By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2022 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

Chicho said:

Counted as Japanese sales of course. Famitsu counts only the first sell, after you buy it what you do with it is not tracked by then. They track retailer to consumer not private sales or second hand sales.

Eek, that's really not good for PS5 in Japan then. I wonder how many PS5s are actually hooked up the homes of Japanese players.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chicho said:

Counted as Japanese sales of course. Famitsu counts only the first sell, after you buy it what you do with it is not tracked by then. They track retailer to consumer not private sales or second hand sales.

Eek, that's really not good for PS5 in Japan then. I wonder how many PS5s are actually hooked up the homes of Japanese players.

it depends on exactly how much of it is, but considering the current environment i really wonder how much japanese sales are limited by stock at this point... or is it more prominant casue simply the japanese not buying them at this point. it actually might be the latter as most games they want come out on switch/ps4 at this point...

curl-6 said:
Chicho said:

This overseas scalping is probably the biggest reason why the PS5 has such low software sales in Japan.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

This overseas scalping is probably the biggest reason why the PS5 has such low software sales in Japan.

Overseas scalping is also the reason why hardware sales are as high as they are.  PS5 was never going to be as popular as PS4 in Japan.  But the scalping has made hardware sales higher than they should be and software sales lower than they should be.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kakadu18 said:

Overseas scalping is also the reason why hardware sales are as high as they are.  PS5 was never going to be as popular as PS4 in Japan.  But the scalping has made hardware sales higher than they should be and software sales lower than they should be.

What makes you think that?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kakadu18 said:

I wouldn't say thats a given, because even with less overall demand, the PS5 could be more front loaded than the PS4. Meaning it sells less than 9m, but sells to smaller userbase a lot quicker, having it track equal to PS4 for its earlier years and then drop off later. Either way 2023 is going to a very interesting year to watch its Japanese sales 

deerox said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Not bothering with the Japanese market anymore. Without 3rd party developers releasing their popular series on the PS5 sales would be competing with the XS for last spot now.

You can see it very well with Software sales, afaik the ratio is still below 1, as in less than 1 game per console.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
deerox said:

Not bothering with the Japanese market anymore. Without 3rd party developers releasing their popular series on the PS5 sales would be competing with the XS for last spot now.

You can see it very well with Software sales, afaik the ratio is still below 1, as in less than 1 game per console.

Why do you think that Japanese companies are going to stop putting their games on Playstation? I haven't seen that any indication that big companies like Square-Enix, Sega, Koei-Tecmo, Bandai Namco or Capcom are not going to release their games on PS5.

deerox said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Why do you think that Japanese companies are going to stop putting their games on Playstation? I haven't seen that any indication that big companies like Square-Enix, Sega, Koei-Tecmo, Bandai Namco or Capcom are not going to release their games on PS5.

I don't think they stop, I'm saying that if they ever did, the sales would have been rock bottom as Sony themselves does nothing to support sales in the market. The very low software sales attest to both this and that quite a lot of consoles have been scalped out of the country.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
deerox said:

I don't think they stop, I'm saying that if they ever did, the sales would have been rock bottom as Sony themselves does nothing to support sales in the market. The very low software sales attest to both this and that quite a lot of consoles have been scalped out of the country.

The PS4 didn't sell because of Sony's support, it sold because of third-parties. The only Japanese first-party game that sold really well in Japan was Grand Turismo Sport and even that only sold 280k, less then Horizon that sold 290k, Spiderman which sold 307k and Ghost of Tsushima which sold 439k. If PS5 gets just as much third-party support as the PS4 did then I don't see any reason as to why the PS5 won't do just as well.

Best selling PS4 games in Japan: