By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PlayStation 5 shipped 25.0m units by September 30th. Lifetime sales expectations?

The PlayStation 5 shipped 25.0m units by September 30th. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 70 million 45 5.74%

70.0 - 79.9 million 21 2.68%

80.0 - 89.9 million 57 7.27%

90.0 - 99.9 million 115 14.67%

100.0 - 109.9 million 226 28.83%

110.0 - 119.9 million 138 17.60%

120.0 - 129.9 million 90 11.48%

130.0 - 139.9 million 30 3.83%

140.0 - 150.0 million 9 1.15%

More than 150 million 53 6.76%

Total:784
eva01beserk said:
ConservagameR said:

What I think will end up making the biggest difference, will be XB Studios, new acquisitions included. They need at least a few releases to be absolute bangers, or they need many to be decent, to keep this sales pace up. If XB Studios keeps releasing games in anywhere near the shape of Halo Infinite, they're going to start seeing a considerable hardware decline as PS5 stock much improves. Just wait a while longer, we've got great games coming, won't be able to win over those interested in a Series, or with a Series console, near as long as it did with the XB One.

If XB comes up with enough good first party games in the next year or two, I don't see PS5 getting close to PS4 total sales. If those XB first party titles don't cut it, PS5 should be able to get relatively close to PS4. I'd say this would make about a 15 million sales difference for PS5, depending on how XB handles their first party output. That would basically mean PS5 sales somewhere between 100 - 115 million units sold no matter what I guess.

Sort off. But its more on sonys first party output. Cus they are the market leader and have a big ps4 installbase that is itching to upgrade. The ps4 owners dont only have to be convinced that xbox is doing better but that they are better than sony if they are to jump ship.

PS Studios output matters as well, but nowhere near as much. Sony have a proven track record and with GoW Ragnarok getting yet another extremely high review score, people are at the point where they have a considerable amount of trust in PS first party output.

XB doesn't have this luxury, and with the Halo Infinite launch and handling since, they've pretty much got just expectations still. Until XB puts out a few undeniably amazing first party games, or starts and keeps putting out widely considered worthy games, they won't have near the confidence from people as PS does. 

PS would need to put out a couple AAA games in a row that flat out bombed hard for people to feel uneasy about their future games. While that's possible it's very unlikely based on what we've seen for over a decade now.

Around the Network

120-140 million.

120+ million

I believe VR2 will be a huge selling point

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:

120+ million

If PSVR2 takes off, Xbox will probably officially support a 3rd party headset, likely Quest 3.

Kyuu said:
SKMBlake said:

120+ million

If PSVR2 takes off, Xbox will probably officially support a 3rd party headset, likely Quest 3.

No, worse, they will release Kinect 2

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Kyuu said:

No, worse, they will release Kinect 2

Gods help us.

120 million. I think people are crazy for thinking less than 100 million.

I'm still sticking with 105. I don't think the console market has grown and i think demand will normalize, and there are already signs of that happening.

I think the only way it goes over 105 is if the generation lasts longer than expected. This is certainly possible. Moore's law is reaching its limits and a pro refresh could massively extend the life span of this generation.

About 105, but closer to 110 or a little above is still relatively likely.

It's still tough to predict the next 5+years. We'll have to see if once PS5 shortages reduce greatly (hopefully 2023) how much that will affect sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chrkeller said:

120 million. I think people are crazy for thinking less than 100 million.

I feel the same way. The ps5 might be the longest playstation generation yet. You need a santa monica studio plus countless support people to make something as high level as God of War Ragnarok. And that runs on the ps4. How would a game possibly look that the ps5 cannot run. It's generation is going to be very long before people migrate to the ps6.

Now you can say that even if gow runs on the ps4, that console does not sell anymore. But: these are lessons learnt. There was no need for the ps5 this early. It could have been a better machine with 2 extra years. Sony knows that and will change the ps6 release accordingly. I say 2029 at the earliest. Until than ps5 will be over 120 easily.

Also, everybody seems very satisfied with the ps4 and its exclusives, especially in comparison to the xbox one and its games. That is (hopefully) gonna change come this generation. And it is going to make the xbox series sell more than last gen. But as it stands: most ps4 owners have good reason to stay with playstation (and perhaps buy an xbox in addition for elder scrolls, fallout, halo, and other titles in their ever more compelling catalogue).

I also think that due to online integration, trophies, a digital game catalogue you theoretically carry over to the new generation, people are less likely to jump ship than 2 gens ago.

I can see 130. But 120 due to its unfortunate start is more likely.