Xbox 360 26 18.57%

Xbox One 0 0%

PS3 27 19.29%

Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140
Kyuu said:

Mechanically, no 3D game comes even close to aging as well as Crash Team Racing.

What? Mario 64 controls like butter.

Around the Network
Proxy-Pie said:
Kyuu said:

Mechanically, no 3D game comes even close to aging as well as Crash Team Racing.

What? Mario 64 controls like butter.

Not the camera though.

Kyuu said:

PS1 had over 6000 (edit: actually... 7000) more games, and shovelware is irrelevant and misleading. Let's say:

Console A has a library of 5 games, all of them masterpieces. 100% masterpieces.

Console B has a library of 100 games, 15 of them masteepieces, 25 are very good, 60 are shovelware. 15% masterpieces.

Console B is objectively the superior platform by a wide margin. Successful platforms will always have more shovelware, Playstation, Xbox, Wii, Switch, and most of all... PC. But the shovelware don't detract from the quality of the existing great games, and are in fact a nice bonus, because there are plenty of gems hidden underneath the rubble and when you find them, you're in for a treat. Exploring that is pretty fun and definitely adds value. I'm actually willing to explore Saturn because it apparenly has more games released exclusively in Japan than N64's entire game library!

Your comparison is an odd one. Why use Syphon Filter to make a point when FF7 is one of your favorite games of all time? Syphon Filter doesn't even make the top 100 in so many people's favorite PS1 games. N64 has quality. PS1 has quality, quantity, diversity, and more games that have aged well, because it covers genres and styles that don't require precise control over the character and camera movement. Golden Eye aged poorly, as have the controls of most N64 classics. Maybe not as poorly as PS1's platformers/3rd person games, but pootly nevertheless. 2D didn't age at all... if anything, old 2D is arguably superior to modern 2D. Fighting games and RPG's are two genres that aged well... PS1 and Saturn excelled there.

And I wish you would answer my simple question, but it doesn't look like you want to. You're trying to pass an entirely subjective take (that is probably based on a very limited PS1 experience) as an objective point. The fact of the matter is... once you're done playing the few N64 must have, you're left with nothing great to play. PS1 didn't have that issue. There is something there for everyone.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's a VERY subjective one. Objectively, PS1 had quality AND quantity.

To each their own. Alot of PS1 games did not gain my interests except for afew. Where as the N64 library majority of the Nintendo and Rare games were must play. Its my opinion and preference not yours here. I dont care if a console has 10k games on it. I am basing this off quality and the N64 in my opinion destroyed my PS1 in that category. 

What question do you want me to answer? I thought i answered it a while ago.

VAMatt said:
QUAKECore89 said:

I'm a little obsessed with Dreamcast cause it had some enhanced games like Soul Reaver and ported from arcade cabinets territory and PC territory as well.

Funny thing is the Dreamcast is still getting games unofficially in modern days, they're mostly indies and fan-made games though but interesting.

"Mostly"? 

QUAKECore89 said:
VAMatt said:

I'm asking you. What games are not Indies or fan made?

*Stares at my Dreamcast collection*

No free time to type all Dreamcast games lol......

They didn't ask you to name all Dreamcast games.  You said:

"Funny thing is the Dreamcast is still getting games unofficially in modern days, they're mostly indies and fan-made games though but interesting."

So the question is, what games is Dreamcast still getting that are not indies or fan made?  The "mostly" implies that there are other games that would be by big developers.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
VAMatt said:

"Mostly"? 

QUAKECore89 said:

*Stares at my Dreamcast collection*

No free time to type all Dreamcast games lol......

They didn't ask you to name all Dreamcast games.  You said:

"Funny thing is the Dreamcast is still getting games unofficially in modern days, they're mostly indies and fan-made games though but interesting."

So the question is, what games is Dreamcast still getting that are not indies or fan made?  The "mostly" implies that there are other games that would be by big developers.

*stunned*

I'm at bad speaking or understanding in English, uh thank you and good bye!

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

I'm going to cheat here.

