Xbox 3 2.14%

Xbox 360 26 18.57%

Xbox One 0 0%

PS3 27 19.29%

Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140

umm I am surprised gamecube is higher than N64. for me N64 had the better games. mario 64 and mario kart 64>> mario sunshine and mario kart double dash.

Around the Network

My favourite is for sure the Gamecube. The Wii being backwards compatible with it let me enjoy some of its library as a kid the excellent Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door being one example.

Angelv577 said:

umm I am surprised gamecube is higher than N64. for me N64 had the better games. mario 64 and mario kart 64>> mario sunshine and mario kart double dash.

Yeah as someone who owned both, the N64 was way better. 

Games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time set new standards for gaming, while others like Banjo Kazooie and Starfox 64 were diamond tier, not to mention Rare in general releasing banger after banger.

GCN still had some gems, but on the whole it was a step down, with too many of its first party titles veering away from what made previous games great. Rare's decline and departure and the the subsequent lack of their amazing output from 1994-2001 was also a serious blow to the system.

N64 sold better for a reason.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 September 2022

Angelv577 said:

One reason for this is age. People born in the late 90's or later are much less likely to have experience with the N64 than people born in the 80's to early 90's.

Norion said:
Angelv577 said:

One reason for this is age. People born in the late 90's or later are much less likely to have experience with the N64 than people born in the 80's to early 90's.

True.  this is most likely the case.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Angelv577 said:

Yeah as someone who owned both, the N64 was way better. 

Games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time set new standards for gaming, while others like Banjo Kazooie and Starfox 64 were diamond tier, not to mention Rare in general releasing banger after banger.

GCN still had some gems, but on the whole it was a step down, with too many of its first party titles veering away from what made previous games great. Rare's decline and departure and the the subsequent lack of their amazing output from 1994-2001 was also a serious blow to the system.

N64 sold better for a reason.

yeah.  N64 was really something special.  it was a time when I depended om my parents to buy games so the only two games I really managed to own were mario and mario kart 64.  Those two alone gave me ton of hours.  then when I played zelda and golden eye on some friends house I was blown away.

Norion said:
Angelv577 said:

I was born in the 1970s, been gaming since Atari 2600, and I strongly prefer the Gamecube over the N64. 

Wind Waker/Twilight Princess >>>Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Resident Evil 4/Metroid Prime >> Goldeneye/Perfect Dark

Melee > Smash 64

SoulCalibur 2 >>> Mace: The Dark Age. Honestly, the N64 didn't have any really great fighting games.  Even Mortal Kombat was better on GC than N64

Tales of Symphonia/Skies of Arcadia/Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Crystal Chronicles >>> the negligible presence RPGs had in the N64's library.  To me, that was a major failure of the N64.

Third party support on Gamecube blew away third party support on N64. Which is kind of sad, because the Gamecube's third party support wasn't close to what the PS2 had on board.

I will definitely give the N64 the win on Mario. Super Mario 64 was something else, Sunshine was fun enough, but rather problematic in the camera and the gameplay wasn't quite there. I'll also give the N64 Star Fox, though I rather liked Assault. Mario Kart 64 vs. Double Dash... eh, I'd call that a draw. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 10 September 2022

I'll go with the PS3. It gave me so many great memories. My favorite exclusive is Demon's Souls which also happens to be one of my all-time favorites but others I really liked were Motorsport; Pacific Rift, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Not to mention all the great third party games that the winning console (Wii) didn't have: L.A. Noire, Fallout New Vegas/3, Max Payne 3, among others.

SanAndreasX said:
Norion said:

I was born in the 1970s, been gaming since Atari 2600, and I strongly prefer the Gamecube over the N64. 

Wind Waker/Twilight Princess >>>Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Resident Evil 4/Metroid Prime >> Goldeneye/Perfect Dark

Melee > Smash 64

SoulCalibur 2 >>> Mace: The Dark Age. Honestly, the N64 didn't have any really great fighting games.  Even Mortal Kombat was better on GC than N64

Tales of Symphonia/Skies of Arcadia/Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Crystal Chronicles >>> the negligible presence RPGs had in the N64's library.  To me, that was a major failure of the N64.

Third party support on Gamecube blew away third party support on N64. Which is kind of sad, because the Gamecube's third party support wasn't close to what the PS2 had on board.

I will definitely give the N64 the win on Mario. Super Mario 64 was something else, Sunshine was fun enough, but rather problematic in the camera and the gameplay wasn't quite there. I'll also give the N64 Star Fox, though I rather liked Assault. Mario Kart 64 vs. Double Dash... eh, I'd call that a draw. 

Being born that early probably helps you be objective with the two since childhood nostalgia won't be a factor. And man being able to go from the Atari 2600 to now is quite the journey. 

Norion said:

Being born that early probably helps you be objective with the two since childhood nostalgia won't be a factor. And man being able to go from the Atari 2600 to now is quite the journey. 

I mean, he is a 122 year old male gamer