By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

The_Liquid_Laser said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Playstation is still more affordable than Switch unless you only buy games on release

Most of Nintendo best selling games are sold for 60 USD like... forever. While for Playstation you can get deep discounts and a bunch of games monthly with their PS Plus subscription

Xbox is also more affordable than both

Playstation still getting all the third parties from Japan, nothing changed. Resident Evil? Final Fantasy? Street Fighter? Kingdom Hearts? Devil May Crystal? Sonic? Metal Gear? What's not on Playstation? Momotaro?

If you enjoy JP games, Playstation is the way to go, otherwise everybody would be buying Xbox at this point and it's clearly less expensive and with a more consumer friendly approach

What you guys need to understand is the times where JP games were the best selling in the market are over. This is not due to JP games becoming less popular (I'd say they are becoming more popular, even) but instead western games popularity skyrocket

Surprisingly the only market where I'm seeing JP third parties declining in sales and degrading in popularity is... Japan. Paradoxical

"Playstation is still more affordable than Switch unless you only buy games on release"

For the most part, no, this is wrong.  First there is the very obvious $500 for PS5 vs. $300/$350 for Switch.  Secondly, third party games on Switch do tend to come down in price.  It is mostly the first party games that stay high in price and even there Nintendo runs discounts regularly for people who want that.

Nintendo only make discounts for a very specific number of titles that aren't moving many copies anymore and for a very limited time, generally on holidays and the discounts are never under 40 USD. Meanwhile if you get a Playstation you can buy almost anything in the library for less than 30 USD, or not buy at all, just subscribe for Ps Plus. Switch has less expensive hardware but software expenses clearly offset this down the line unless you're the kind of gamer that but maybe one game a year and always close to launching. 

I'm not saying this in a negative way at all, if something it only highlights how successful the Switch is. Just to state your idea that Switch is an inexpensive console makes very little sense.

I can see Switch being a less expensive option though if you have multiple devices to share the same physical games, in this point I can see an advantage for Switch as you can have one without the expenses of getting a new TV to play, but this in no way resembles how PS1/PS2 used to be consumed. If anything is something more related to handhelds than with any stationary consoles

I'll proceed by stating the obvious: as far as gaming library goes, the successor of PS1/PS2 is the PS5. The switch is the successor of Wii and DS. 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

"Playstation is still more affordable than Switch unless you only buy games on release"

For the most part, no, this is wrong.  First there is the very obvious $500 for PS5 vs. $300/$350 for Switch.  Secondly, third party games on Switch do tend to come down in price.  It is mostly the first party games that stay high in price and even there Nintendo runs discounts regularly for people who want that.

Nintendo only make discounts for a very specific number of titles that aren't moving many copies anymore and for a very limited time, generally on holidays and the discounts are never under 40 USD. Meanwhile if you get a Playstation you can buy almost anything in the library for less than 30 USD, or not buy at all, just subscribe for Ps Plus. Switch has less expensive hardware but software expenses clearly offset this down the line unless you're the kind of gamer that but maybe one game a year and always close to launching. 

I'm not saying this in a negative way at all, if something it only highlights how successful the Switch is. Just to state your idea that Switch is an inexpensive console makes very little sense.

I can see Switch being a less expensive option though if you have multiple devices to share the same physical games, in this point I can see an advantage for Switch as you can have one without the expenses of getting a new TV to play, but this in no way resembles how PS1/PS2 used to be consumed. If anything is something more related to handhelds than with any stationary consoles

I'll proceed by stating the obvious: as far as gaming library goes, the successor of PS1/PS2 is the PS5. The switch is the successor of Wii and DS. 

I will just make a small point. Even with WiiU, that can't be called a success at all, price of the 1st party games weren't dropping from what I know. That is just Nintendo way, doesn't matter how the sales are doing the prices stay. Several of their titles aren't that big seller and they still don't drop in price fast or at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

let Sony make movie-y games, people like those. If you want game-y games go for Nintendo or Microsoft. Microsoft really doesn't do movie-y games, they are usually great gameplay first, presentation second. Sony will be fine.

IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Bold: That's not true. Some of the most often discounted games in Europe are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Party and NSMBUDX. The only games that absolutely never ever go on sale are mainline Pokémon games and Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

A few times per year around half a dozen to a dozen first party games are discounted and it's always a mixture of big and small sellers. Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 have also gone on sale quite often. I've also gotten Smash Ultimate on sale. I think only BotW has gone on sale only once when they showed the sequel at E3 2021.

IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Your view assumes that everyone else's gaming habits are like yours.  I.e. if a person doesn't buy games at release, but they do buy a lot of games, then PS5 is cheaper than Switch.  What you are describing is actually niche behavior.  It is possible for a person to pay less on PS5 than Switch and play the same amount of games.  However, most of the time Switch is cheaper than PS5 even when taking all expenses into account and not just hardware.