Have we had this conversation before? Yes. The Wii had the most hollow victory in the history of gaming. This is the basis here. The third place finisher in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360, had a library so ridiculously far ahead of the "winner" that the very idea that it "lost" to the Wii, makes me want to fight you in a parking lot. To say nothing for the actual winner, the PS3, which pulled out a relatively narrow victory over the 360. I literally hate Microsoft by the way. If a comet just big enough to destroy their headquarters and nothing else, hit their headquarters and destroyed nothing else, I would do a little dance.

Of course, I understand that you are using hard units sold as your defining metric, as is VGC tradition, but the disparity in actual quality is so pronounced, that, as I have said before, my personal PS3 library, handicapping myself to third party only games, is better than the sum total of the entire Wii library. Easy. If I included PS3 exclusives in the comparison, it might be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

I mean, there's no disputing the numbers, but if there's ever been a more clear-cut case of a generational sales leader also being the obvious worst console in any given gen, ( yet, still a decent console. It doesn't suck outright ) I'd like someone to tell me about it. But, the Wii deserves the ignominious classification I am giving it.

I'll go with the Genesis, slightly ahead of the Xbox and the Dreamcast, as the best console that didn't win it's generation.

Bash on the Wii library all you want, but I will say this:

I own more Wii games than I do for any other console.  I'm talking every generation.  The Wii library has a surprising number of gems.  If the used market ever gets back to normal, pre-pandemic prices, I am probably going to pick up even more games for it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
COKTOE said:

I'm going to cheat here.

Have we had this conversation before? Yes. The Wii had the most hollow victory in the history of gaming. This is the basis here. The third place finisher in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360, had a library so ridiculously far ahead of the "winner" that the very idea that it "lost" to the Wii, makes me want to fight you in a parking lot. To say nothing for the actual winner, the PS3, which pulled out a relatively narrow victory over the 360. I literally hate Microsoft by the way. If a comet just big enough to destroy their headquarters and nothing else, hit their headquarters and destroyed nothing else, I would do a little dance.

Of course, I understand that you are using hard units sold as your defining metric, as is VGC tradition, but the disparity in actual quality is so pronounced, that, as I have said before, my personal PS3 library, handicapping myself to third party only games, is better than the sum total of the entire Wii library. Easy. If I included PS3 exclusives in the comparison, it might be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

I mean, there's no disputing the numbers, but if there's ever been a more clear-cut case of a generational sales leader also being the obvious worst console in any given gen, ( yet, still a decent console. It doesn't suck outright ) I'd like someone to tell me about it. But, the Wii deserves the ignominious classification I am giving it.

I'll go with the Genesis, slightly ahead of the Xbox and the Dreamcast, as the best console that didn't win it's generation.

Bash on the Wii library all you want, but I will say this:

I own more Wii games than I do for any other console.  I'm talking every generation.  The Wii library has a surprising number of gems.  If the used market ever gets back to normal, pre-pandemic prices, I am probably going to pick up even more games for it.

Same here; I own over 40 games for Wii, it had so many lesser known bangers if you ventured off the beaten path.

It may not have had many AAA blockbusters but it had a ton of excellent AA/lower budget titles that I frankly found just as much fun. They didn't get a lot of advertising and so are mostly not well known outside of enthusiast circles, but they're there, and in combination with Nintendo's superb first party offerings like Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Xenoblade, it adds up to an awesome library.

Kyuu said:
Azzanation said:

To each their own. Alot of PS1 games did not gain my interests except for afew. Where as the N64 library majority of the Nintendo and Rare games were must play. Its my opinion and preference not yours here. I dont care if a console has 10k games on it. I am basing this off quality and the N64 in my opinion destroyed my PS1 in that category. 

What question do you want me to answer? I thought i answered it a while ago.

You can't determine the quality of something you didn't try (the software). Not having much interest in certain genres or games is of course fine (as long as the underlying cause isn't brand-worship/hate, which it very often is against massively supported systems like the PS1), but it doesn't make them low quality or shovelware. I would never give an opinion on a game I never played, that's just fucking weird!

The question I asked was "how many games did you play/own on N64 and PS1 each?"

