather than finding / earning the money to do so.
- Features the first appearance in the series of a person better known for featuring on a stunt / prank show.
- There's also a Marvel character and a Star Wars character available as unlockables.
- Like other games in this series, it features a soundtrack of licenced songs from rock and hip hop artists
- The game's title features the name of probably the most prominent figure from this particular field.

- There’s more toilets this time round.
- And a lot less variation when playing from the alternative perspective.
- The stalker is now more attentive and persistent...
- ...although he loses the element of surprise by making so much damn noise.

- Many who have played this will surely have experienced heartbreak in the engine room.
- One of the heroes here first featured in another game in a different genre. The other makes their gaming debut here.
- Our heroes show they can play their namesake instruments

- You can trust those little simians in the opening level, but after that they’re going to start attacking you.
- You visit five different locations in this game. The first and last are preset - you get to choose which order you visit the middle three in.
- The console version was less forgiving due to a different save system, and being unable to adjust the brightness of the visuals.

- Wow, those birds are well armed and have serious bank.

- Not sure how all those birds have survived so long, seeing as water damages them.

My list so far

Adding the 3rd hint for these remaining games:

24) To be fair the game does warn you when you go down the dark path
Hint 2: Which is appropriate since it's a lot harder
Hint 3: Though I didn't really have a bad time until maybe the fiftieth time dying to the final boss

23) While this game is quite literally unfinished, I still think it's worthy of this spot
Hint 2: That's gonna have to wait. How long? Maybe a day... maybe another 2 years.
Hint 3: The name of the game is an anagram for it's more famous predecessor.

21) Is it just me or is the villain of the previous game staring at you the whole time?
Hint 2: There's certainly something rather ominous up there
Hint 3: And you only have 3 days before it comes crashing down

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

21) Is it just me or is the villain of the previous game staring at you the whole time?

Majora's Mask

drbunnig said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Majora's Mask

That was quick :D

Right of course.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

23) While this game is quite literally unfinished, I still think it's worthy of this spot
Hint 2: That's gonna have to wait. How long? Maybe a day... maybe another 2 years.
Hint 3: The name of the game is an anagram for it's more famous predecessor.

Hmm, Deltarune?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]