-If a person buys hardware and only a few games, then Switch is cheaper.
-If a person mostly buys new releases, then Switch is cheaper, because PS5 new releases are $70 vs. $60 for Switch.  (Keep in mind that for most games the majority of sales happen during the first couple of months when the game is at full price.)
-If a person gets an online subscription and mostly plays games via that (either online multiplayer games or games free with the subscription), then PS5 is more expensive, because the subscription is a lot more expensive.
-If a person wants a system where they play games with friends, then they can potentially save a ton of money on Switch, because local multiplayer games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros only require one system, while popular multiplayer games on PS5 are online and require both multiple systems and a subscription.

-If we go by your scenario, where a person buys a ton of games, but waits a while to buy software trying to save as much money as possible, then PS5 is sometimes cheaper, but often Switch is still cheaper.  It is based on several factors though like
1) Which hardware is bought: $400/$500 for PS5 vs $200/$300/$350 for Switch
2) How many games are bought.  If a person saves $10 on average per PS5 game, then it takes 5 games for the systems to cost the same in the best case ($350 vs. $400) and it takes 30 games to break even in the worst case ($200 vs $500).  All of this assumes you are only playing single-player offline games.
3) People can borrow and share games with their friends, and especially do this if they are frugal.
4) PS5 games are more likely to have in game purchases.

It should be obvious at first that PS5 is more expensive than Switch (more expensive hardware and games), and on deeper investigation PS5 is still more expensive than Switch.  This notion that PS5 is cheaper is a niche scenario, and it distracts from the larger point: Playstation is no longer the system that it used to be.  PS1 and PS2 were affordable systems where you could play the latest Japanese games, including Japanese games made by Sony themselves.  Today the system that fits this role is the Switch.  Not only is it a cheaper system, but about 90% of the games sold in Japan today are on the Switch, while Sony has closed down its Japanese studio.  Switch is the affordable system for Japanese games.  Switch is filling the role that PS1 and PS2 originally filled. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Your view assumes that everyone else's gaming habits are like yours.  I.e. if a person doesn't buy games at release, but they do buy a lot of games, then PS5 is cheaper than Switch.  What you are describing is actually niche behavior.  It is possible for a person to pay less on PS5 than Switch and play the same amount of games.  However, most of the time Switch is cheaper than PS5 even when taking all expenses into account and not just hardware.

-If a person mostly buys new releases, then Switch is cheaper, because PS5 new releases are $70 vs. $60 for Switch.  (Keep in mind that for most games the majority of sales happen during the first couple of months when the game is at full price.)
-If a person gets an online subscription and mostly plays games via that (either online multiplayer games or games free with the subscription), then PS5 is more expensive, because the subscription is a lot more expensive.
-If a person wants a system where they play games with friends, then they can potentially save a ton of money on Switch, because local multiplayer games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros only require one system, while popular multiplayer games on PS5 are online and require both multiple systems and a subscription.

-If we go by your scenario, where a person buys a ton of games, but waits a while to buy software trying to save as much money as possible, then PS5 is sometimes cheaper, but often Switch is still cheaper.  It is based on several factors though like
2) How many games are bought.  If a person saves $10 on average per PS5 game, then it takes 5 games for the systems to cost the same in the best case ($350 vs. $400) and it takes 30 games to break even in the worst case ($200 vs $500).  All of this assumes you are only playing single-player offline games.
3) People can borrow and share games with their friends, and especially do this if they are frugal.

It should be obvious at first that PS5 is more expensive than Switch (more expensive hardware and games), and on deeper investigation PS5 is still more expensive than Switch.  This notion that PS5 is cheaper is a niche scenario, and it distracts from the larger point: Playstation is no longer the system that it used to be.  PS1 and PS2 were affordable systems where you could play the latest Japanese games, including Japanese games made by Sony themselves.  Today the system that fits this role is the Switch.  Not only is it a cheaper system, but about 90% of the games sold in Japan today are on the Switch, while Sony has closed down its Japanese studio.  Switch is the affordable system for Japanese games.  Switch is filling the role that PS1 and PS2 originally filled. 

The major loophole in your reasoning is that anybody actually needs to wait software prices to go down on Playstation, when in reality they don't. Most of people don't buy hardware at launch, they buy on the second half of their life. At this point Playstation already has a extensive library with games well behind 30 USD and often getting discounts to be bought for even less than 20. You don't even need to purchase much more than 6 games for Playstation starting be a more compelling option 

I also wonder if you are aware subscription services from Playstation give you free two to three games monthly for only 5 USD a month. I'm talking about AAA games from big publishers, not ports of fifth gen. 