Your opinion on PS1 is limited to your experience and is no reflection of the actual quality of the console (This applies to all of us. I talk about how incredible the PS1 is and yet I barely played over 150 games on it out of almost 8000 games. Didn't have the time or the money to play every highly regarded game and hidden gem. The internet didn't exist so my knowledge was quite limited too). I was curious how many games you played/owned on PS1 in particular, because 15 different people could have played 15 different sets of games (barring Gran Turismo, FF, Crash, MGS, RE, and Tekken re-appearing a number of times), so each of those 15 experienced a largely different platform, hence even the best selling game (the revolutionary Gran Turismo) had an attach rate of barely over 10%. There was more to the PS1 than just the top 10 or 20 most popular titles.

My PS1 was chipped so I had a draw full of games, I brought a few of them like FF7. I own all Nintendo and Rare games as well as other games like all the Turok games, WcW vs NWO and No Mercy which i still think are the best wrestling games even to today. All I can say is outside of the main few games, the N64 library of games isn't even comparable. I also dont care as much for JRPGs except for FF7 which i absolutely loved. Quantity of games does not mean quality. Not saying the PS1 doesn't have quality games but none of them except maybe 2 or 3 would sit in the top 10 best games of that gen when in comparison with the N64 library.

Again, my taste, I have searched up many games for the PS1 and many don't catch my interest. Maybe you love them but not for me. When it came to games that wowed me the most and also had the best time with my friends with, they were all on the N64.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 September 2022

Kyuu said:
Azzanation said:

My PS1 was chipped so I had a draw full of games, I brought a few of them like FF7. I own all Nintendo and Rare games as well as other games like all the Turok games, WcW vs NWO and No Mercy which i still think are the best wrestling games even to today. All I can say if outside of the main few games, n=the library of games isn't even comparable. I also dont care as much for JRPGs except for FF7 which i absolutely loved. Quantity of games does not mean quality. Not saying the PS1 doesn't have quality games but none of them except maybe 2 or 3 would sit in the top 10 best games of that gen when in comparison with the N64 library.

Again, my taste, I have searched up many games for the PS1 and many don't catch my interest. Maybe you love them but not for me. When it came to games that wowed me the most and also had the best time with my friends with, they were all on the N64.

Which is still a vague answer but at least you tried.

There are tons of great games that didn't catch my attention, many of them are from Nintendo, but I can't judge what I haven't played, simple as that. I used the internet long enough to know that the majority of PS1 downplaying comes from core Nintendo fans and angry Sega fans who played less than a dozen of games on the system and passed judgement on the rest of the library as if the 8000 games are created by a singular mediocre mind lol. If you're not one of those then good on you.

Bold: Just curious, but where did you get that number from? I couldn't find a source for that.

Kyuu said:
Azzanation said:

My PS1 was chipped so I had a draw full of games, I brought a few of them like FF7. I own all Nintendo and Rare games as well as other games like all the Turok games, WcW vs NWO and No Mercy which i still think are the best wrestling games even to today. All I can say if outside of the main few games, n=the library of games isn't even comparable. I also dont care as much for JRPGs except for FF7 which i absolutely loved. Quantity of games does not mean quality. Not saying the PS1 doesn't have quality games but none of them except maybe 2 or 3 would sit in the top 10 best games of that gen when in comparison with the N64 library.

Which is still a vague answer but at least you tried.

There are tons of great games that didn't catch my attention, many of them are from Nintendo, but I can't judge what I haven't played, simple as that. I used the internet long enough to know that the majority of PS1 downplaying comes from core Nintendo fans and angry Sega fans who played less than a dozen of games on the system and passed judgement on the rest of the library as if the 8000 games are created by a singular mediocre mind lol. If you're not one of those then good on you.

I can only base my experience on what i played and know about at the time. N64 had some of the greatest games ever made and were also the highest rated. 

PS1 had thousands of games which i am sure would have benefited all different types people but not for me. Again i am anwsering as my personal view of which is the best console which never sold the most in its generation. 

My anwser is the N64. The PS1 had alot of forgettable games, in my opinion.