By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

Is this another one of the threads with "if it doesn't match my taste it is wrong"? Three in a single week and all aimed against Sony. They must be doing something right.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:
Drakrami said:

PS plus have almost double the subrcribers of GamePass. I think they are doing ok. 

As for japanese developers being pushed away, who? The well known japanese games like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Koei, Tales of, Square Enix rpgs, Persona, From Software all seems to have a good relationship to Sony or even exclusive to Playstation. So what you have written is essentially the opposite of reality? 

1. You cannot compare Game Pass to PS+. A better comparison would be Xbox Live Gold and PS+. If PS+ removed the need for online and cloud saves, then you can compare them. PS+ subs would plummet if paid online was removed.

2. IDK if your responding to RolStoppable, but if you are you missed his point. He said Japanese developers would look beyond Playstation, not pushed away. And he's correct, a lot of the big Japanese games you can also find on PC and Xbox. Yes, some of those games you listed used to be PS exclusive, but no more. Resident Evil multiplat, Monster Hunter multiplat, Tales of multiplat, Square Enix games multiplat, Persona multiplat, From Software multiplat. You are no longer tied down to PS consoles and can play on systems you prefer.

1 - Ok, and PS+ have been about 2x what XBL Gold were since the early days of PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Is this another one of the threads with "if it doesn't match my taste it is wrong"? Three in a single week and all aimed against Sony. They must be doing something right.

Dual Sense is a great controller. I like they let me choose my own SSD rather than a console branded one at twice the price which MS went with. I like how much quieter PS5 is compared tot he jet engine of PS4. Install times are very short compared to PS4 and I am looking forward to a whole slew of PS5 games. Soul Hackers 2. SD Gundam Battle Alliance. Evil West. GunGrave GORE. Soulstice. Star Ocean. Dusk Diver 2. Starting next month my PS5 is getting fed and I look forward to it as I like playing the PS5 a lot. I hope Sony shows more of Project Eve soon as it looked really interesting. Maybe South Korean Bayo? No idea.

I believe Mark Cerny designed a smarter console than MS did in hardware internals.  Not trying to put down Series X. Just saying despite how ugly PS5 is. It's been a good console in the months I owned it. The BC with PS4 games for me has been flawless. Even playing some really obscure disc games they work fine. I thank Sony for giving out Wild Arms for free to PS+ users who didn't upgrade.  This week been playing Gundam Maxiboost, Replayng The Ascent,Ruiner, Nex Machina and Curved Space.

I love my blue case for it and purple controller plus the SEGA Saturn and Ikaruga stickers on my PS5.

I hope that's positive enough.  Oh and I still love my Vita. Played some Macross Delta Scamble on it the other day.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 July 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

Dual Sense is a great controller. I like they let me choose my own SSD rather than a console branded one at twice the price which MS went with. I like how much quieter PS5 is compared tot he jet engine of PS4. Install times are very short compared to PS4 and I am looking forward to a whole slew of PS5 games. Soul Hackers 2. SD Gundam Battle Alliance. Evil West. GunGrave GORE. Soulstice. Star Ocean. Dusk Diver 2. Starting next month my PS5 is getting fed and I look forward to it as I like playing the PS5 a lot. I hope Sony shows more of project Eve soon as it looked really interesting. Maybe South Korean Bayo? No idea.

I believe mark Cerny designed a smarter console than MS did.  Not trying to put down Series X. Just saying despite how ugly PS5 is. It's been a good console in the months I owned it. The BC with PS4 games for me has been flawless. Even playing some really obscure disc games they work fine. I thank Sony for giving out Wild Arms for free to PS+ users who didn't upgrade.  This week been playing Gundam Maxiboost, Replayng The Ascent,Ruiner, Nex Machina and Curved Space.

I love my blue case for it and purple controller plus the SEGA Saturn and Ikaruga stickers on my PS5.

I hope that's positive enough.  Oh and I still love my Vita. Played some Macross Delta Scamble on it the other day.

From what I remember you weren't the one making a thread of if not what I like it is wrong. Although you are someone that complain about almost any game, from any company on vgc very regularly. Like if it isn't old or obscure it is bad.