But that's tangential. The reason why Playstation 4 and 5 are the successors of Playstation 1 and 2 lies on its gaming library. The only Japanese third parties that sold more than 2 million copies that aren't present on Playstation ecosystem are: Monster Hunter Rise and Ocopath Travaler

If you like JP games, Playstation is the path. Otherwise buy an Xbox, it's less expensive have Game Pass and get all western third parties as well

The succes of Switch is due to their absurdly strong first party line up that stretches to a point they will have a mind-blowing number of over 20 games selling over 10 million copies 

Your next argument is "Yes, but Nintendo games are JP games too, mostly"

Sure, they are. But one doesn't need to think much to realize Nintendo games were never on Playstation hardware. So whoever wanted to play Nintendo should have bought Nintendo. This was true in the 90s during the peak of Playstation crazy and this is true now. 

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Bold: That's not true. Some of the most often discounted games in Europe are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Party and NSMBUDX. The only games that absolutely never ever go on sale are mainline Pokémon games and Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

A few times per year around half a dozen to a dozen first party games are discounted and it's always a mixture of big and small sellers. Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 have also gone on sale quite often. I've also gotten Smash Ultimate on sale. I think only BotW has gone on sale only once when they showed the sequel at E3 2021.

Well I can only speak about Brazil. Splatoon and Mario Odyssey go on sales, but I don't remember about Marik Mart

Zelda was discounted once or twice, I remember. But the games that get discounts more frequently (generally on holidays or discount weeks) are the ones like Pokemon Let's Go, Link's Awakening, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong tropical Freeze 

Two things we need to consider for the Sony market are:

American market may be reduced, because of income US economic problems ( Sony and Nintendo go down in the last report)

Japan and some East Asia market decreased because of Nintendo's dominance in this region. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

Well I can only speak about Brazil. Splatoon and Mario Odyssey go on sales, but I don't remember about Marik Mart

Zelda was discounted once or twice, I remember. But the games that get discounts more frequently (generally on holidays or discount weeks) are the ones like Pokemon Let's Go, Link's Awakening, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong tropical Freeze 

And even when they are discounted they are still 25-33% of a monthly wage (for minimum pay).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The major loophole in your reasoning is that anybody actually needs to wait software prices to go down on Playstation, when in reality they don't. Most of people don't buy hardware at launch, they buy on the second half of their life. At this point Playstation already has a extensive library with games well behind 30 USD and often getting discounts to be bought for even less than 20. You don't even need to purchase much more than 6 games for Playstation starting be a more compelling option 

I also wonder if you are aware subscription services from Playstation give you free two to three games monthly for only 5 USD a month. I'm talking about AAA games from big publishers, not ports of fifth gen. 

But that's tangential. The reason why Playstation 4 and 5 are the successors of Playstation 1 and 2 lies on its gaming library. The only Japanese third parties that sold more than 2 million copies that aren't present on Playstation ecosystem are: Monster Hunter Rise and Ocopath Travaler

If you like JP games, Playstation is the path. Otherwise buy an Xbox, it's less expensive have Game Pass and get all western third parties as well

The succes of Switch is due to their absurdly strong first party line up that stretches to a point they will have a mind-blowing number of over 20 games selling over 10 million copies 

Your next argument is "Yes, but Nintendo games are JP games too, mostly"

Sure, they are. But one doesn't need to think much to realize Nintendo games were never on Playstation hardware. So whoever wanted to play Nintendo should have bought Nintendo. This was true in the 90s during the peak of Playstation crazy and this is true now. 

My next argument is actually, "What Japanese games are on Switch that weren't on N64 and Gamecube?"

A lot.  You already mentioned MH and Asano games.  There is also Dragon Quest, Atelier, Trails, Valkria Chronicles and a load of other games that used to be Playstation exclusive.  There will soon be Persona and Nier.  On top of that, the most popular musou game is Hyrule Warriors, even though this series started on Playstation.  Xenogears and Xenosaga were on Playstation, but Xenoblade is on Switch.  This is on top of the new Nintendo games that Nintendo has created/acquired since the N64/Gamecube days like Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta and Switch Sports.  This is also on top of games that used to be handheld only like Pokemon and Wario Ware and (mostly) Animal Crossing.  The Switch is the system for Japanese games.  

Switch has all of the big Japanese games and a lot of the small and medium sized ones.  It's also a lot more affordable than the PS5.  Every year Japan releases more Switch games than it did the year before.  The Switch is the affordable system for Japanese games and it also has some Western games.  The PS5 is the high priced system for mostly Western games and also some Japanese games.  It is the Switch that is filling the role that the PS1 and PS2 originally had of being an affordable system of Japanese games and some Western games.