Xbox 3 2.14%

Xbox 360 26 18.57%

Xbox One 0 0%

PS3 27 19.29%

Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140

For me it is PS3>OG Xbox> Gamecube> Wii U> N64> and the rest.

Wii is the Wii, love it or hate it. So between 360 and PS3, PS3 wins by a mile due to both systems having similar 3rd party support, but online is free for PS3. First party support is more consistent and varied for the PS3. PS3 was also almost entirely backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 for a time. PS3s also survived gaming a lot longer than 360s.

OG Xbox was also awesome due to great first party and 3rd party exclusives. HDD and a more refined multiplayer were also great bonuses.

Around the Network

Showing my Nintendo bias, but the Wii U and Gamecube for me in that order.

For all its problems, the Wii U had far and away the best library of the 3 new systems in 2014. This would change drastically in 2015, but 2014 proved to me that a console's games have surprisingly little to do with its sales numbers in the modern world. If people were buying consoles for their games in 2014 then the PS4 wouldn't have started selling well until the following year and the Wii U would have sold far better that year. Mario Kart 8 alone should have sold a bazillion Wii Us. Momentum and PR mattered much more than games at this point. I think the Switch has played this out. Breath of the Wild was important at launch, but the console itself being appealing was more important, and the system has gotten so many 3rd-party games because it sold so well, rather than the system selling so well because it had these games. Mario Kart 8 has sold so well because it's on the Switch, rather than the Switch selling so well because it has Matio Kart 8.

The Gamecube selling so poorly is also pretty surprising. It was a serious powerhouse and very cheap compared to the competition. Rogue Leader was a mind-blowing showcase for the system at launch and still looks good over 20 years later. Melee was an early killer app that caused e to get the system as a kid. It had plenty of great mature games like Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, and RE4. It got much more 3rd party support than the N64 did. On paper it solved all of the N64's problems while maintaining the N64s strengths and should have sold much better than the N64. In hindsight it was too late to get back the gamers Nintendo lost to Sony in the 5th gen by fixing the problems with the N64, and the fans who stuck with Nintendo were less impressed with rushed games like Mario Sunshine and the perceived kiddy aesthetic of Wind Waker than they had been with the N64 versions while the Gamecube's mature games proved to be more niche than GTA and Halo were. Plus it couldn't play DVDs.

curl-6 said:
kopstudent89 said:

360, let's be honest, it should have beat the PS2. Probably till this day the best controller ever released, great exclusives and the multi console 3rd party experience was way better than the PS3 overall. It made Sony sweat and beat the Wii in the US and UK markets which are incredible feats. If it weren't for Japan, it would have won the console war that gen!

Technically, Wii beat the 360 by just under 16 million units worldwide, which is more than the 11 million by which Wii beat the 360 in Japan.

So if Japanese sales were removed from the equation, the Wii would still have beat the 360.

Fair enough, so Europe did a lot to help (just checking that the Wii actually beat PS3 in Europe which is crazy)

Gamecube, obviously I'm biased. Some of my all time favorite games released on it.

PS4

Lost to Switch

Among the options in the poll, PS3

Around the Network

PS3 imo. It had a rough start but after a few years the games never stopped coming. Plus it swayed the blu-ray / hd-dvd war into the favor of the superior format. Without the ps3, who knows how long that would have dragged on.

h2ohno said:

the Wii U had far and away the best library of the 3 new systems in 2014. This would change drastically in 2015, but 2014 proved to me that a console's games have surprisingly little to do with its sales numbers in the modern world. If people were buying consoles for their games in 2014 then the PS4 wouldn't have started selling well until the following year and the Wii U would have sold far better that year. Mario Kart 8 alone should have sold a bazillion Wii Us. Momentum and PR mattered much more than games at this point. 

Upcoming games

Whoever got a PS4 knew all big AAA third parties were going to be released on it

As well as many Japanese games, RPGs and so on

And Sony on first party output, although they wasn't as prestigious as they are now. I can't feel they were huge selling points at hat moment, today for the PS5 they surely are

Wii U was fairly weak for its age, the supposed big library you are implying was mostly PS3 ports 

If Wii U was closer to PS4 in power it would have sold better, because more third parties would be willing to releases their games on it. Not huge numbers, but closer to Xbone numbers instead of the disaster that was the Wii U

Remember PS5 presentation? There were big games on it still yet to be released 2 years later. Consoles are a long term investment, as we cannot play that many games on the same time is ok to have one or two games to play a year if you know lots of games are coming anyway 

That's why Playstation, unit sales-wise, is likely never going to fail as long home console business still a thing 

ps3 for me. The Wii had some amazing games, but limited selection compared to the ps3. The ps3 has far better exclusives than the xbox 360.

Between the N64, Gamecube and PS3 for me. They're the ones from that list that I've spent the most time with, the PS3 especially is a console that I still use fairly often.

Genesis does what these other systems don't. PS3 was pretty good too though.