By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

The_Liquid_Laser said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The major loophole in your reasoning is that anybody actually needs to wait software prices to go down on Playstation, when in reality they don't. Most of people don't buy hardware at launch, they buy on the second half of their life. At this point Playstation already has a extensive library with games well behind 30 USD and often getting discounts to be bought for even less than 20. You don't even need to purchase much more than 6 games for Playstation starting be a more compelling option 

I also wonder if you are aware subscription services from Playstation give you free two to three games monthly for only 5 USD a month. I'm talking about AAA games from big publishers, not ports of fifth gen. 

But that's tangential. The reason why Playstation 4 and 5 are the successors of Playstation 1 and 2 lies on its gaming library. The only Japanese third parties that sold more than 2 million copies that aren't present on Playstation ecosystem are: Monster Hunter Rise and Ocopath Travaler

If you like JP games, Playstation is the path. Otherwise buy an Xbox, it's less expensive have Game Pass and get all western third parties as well

The succes of Switch is due to their absurdly strong first party line up that stretches to a point they will have a mind-blowing number of over 20 games selling over 10 million copies 

Your next argument is "Yes, but Nintendo games are JP games too, mostly"

Sure, they are. But one doesn't need to think much to realize Nintendo games were never on Playstation hardware. So whoever wanted to play Nintendo should have bought Nintendo. This was true in the 90s during the peak of Playstation crazy and this is true now. 

My next argument is actually, "What Japanese games are on Switch that weren't on N64 and Gamecube?"

A lot.  You already mentioned MH and Asano games.  There is also Dragon Quest, Atelier, Trails, Valkria Chronicles and a load of other games that used to be Playstation exclusive.  There will soon be Persona and Nier.  On top of that, the most popular musou game is Hyrule Warriors, even though this series started on Playstation.  Xenogears and Xenosaga were on Playstation, but Xenoblade is on Switch.  This is on top of the new Nintendo games that Nintendo has created/acquired since the N64/Gamecube days like Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta and Switch Sports.  This is also on top of games that used to be handheld only like Pokemon and Wario Ware and (mostly) Animal Crossing.  The Switch is the system for Japanese games.  

Switch has all of the big Japanese games and a lot of the small and medium sized ones.  It's also a lot more affordable than the PS5.  Every year Japan releases more Switch games than it did the year before.  The Switch is the affordable system for Japanese games and it also has some Western games.  The PS5 is the high priced system for mostly Western games and also some Japanese games.  It is the Switch that is filling the role that the PS1 and PS2 originally had of being an affordable system of Japanese games and some Western games.

Where is RE VII, RE VIII, FF7R, FF16, FFXIV on Switch? Or those are small Japanese games?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

My next argument is actually, "What Japanese games are on Switch that weren't on N64 and Gamecube?"

A lot.  You already mentioned MH and Asano games.  There is also Dragon Quest, Atelier, Trails, Valkria Chronicles and a load of other games that used to be Playstation exclusive.  There will soon be Persona and Nier.  On top of that, the most popular musou game is Hyrule Warriors, even though this series started on Playstation.  Xenogears and Xenosaga were on Playstation, but Xenoblade is on Switch.  This is on top of the new Nintendo games that Nintendo has created/acquired since the N64/Gamecube days like Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta and Switch Sports.  This is also on top of games that used to be handheld only like Pokemon and Wario Ware and (mostly) Animal Crossing.  The Switch is the system for Japanese games.  

Switch has all of the big Japanese games and a lot of the small and medium sized ones.  It's also a lot more affordable than the PS5.  Every year Japan releases more Switch games than it did the year before.  The Switch is the affordable system for Japanese games and it also has some Western games.  The PS5 is the high priced system for mostly Western games and also some Japanese games.  It is the Switch that is filling the role that the PS1 and PS2 originally had of being an affordable system of Japanese games and some Western games.

Where is RE VII, RE VIII, FF7R, FF16, FFXIV on Switch? Or those are small Japanese games?

I mean… No shit that Xenoblade is on Nintendo’s consoles. Nintendo bought the studio…  

Kyuu said:
DonFerrari said:

And REmakes, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Street Fighter, FromSoftware games. Niche Ring!!

Excluding MH Rise, Dragon Ball, and maybe Dragon Quest (Dragons everywhere!) literally all globally big (5 million+ sellers) Japanese 3rd party games are skipping Switch and reaching new heights without it. Dark Souls, Persona 5 and NieR Automata are pretty significant but they were ported quite late to be viewed as some sort of big gets. It shouldn't surprise anyone if Persona 6 and the next NieR skip Switch again. Even Soul Hackers 2 which will be available on Xbox is skipping it, at least at launch (Well... It's Atlus).

Switch will never be the main platform for relevant 3rd party games. This much is obvious. Switch 2 will be very interesting though. We're entering a transformative period. VR, portable PC's like SteamDeck, services, acquisitions, and diminishing returns make the future quite difficult to predict for all platform holders.

And from those only MH Rise is skipping PS, and the other MH which is even bigger is on PS but not on Switch. So saying Switch have better support for 3rd party japanese when talking about the big titles is just a big fat lie.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hynad said:
DonFerrari said:

I mean… No shit that Xenoblade is on Nintendo’s consoles. Nintendo bought the studio…  

You seem to be saying that I'm stating the obvious.  But others are saying I'm dead wrong.  Which is it?  Either I'm wrong, or I'm so right that it is obvious.  It can't be both.

Hynad said:
DonFerrari said:

To be fair, you picked one entry in a long list of games:

"You already mentioned MH and Asano games. There is also Dragon Quest, Atelier, Trails, Valkria Chronicles and a load of other games that used to be Playstation exclusive. There will soon be Persona and Nier."

I would add Switch also has Falcom games like Ys and NIS games like Disgaea. All stuff that didn't came to Nintendo in the past.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]