By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

Rather than calling it being Americanized I think what is actually happening is selling out, they are trying to gain a bigger audiance by drawing in people who before thought of games as a waste of time but now it's being turned into something that everyone can be into which means less appeal for the hardcore.

Two years in and I have a feeling this generation might give me even less physical games than the last gen which was already way less than PS2 gen for me. I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing being the reason I have so many favorite games on the SNES, PS1, PS2, and GameCube consoles but I tend to believe it's because simplicity can go a long way over ever increasing skill trees, modern graphics, and duplicate side missions. The last game that made me feel like I had to finish it was Breath of the Wild (which has flaws) but not much else since other than the occasional remaster that I finish just for the trophies which I don't even know why I even feel the need to collect trophies in games when trophies don't matter at all.

Around the Network

In general I have never thought Sony games were that amazing. Some games were good, most games weren't my thing. So the reality for my situation is that they are pretty much the same.

I think the trend in Sony's consoles sales also follow that same thing. Consistently above 80m given enough stock.

You're seriously pretending like Japanese developers are all or mostly struggling?
Capcom, Marvelous, NIS, Konami and Koei Tecmo have been making record profits the last few years. Idk about Square Enix's profits.

Leynos said:

Sony's first-party games are all basically the same to me anymore. Put it in a forest. Make sure it's post-apocalypse and the most basic and bland mechanics.

You mean these post-apocalyptic forest games like MLB: The Show 22, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Astro's Playroom, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission,...

Yeah, all the same games.

Conina said:
Leynos said:

Sony's first-party games are all basically the same to me anymore. Put it in a forest. Make sure it's post-apocalypse and the most basic and bland mechanics.

You mean these post-apocalyptic forest games like MLB: The Show 22, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Astro's Playroom, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission,...

Yeah, all the same games.

"Yes, but […]"

Fill with double standard excuse of your choice.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I would like to read them because I don't quite get it either. 

I think it could be due to multiple possible causes:

1) An aging and static population, one with fewer younger people than in generations past. The problem with this one is that it doesn't explain handhelds remaining popular with no hint of decline (the 3DS over-performed in Japan, and the Switch will probably sell as much if not more than the DS & Game Boy did there as well).

2) Minimal inflation over the past 20-25 years. Hasn't been a huge deal for hardware, but definitely for software, which does appear to have gotten more expensive over time (need to do more research on that), as opposed to much of the West where software prices have gotten substantially cheaper due to inflation. This would explain why software sales have declined faster than hardware sales.

3) It also seems like disposable incomes have declined in Japan over the past 20 years, which may make more expensive gaming options less attractive. Handhelds and their games are cheaper.

Point 2 makes sense, point 1 is correct but doesn't explain why portable gaming is so popular (not only portable consoles, but smartphone gaming as well). Point 3 no longer holds true as Switch games are at the same price as other consoles.

I was tempted to guess aging population means less kids and teenagers play games. With Japanese population being composed of grown ups sometimes commuting to work is the only option for them to play games. Except teenagers and young adults don't have much free time either as they not only spend many hours at school but are also suppose to keep studying at home. 

Maybe the reason why they pick handhelds is because it's a medium that takes a bit more time to evolve due to technological constraints. Think of how much more popular 2D Mario is compared to 3D Mario (which is kinda of a mid tier game sales wise when compared to other Nintendo IPs), gamers in Japan being on average older means they want something they are familiar instead of something that will force them to master something new. 

It's true. If Sony wants to grab hold of the future, they need to concentrate on the most aged country in the world, Japan. The plummeting birth rate there is especially promising. How can the largest natural population decline on record not make them salivate? Foolish Sony.

PS plus have almost double the subrcribers of GamePass. I think they are doing ok. 

As for japanese developers being pushed away, who? The well known japanese games like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Koei, Tales of, Square Enix rpgs, Persona, From Software all seems to have a good relationship to Sony or even exclusive to Playstation. So what you have written is essentially the opposite of reality? 

PullusPardus said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

West Yorkshire is in Asia/Middle East? Your rant is really all over the place. Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are both in the USA so it would make sense that those two companies would make American style games. The future is gamepass or they should go back to square one?

Oh, I was in the UK when I made this account around ten years ago. 

Yes, I am talking about Playstation as a whole. The future is gamepass-style publishing, similar to how no one buys movies nowadays, because Netflix is more convenient. 

the square one comment I was meaning that they should refocus their attention to making japanese games, not completely abandon them. They're in Microsoft's territory, microsoft has deep pockets, they are buying devs to make more money. Sony is just that japanese dev that tries to be american. 

Microsoft is in Sony's territory you mean. Sony's been the one pumping out AAA single player games the last 2 generations and selling 10s of millions of copies, not Microsoft lol. Microsoft is throwing money trying to catch up. 

What are some of your example of "Japanese games" by the way?? 

Drakrami said:

PS plus have almost double the subrcribers of GamePass. I think they are doing ok. 

As for japanese developers being pushed away, who? The well known japanese games like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Koei, Tales of, Square Enix rpgs, Persona, From Software all seems to have a good relationship to Sony or even exclusive to Playstation. So what you have written is essentially the opposite of reality? 

1. You cannot compare Game Pass to PS+. A better comparison would be Xbox Live Gold and PS+. If PS+ removed the need for online and cloud saves, then you can compare them. PS+ subs would plummet if paid online was removed.

2. IDK if your responding to RolStoppable, but if you are you missed his point. He said Japanese developers would look beyond Playstation, not pushed away. And he's correct, a lot of the big Japanese games you can also find on PC and Xbox. Yes, some of those games you listed used to be PS exclusive, but no more. Resident Evil multiplat, Monster Hunter multiplat, Tales of multiplat, Square Enix games multiplat, Persona multiplat, From Software multiplat. You are no longer tied down to PS consoles and can play on systems you prefer.