By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 25 Million Units as of September 2022, 3.3 Million for the Quarter

Crown said:

At this point there is no way they reach the 18 mil by the end of their fiscal year like they wanted, they probably gonna end up between 12-13 mil no?

Sony actually expects to ship more than their 18M forecast for FY22. Also, if I read the report correctly, they had 3M PS5's manufactured in the quarter, but not shipped or sold, meaning they are stockpiling units for a massive holiday push. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Taking a look at the VGChartz estimates, we had sold 3.09M PS5s during the same quarter a year ago compared to 3.3M shipped, while this year we have 3.00M sold compared to 3.3M shipped. I would say we are at most 100,000 undertracked for the quarter. I'll adjust up our PS5 numbers to match where they were a year ago.

Edit:

PS5 adjusted up slightly and we now have it at 24.05M at the end of September compared to 25M shipped. That is at most 4 weeks of sales at the current pace. But likely less than 4 weeks. 

I'm off to bed and will take a closer look at this tomorrow to see if any other adjustments need to happen.

So with the adjustments PS5 beat the Switch for number 1 for the week ending oct 1st.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Sales for PS5 and to an extent Xbox Series are hard to compare to older systems. The number of sales seem to be determined more by how many units are produced instead of how many want to buy a new system.

Crown said:

At this point there is no way they reach the 18 mil by the end of their fiscal year like they wanted, they probably gonna end up between 12-13 mil no?

PS5 is 5.7m after 2 quarters, my prediction would be 8 million in Q3 and 4 million in Q4 for 17.7m, so i think they will  be close. Quarters are not spread evenly, the holiday quarter is typically around 45% of sales for the whole year.

yo33331 said:

when is the nintendo report coming out

In a week. I think it is going to be close if Switch can ship 4 million for the quarter, i think yes maybe 4.1 million. It will also be close if Xenoblade 3 can ship 2 million and Splatoon 3 can ship 10 million. I think Xenoblade 3 will but Splatoon 3 will be just below.

Around the Network
PS5 v PS4: Shipments by Fiscal Year

PS5 v PS4: Shipments by Calendar Year

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 01 November 2022

*5.70 million after 2 quarters, projected to ship 18.00 million in total.

PotentHerbs said:
Crown said:

Sony actually expects to ship more than their 18M forecast for FY22. Also, if I read the report correctly, they had 3M PS5's manufactured in the quarter, but not shipped or sold, meaning they are stockpiling units for a massive holiday push. 

That would seem a strange move if true when demand is as high as it is, but they would certainly need something like that if they're to reach their forecast.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

It looks like we should be seeing some monster sales in just over a week

They apparently produced 6.5 million PS5's in the same quarter they shipped 3.3 million PS5's. What they have stockpiled for Q4 (FYQ3) is already comparable to last year's shipments for the same quarter. Let's see if they'll manage to meet demand before Spider-Man 2 is released.