By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

PullusPardus said:

Sony did not learn from Capcom and Konami when they tried to "expand to American market" Excuse my bad terminology or metaphor, but appealing to Americans is akin to being a clown, you will do funny dances and pop culture jokes until one year later when they get amused by something else and think you're just a clown. Its a cutthroat market that implodes on itself every now and then, becoming so fat and so bloated that it pops every few years. Sony doesn't really know why the video game market crashes happened before and they never learn. 

This is probably the funniest paragraph I've read on here in a while.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Nonsense. It might be true to very few specific games like Detroit or Life is Strange (which I found to be great games regardless), but for the majority of games? I don't get any feeling to be watching a movie when playing God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted or Horizon just because they have cutscenes. Those are mainly action games meaning that you need to have reflexes, coordination, and precise time-reaction. They are a very, very different kind of entertainment  

I'll spare you the hurdle to answer Bloodborne and Ratchet and Clank because they aren't even story-heavy in the first place

I'm inclined to believe it's the other way around: When games were initially released there was no story and cutscenes were short. People just want gaming to go back to how it was in the 80s because that's what most of gamers over their 30s are used to, they don't dislike cutscenes because they resemble movies but instead because this is not how gaming was "supposed to be". Remove all political subtext and most of the screenplay from TLOU and turn it into a mindless zombie-hunting game and most of the people who dislike it will suddenly stop talking shit about it because the game has, surprisingly, great and tight mechanics and controls (which nobody seems to recognize for the reasons mentioned) 

I don't know man the latest Rachel and clank really kicked it up with the story. Me having played all the titles found the stories more lite hearted and more joke heavy. And with a throw away story. This new one I found to hit all the right spots. Was still very humorous and the story was actually deep and had some points that really had me captivated. 

This is what I don't like about this topic that for me a game like ratchet and clank was able to keep everything that made all the previous great with the platforming and shooting and humor. But at the same time they added the high production value and still added a great story and high visuals. Wich only added to the experience. With like you said, you remove all of that and you still have a great classic ratchet and clank gameplay. 

I'll give you that because I haven't played the newest Ratchet & Clank yet

I don't know if 'photorealistic, cinematic experiences' are bad for the market, but I do sometimes worry about the budgets for some of these high profile games. The costs of making a video game like that goes up and up, an I wonder where the ceiling is where video game sales can no longer recoup the costs. I think we're already kind of seeing this with some games forcing in microtransactions and what not.

Rather than calling it being Americanized I think what is actually happening is selling out, they are trying to gain a bigger audiance by drawing in people who before thought of games as a waste of time but now it's being turned into something that everyone can be into which means less appeal for the hardcore.

Two years in and I have a feeling this generation might give me even less physical games than the last gen which was already way less than PS2 gen for me. I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing being the reason I have so many favorite games on the SNES, PS1, PS2, and GameCube consoles but I tend to believe it's because simplicity can go a long way over ever increasing skill trees, modern graphics, and duplicate side missions. The last game that made me feel like I had to finish it was Breath of the Wild (which has flaws) but not much else since other than the occasional remaster that I finish just for the trophies which I don't even know why I even feel the need to collect trophies in games when trophies don't matter at all.

In general I have never thought Sony games were that amazing. Some games were good, most games weren't my thing. So the reality for my situation is that they are pretty much the same.

I think the trend in Sony's consoles sales also follow that same thing. Consistently above 80m given enough stock.

Around the Network

You're seriously pretending like Japanese developers are all or mostly struggling?
Capcom, Marvelous, NIS, Konami and Koei Tecmo have been making record profits the last few years. Idk about Square Enix's profits.

Leynos said:

Sony's first-party games are all basically the same to me anymore. Put it in a forest. Make sure it's post-apocalypse and the most basic and bland mechanics.

You mean these post-apocalyptic forest games like MLB: The Show 22, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Astro's Playroom, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission,...

Yeah, all the same games.

Conina said:
Leynos said:

Sony's first-party games are all basically the same to me anymore. Put it in a forest. Make sure it's post-apocalypse and the most basic and bland mechanics.

You mean these post-apocalyptic forest games like MLB: The Show 22, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Astro's Playroom, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission,...

Yeah, all the same games.

"Yes, but […]"

Fill with double standard excuse of your choice.

Japanese games don't have realistic graphics and a focus on story? You sure? I could swear Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc. were all Japanese.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Shadow1980 said:

I have my theories

I would like to read them because I don't quite get it either. 

I think it could be due to multiple possible causes:

1) An aging and static population, one with fewer younger people than in generations past. The problem with this one is that it doesn't explain handhelds remaining popular with no hint of decline (the 3DS over-performed in Japan, and the Switch will probably sell as much if not more than the DS & Game Boy did there as well).

2) Minimal inflation over the past 20-25 years. Hasn't been a huge deal for hardware, but definitely for software, which does appear to have gotten more expensive over time (need to do more research on that), as opposed to much of the West where software prices have gotten substantially cheaper due to inflation. This would explain why software sales have declined faster than hardware sales.

3) It also seems like disposable incomes have declined in Japan over the past 20 years, which may make more expensive gaming options less attractive. Handhelds and their games are cheaper.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").