Xbox One 0 0%

PS3 27 19.29%

Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140
Kyuu said:
Azzanation said:

The N64 for me. I had both a PS1 and N64 and the quality difference was night and day. I could still turn on my N64 to play games, meanwhile outside of a small portion of PS1 games, it was literally a shovelware console that hasnt aged well at all.

PS1 has a larger amount of great games that people still talk about today than N64's entire library, this is even without counting the excellent NES and SNES 3rd party games that were ported to PS1 and skipped the N64.

How many games did you play/own on each platform?

No chance, not even a comparison on a quality level. 

My favorite PS1 games which I owned were Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Crash 1,2, 3, Colony Wars etc. GT I never owned but I'll say that deserves to be in the conversation.

Compare that to the N64 library and the PS1 looks shallow. The N64 has it beat with quality and quantity on an exclusive front.

Around the Network

Gamecube easily for me.

Had the best Zelda offerings on a single system. Loved all of them.
Smash Bros. Melee, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, WarioWare, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Luigi's Mansion
Monkey Ball 2, Soul Calibur 2, Megaman and X collections, Sonic collections, SSX 3, Simpsons Hit and Run, GoldenEye Rogue Agent.
No it didn't get every third party game, but for me, it got the ones that mattered.

1doesnotsimply

Back in the day I preferred and thought the ps1 was better than the N64.... but when I retro game I feel the opposite. Some of those N64 games are still just amazing, while most ps1 games just are meh. Mostly because of how horrid the controls are. RE and Silent Hill control terrible. Meanwhile Zelda, Mario and Banjo, yeah they control great.

I'm going to cheat here.

Have we had this conversation before? Yes. The Wii had the most hollow victory in the history of gaming. This is the basis here. The third place finisher in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360, had a library so ridiculously far ahead of the "winner" that the very idea that it "lost" to the Wii, makes me want to fight you in a parking lot. To say nothing for the actual winner, the PS3, which pulled out a relatively narrow victory over the 360. I literally hate Microsoft by the way. If a comet just big enough to destroy their headquarters and nothing else, hit their headquarters and destroyed nothing else, I would do a little dance.

Of course, I understand that you are using hard units sold as your defining metric, as is VGC tradition, but the disparity in actual quality is so pronounced, that, as I have said before, my personal PS3 library, handicapping myself to third party only games, is better than the sum total of the entire Wii library. Easy. If I included PS3 exclusives in the comparison, it might be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

I mean, there's no disputing the numbers, but if there's ever been a more clear-cut case of a generational sales leader also being the obvious worst console in any given gen, ( yet, still a decent console. It doesn't suck outright ) I'd like someone to tell me about it. But, the Wii deserves the ignominious classification I am giving it.

I'll go with the Genesis, slightly ahead of the Xbox and the Dreamcast, as the best console that didn't win it's generation.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

GameCube was a monster.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

Have we had this conversation before? Yes. The Wii had the most hollow victory in the history of gaming. This is the basis here. The third place finisher in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360, had a library so ridiculously far ahead of the "winner" that the very idea that it "lost" to the Wii, makes me want to fight you in a parking lot. To say nothing for the actual winner, the PS3, which pulled out a relatively narrow victory over the 360. I literally hate Microsoft by the way. If a comet just big enough to destroy their headquarters and nothing else, hit their headquarters and destroyed nothing else, I would do a little dance.

Come on, it's 2022 and some of you still haven't made peace with the Wii outselling the PS3 and 360?

Is it really that hard to just accept that sometimes your console of choice gets beaten by one you don't prefer?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 September 2022

Either the PS3 or the X360.

I like the Wii, but mostly because of it's exclusives, like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and other Nintendo titles. On the other hand, the PS3 and the 360 had an insane library of both first and third party games. I'm not sure which one of them deserves the title, it's probably a tie. Sony did an amzing job with the PS3 title, and Microsoft did great with the X360. But the third party support for both consoles were one of the best ever.

COKTOE said:

I'm going to cheat here.

Of course, I understand that you are using hard units sold as your defining metric, as is VGC tradition, but the disparity in actual quality is so pronounced, that, as I have said before, my personal PS3 library, handicapping myself to third party only games, is better than the sum total of the entire Wii library. Easy. If I included PS3 exclusives in the comparison, it might be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

I mean, there's no disputing the numbers, but if there's ever been a more clear-cut case of a generational sales leader also being the obvious worst console in any given gen, ( yet, still a decent console. It doesn't suck outright ) I'd like someone to tell me about it. But, the Wii deserves the ignominious classification I am giving it.

I'll go with the Genesis, slightly ahead of the Xbox and the Dreamcast, as the best console that didn't win it's generation.

Facts only

Kyuu said:
Azzanation said:

No chance, not even a comparison on a quality level. 

My favorite PS1 games which I owned were Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Crash 1,2, 3, Colony Wars etc. GT I never owned but I'll say that deserves to be in the conversation.

Compare that to the N64 library and the PS1 looks shallow. The N64 has it beat with quality and quantity on an exclusive front.

Yes chance!

You didn't answer my question though. I asked how many games you played and owned, not what your favorite games were, I was trying to make a point.

PS1 and N64 are comparable on the top 5, N64 edges it out because OoT and Mario 64 are more revolutionary than anything on Playstation. Outside the top 5, PS1 starts leading. Once they exit the top 15, it's a bloody massacre in PS1's favor lol, that's the consensus.

Some N64 games aged better than PS1's best visually, expected from a console that launched nearly two years later (they fucked up by sticking with cartridges though). Mechanically, no 3D game comes even close to aging as well as Crash Team Racing. And 5th gen 3D games, 3rd person adventure ones in particular, aged worse than SNES and later 2D games. PS1 and Saturn dominated the N64 in 2D games and traditional RPG's, both of which are mechanically almost unaffected by hardware limitations or the lack of the -now standard- dual stick controller setup. So which library aged better doesn't have a clear cut answer.

Of course its a massacre when one console has 1000 more games available but on a quality front, the N64 has more gems than duds where as the PS1 had more duds than Gems. 

The most memorable and revolutionary games on the N64 is on another level. Rare Studios alone made a giant difference. 

Example: I played Siphon Filter and MGS on PS1, i played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64. Id take the N64 games night and day. Even though MGS was amazing and a Masterpiece in its own right, Siphon Filter was bad. Where as Goldeneye and PD were revolutionary and game changing masterpieces.

I don’t consider Nintendo to be a direct competitor to MS and Sony since the PS360 generation, so I would say nobody lost that generation. But since you included the 360 as an option, that’s what I voted for. Otherwise the PSP would be my choice, but the Gamecube is up there too.