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

Dual Sense is a great controller. I like they let me choose my own SSD rather than a console branded one at twice the price which MS went with. I like how much quieter PS5 is compared tot he jet engine of PS4. Install times are very short compared to PS4 and I am looking forward to a whole slew of PS5 games. Soul Hackers 2. SD Gundam Battle Alliance. Evil West. GunGrave GORE. Soulstice. Star Ocean. Dusk Diver 2. Starting next month my PS5 is getting fed and I look forward to it as I like playing the PS5 a lot. I hope Sony shows more of project Eve soon as it looked really interesting. Maybe South Korean Bayo? No idea.

I believe mark Cerny designed a smarter console than MS did.  Not trying to put down Series X. Just saying despite how ugly PS5 is. It's been a good console in the months I owned it. The BC with PS4 games for me has been flawless. Even playing some really obscure disc games they work fine. I thank Sony for giving out Wild Arms for free to PS+ users who didn't upgrade.  This week been playing Gundam Maxiboost, Replayng The Ascent,Ruiner, Nex Machina and Curved Space.

From what I remember you weren't the one making a thread of if not what I like it is wrong. Although you are someone that complain about almost any game, from any company on vgc very regularly. Like if it isn't old or obscure it is bad.

Misconception. The state of the modern industry is in bad shape and AAA games in general are often lacking in innovation,creativity but often mediocre games with high production value and predatory practices. That's been my issue.

If I considered anything old and  obscure good then Double Dungeons would be amazing rofl

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 July 2022

Around the Network
Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

Misconception. The state of the modern industry is in bad shape and AAA games in general are often lacking in innovation,creativity but often mediocre games with high production value and predatory practices. That's been my issue.

If I considered anything old and  obscure good then Double Dungeons would be amazing rofl

I didn't say you consider anything old and obscure good, but almost every thread you complain about a current game. My point was that if a game isn't old or obscure you say it is bad, not that being old and obscure make it always good.

Being orfan at 40+ year old is quite sad.

PullusPardus said:

which one ? Gran Turismo?

You mentioned that Sony will let China expand the market. Chinese devs have massive pockets, they're already buying a lot of Japanese devs, not the other way around. 

PlayStation also has Team Asobi under their belt. 

Ironically, despite Sony shutting down Japan Studios, they salvaged the most promising part. With how they pushed the VR medium, and put on a showcase with the Dualsense, they could very well replace the quirkiness and creativity that Japan Studios brought to the table, but at even higher level of quality, critical success, and commercial appeal. 

You do realize Sony could also purchase a few Chinese developers down the line? I'm not sure how that will deter Sony from expanding the market in China, when that is already happening with the PS5.

zero129 said:
Drakrami said:

Microsoft is in Sony's territory you mean. Sony's been the one pumping out AAA single player games the last 2 generations and selling 10s of millions of copies, not Microsoft lol. Microsoft is throwing money trying to catch up. 

What are some of your example of "Japanese games" by the way?? 

Your not even worth that one upvote you have.

Halo, Gears, all that western games MS had at first means nothing?.

God of War comes before Gears (that wasn't even owned or made by MS). Plus Halo and Gears aren't focused on the SP.

Syphon Filter is a PS1 game that would be an AAA by the time standard. Legend of Dragoon as well.

And if you count Gears than just so much games exclusive to PS would enter since PS1 and 2 that it would be to much to even include.

Is the Switch attach ratio counting digital as well? I think the reason software went down is more people buy digital games and Nintendo typically in those reports is talking physical copies.

the-pi-guy said:

Gamepass might be the future, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the case. Netflix and the other subscription services were replacing cable/satellite subscriptions that included advertisements and were incredibly expensive. 

The average gamer isn't the one buying several $60 games a year. Gamepass is extremely desirable for those people. But if you're someone who is content with 1 $60 game, and maybe a few cheap used titles, then gamepass doesn't seem as compelling. Still looking forward to seeing how that evolves. 

I think there is another possibility. Gamepass takes away a lot of pressure finding the "right" game. Many people are fed up with rifling through a sea of releases to find a good title. Yes, if your one title each year is FIFA or COD, you don't have that problem. But others - especially if they only get one or two titles each year - want these titles to be worth it. But that isn't a given. Gamepass takes away that anxiety, as if the first pick turns out to be a dud, they can switch to another title without further cost. Also selecting from a smaller amount of titles is much easier than selecting of the whole universe of titles. So yeah, even many people usually buying only one or two titles per year might pick up Gamepass, for the simplicity of it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]