Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140
QUAKECore89 said:
VAMatt said:

"Mostly"? 

And what do you think? lmao

I'm asking you. What games are not Indies or fan made?

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:

definitely ps3 for me. it took out the best of sony in a time of desperation. the ps3 is the only console I cant get rid of due to no BC on ps5.

I kind of felt that way at one time, but almost all of the games I really cared about on PS3 are available on current hardware. My two favorite PS3 games were Valkyria Chronicles and Ni no Kuni. My 60GB PS3 finally yellow-lighted and Sony doesn't do repairs on it anymore. The PS3 did end up becoming my favorite 7th gen system.

I was also thrilled when my favorite 360 exclusive, Tales of Vesperia, came to modern hardware.

The N64 for me. I had both a PS1 and N64 and the quality difference was night and day. I could still turn on my N64 to play games, meanwhile outside of a small portion of PS1 games, it was literally a shovelware console that hasnt aged well at all.

XB360 - it had a powerful and rounded hardware that was easy to work with, great library and Kinect for more casual stuff on top of it.

Gen 3: There's actually 2 here. The first one is the Master System. Vastly better than the NES (apart from the sound chip, but a fix to that came out in Japan with an FM sound expansion card). The second one is the PC Engine, beats the shit out of the competition and the Hu-cards were pretty damn great yet tiny compared to game cartridges.

Gen 4: Neo Geo. It's an arcade in form of a home console, so of course it blows the competition out of the water. And since it's an arcade, it also came with prices to match for the games...

Gen 6: Gamecube. Nintendo was just out of luck with this one. Great games, a turn to more mature ones from 3rd party publishers (which then jumped ship when the console wasn't selling enough) and more powerful than the PS2, yet couldn't do anything other than get annihilated by it in terms of sales.

Gen 8: Wii U. I like the Tablet controller and the asymmetric gameplay it allows. Too bad it got underutilized as no big publisher seems to have come up with good enough ideas for it (still waiting for an RPG where the one with the Tablet is the GM and the others have to follow what's on the screen).

Around the Network

I'd argue the Xbox 360 did win it's gen. Yes it sold less units then the Wii (101mill) and even slightly less than the PS3 (87mill) but it sold more software than both it's competitors and had way more active online users which brought in a lot of revenue. Wii was a lot less in terms of software and online users and this is where most the money is made nowadays.

EDIT: Forgot to add Kinect sales onto this too. It's a joke now but for a few years it was massively successful for them - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kinect-sales-reach-24-million/1100-6403766/

Anyway for this thread I voted for Gamecube as it's one of my fave ever consoles with an epic library of exclusive games.

Last edited by gord352 - on 08 September 2022

VAMatt said:
QUAKECore89 said:

And what do you think? lmao

I'm asking you. What games are not Indies or fan made?

*Stares at my Dreamcast collection*

No free time to type all Dreamcast games lol......

FM Towns Marty

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Azzanation said:

The N64 for me. I had both a PS1 and N64 and the quality difference was night and day. I could still turn on my N64 to play games, meanwhile outside of a small portion of PS1 games, it was literally a shovelware console that hasnt aged well at all.

This is a very hot take indeed

gord352 said:

I'd argue the Xbox 360 did win it's gen. Yes it sold less units then the Wii (101mill) and even slightly less than the PS3 (87mill) but it sold more software than both it's competitors and had way more active online users which brought in a lot of revenue. Wii was a lot less in terms of software and online users and this is where most the money is made nowadays.

EDIT: Forgot to add Kinect sales onto this too. It's a joke now but for a few years it was massively successful for them - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kinect-sales-reach-24-million/1100-6403766/

Anyway for this thread I voted for Gamecube as it's one of my fave ever consoles with an epic library of exclusive games.

I also think it's meaningful to state that despite the number of sales PS3 made Sony bleed a shit tons of money  

Legacy wise Xbox 360 introduced key concepts that shaped the current gaming landscape, ultimately it had a very big and lasting impact. I definitely think it was the champion of that generation, but good luck debating this topic with Nintendo fans here