Xbox 3 2.14%

Xbox 360 26 18.57%

Xbox One 0 0%

PS3 27 19.29%

Megadrive/Genesis 5 3.57%

Dreamcast 12 8.57%

Other 3 2.14%

Total:140

I'd say the PSP if handhelds were included.

But since they're not Gamecube. Simply because it has the most games I still want to play in the present day.

Around the Network

PS3, with the PSP a close second. The latter was well ahead of its time for hardware with OS, games and features. Great console with brilliant exclusive games. Sadly, never quite stood a chance against the behemoth that was the DS and then the 3DS, but it managed a respectable total of over 80M. Sadly, Sony dropped the ball after that with the PS Vita (what an awful name lol).

The PS3 is my top pick despite starting on the wrong foot completely. Though by the end of the generation, it turned itself around and ended with an exceptional library of games.. some of which belong in my top games of all time. Probably my favorite console generation (7th) as well.

It's the N64 for me, it had some innovations that went unappreciated due to its lack of success, had among the best iterations of Nintendo's core franchises, and it actually one-uped the competition on performance (which is highly unusual for them).

Never owned PS4 or Xbox one, but I had a WiiU and I'm confident that both the Playstation and the Xbox was better systems for that generation.

I consider PS3 better than the Wii. But I think the Wii did more for the industry and am fine with it taking the win. The Xbox 360 had a great controller but fewer games that interested me.

When it comes to the sixth generation I think both the GameCube and the Dreamcast was better than the PS2.
The original Xbox was mostly a joke to me, two of my friends had one that started burning and a third friend used it as a Linux computer.

I voted GameCube. I just love that thing. Bought the Mario Kart pack in system that included the Zelda collectors edition disc for around 150$ brand new. No other video game offer have come close to that value for me. And my God was Resident evil 4 just amazing back then, and still is. The look on one of my friends face when he saw that the Graphics of the GameCube version was superior to the PS2 version. Ah! still one of my most treasured moments related to gaming.

archbrix said:

Definitely the Gamecube for me. Except for a little Halo, Splinter Cell and God of War on the side, I was perfectly happy with just my Gamecube during the 6th generation. The WiiU got what it deserved as far as sales but it's a shame that the 'Cube didn't sell better - probably because Mario was a bust on the console (both Sunshine and Kart).

Mario kart Double Dash is imo still the best game in the series. The later games are more refined but I think the depth of the controls is unmatched still. And the battle modes Bob-omb Battle and Shine Thief have yet to get any proper mode in later installments. It seem like Nintendo are unwilling to add another battle mode without a set time. Even the balloon battle modes now is played a few minutes instead of until all balloons are popped. Games in pretty much all other series have a better entry but my GameCube is still hooked up almost for the sole purpose of playing Mario Kart on it.

Around the Network

I was like "why so many people voted Xbox 360?" before realising it ended 3rd, by a small margin, but still.

The 7th generation was something pretty unique if you think about it, everybody was fighting to have the best output quality wise.

I voted the Game Cube cause Nintendo tried really hard to make people forget about the N64, and it ended even worse, which is a shame

N64. I mean, have you seen what’s on there? The PS1 beats pretty much everything else in itself with its greatness as far as I’m concerned but even it can’t beat what’s on N64.

Other shoutouts to Dreamcast and PS3, great systems, also arguably better than the winner, I have more games from them in my favorites list than of PS2 (0 because I never had it) and Wii in any case.

As far as handhelds are concerned, all winners deserved their win handily, it’s no contest there.

Dreamcast... The last hurrah for Sega's hardware ambitions.

- Pushed online in a big way. (Before Xbox.)
- Had some impressive hardware for a 1999 device.
- Great games catalogue which has a very active homebrew community even at almost a quarter of a century later.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Gamecube and 360 for me

GC was not better than the PS2, but god damn did it have character. Some of the most memorable Nintendo games of all time are on that console. Windwaker, Sunshine, SSBM, Luigi's Mansion, RE4, Pikmin, Twilight Princess.. I mean god damn it was so good!

360, let's be honest, it should have beat the PS2. Probably till this day the best controller ever released, great exclusives and the multi console 3rd party experience was way better than the PS3 overall. It made Sony sweat and beat the Wii in the US and UK markets which are incredible feats. If it weren't for Japan, it would have won the console war that gen! It was an incredible effort and a shame they ruined all their progress with the XBone

PS3 was good but it got what it deserved after their E3 pre-launch showing, ridiculous price point and lack of games (first 2-3 years). It did rebound but I cannot say it was better than 360, especially coming off the PS2 it felt like a decline

N64 was great as well but Nintendo's ego for not going the CD route bit them back. Yes it had some of the greatest games of all time, 4 player multiplayer and some sweet colour designs but it was also the reason that Sony went for the PS1.

The rest didn't really have much to offer to contend. All good consoles in their own right but just not good enough

kopstudent89 said:

360, let's be honest, it should have beat the PS2. Probably till this day the best controller ever released, great exclusives and the multi console 3rd party experience was way better than the PS3 overall. It made Sony sweat and beat the Wii in the US and UK markets which are incredible feats. If it weren't for Japan, it would have won the console war that gen!

Technically, Wii beat the 360 by just under 16 million units worldwide, which is more than the 11 million by which Wii beat the 360 in Japan.

So if Japanese sales were removed from the equation, the Wii would still have beat the 360.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 September 2022