By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation being American-ised is bad for the market, I think

Playstation's current trend is to make games 'massive, photorealistic, movie-like' they're treating their games the same way they treat their movie studios. They are not the same Japanese Playstation as before, the one that went head-to-head with Nintendo. Now Nintendo is just by its own doing games that are game-y while Sony is doing games that are Movie-y. 

This might be good for sales in a short term, but Sony will not survive this, its already pushing japanese devs away to go to Nintendo, but Sony wants to play catch up with Microsoft to become "American approved" 

Being someone from Asia/Middle East. I don't really see any appeal in any of their games, they're very politically American and I personally dislike anything Politically American. This thinking is echoed by almost everyone in asia and the "Others" countries outside of UK and US. So I'm really not alone on this thinking. But my opinion is irrelevant to most. 

It is a sad state when the only hope for japanese devs to survive and thrive is either Nintendo or China. China knows that Sony abandoned Japan, so now they're just buying devs like how Microsoft is buying american devs. 

Square Enix sold their western devs out of necessity, and other japanese devs are looking to just survive on their own. 

Sony did not learn from Capcom and Konami when they tried to "expand to American market" Excuse my bad terminology or metaphor, but appealing to Americans is akin to being a clown, you will do funny dances and pop culture jokes until one year later when they get amused by something else and think you're just a clown. Its a cutthroat market that implodes on itself every now and then, becoming so fat and so bloated that it pops every few years. Sony doesn't really know why the video game market crashes happened before and they never learn. 

But I digress. Sony is really not going to survive on just 'exclusives' they know this already of course, they are turning their studios multiplatform and releasing them on Steam and other places. But the future is clearly Game Pass. Not whatever crap they have right now PS + Gamer Tax. They really need to go back to square one or before long China is going to overtake the asian market along with Nintendo and Playstation will be irrelevant. And now that they sold all their japanese devs they wont even survive the way Sega did, they really don't have any legacy IPs anymore that will carry them.  

Sony is also no stranger to having a 'format war' that they keep losing. Now their competition is Game Pass. and they have PS Plus which is extremely expensive and very exclusive in design while not being as broad (you have to own a PS5 controller to even play it) they have a lot of catching up to do. 

Last edited by PullusPardus - on 23 July 2022

Around the Network

I'm getting sick-tired with this narrative that games that have good stories and photorealistic graphics aren't "real games" but "interactive movies". It's like in the early 2000 where anything should have great and top-notch graphics otherwise it didn't deserve to be played, only in reverse

Japanese devs are having their best moment right now because now the market allows them to sell their games worldwide. Internet and digital media abolished barriers that used to restrict JP developers from only selling their games in Japan. Looks at how much JP franchises enjoyed breakthrough success thanks to this in recent years, Nintendo is actually the console make that plays the LEAST impact for third-party JP devs as we see those devs still skipping Nintendo as long as they can afford even if this cost sales in Japan they can make it elsewhere. 

The rest of your assessment about what being western and "to appeal to the west" means is just ridiculous, I would believe this is a troll post but you said you're middle eastern so I'm inclined you truly believe in all this crap. 

West Yorkshire is in Asia/Middle East? Your rant is really all over the place. Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are both in the USA so it would make sense that those two companies would make American style games. The future is gamepass or they should go back to square one?

Sure a random internet poster knows the market better than the gaming company with the second biggest revenue for decades.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

rapsuperstar31 said:

West Yorkshire is in Asia/Middle East? Your rant is really all over the place. Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are both in the USA so it would make sense that those two companies would make American style games. The future is gamepass or they should go back to square one?

Oh, I was in the UK when I made this account around ten years ago. 

Yes, I am talking about Playstation as a whole. The future is gamepass-style publishing, similar to how no one buys movies nowadays, because Netflix is more convenient. 

the square one comment I was meaning that they should refocus their attention to making japanese games, not completely abandon them. They're in Microsoft's territory, microsoft has deep pockets, they are buying devs to make more money. Sony is just that japanese dev that tries to be american. 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'm getting sick-tired with this narrative that games that have good stories and photorealistic graphics aren't "real games" but "interactive movies". It's like in the early 2000 where anything should have great and top-notch graphics otherwise it didn't deserve to be played, only in reverse

No, I am saying that Movie-like games are not mass appealing globally. Playstation used to have diversity in genres. They were like Nintendo right now, doing a bit of everything instead of focusing on one thing. I'm not saying these games are bad, I'm saying that they are focusing solely on treating their Playstation brand the same way as their movie studio. If Morbius was not a meme they would probably made a morbius game by now. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Japanese devs are having their best moment right now because now the market allows them to sell their games worldwide. Internet and digital media abolished barriers that used to restrict JP developers from only selling their games in Japan. Looks at how much JP franchises enjoyed breakthrough success thanks to this in recent years, Nintendo is actually the console make that plays the LEAST impact for third-party JP devs as we see those devs still skipping Nintendo as long as they can afford even if this cost sales in Japan they can make it elsewhere. 

That is true. I am saying Playstation is lost its appeal to asian market most will just go for Steam and other places (Game pass) but the appeal for Playstation is that its a console not a PC. Nintendo got that covered now, but Playstation used to be the console to own for most video games in asia. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

I would believe this is a troll post but you said you're middle eastern so I'm inclined you truly believe in all this crap. 

??? what do you mean?

twintail said:

This thread reads like bait to me.

Sorry I've not been on this website in nearly 10 years. What do you mean bait? baiting who? 

PullusPardus said:

Playstation's current trend is to make games 'massive, photorealistic, movie-like' they're treating their games the same way they treat their movie studios. They are not the same Japanese Playstation as before, the one that went head-to-head with Nintendo. Now Nintendo is just by its own doing games that are game-y while Sony is doing games that are Movie-y. 

This might be good for sales in a short term, but Sony will not survive this, its already pushing japanese devs away to go to Nintendo, but Sony wants to play catch up with Microsoft to become "American approved" 

Being someone from Asia/Middle East. I don't really see any appeal in any of their games, they're very politically American and I personally dislike anything Politically American. This thinking is echoed by almost everyone in asia and the "Others" countries outside of UK and US. So I'm really not alone on this thinking. But my opinion is irrelevant to most. 

It is a sad state when the only hope for japanese devs to survive and thrive is either Nintendo or China. China knows that Sony abandoned Japan, so now they're just buying devs like how Microsoft is buying american devs. 

Square Enix sold their western devs out of necessity, and other japanese devs are looking to just survive on their own. 

Sony did not learn from Capcom and Konami when they tried to "expand to American market" Excuse my bad terminology or metaphor, but appealing to Americans is akin to being a clown, you will do funny dances and pop culture jokes until one year later when they get amused by something else and think you're just a clown. Its a cutthroat market that implodes on itself every now and then, becoming so fat and so bloated that it pops every few years. Sony doesn't really know why the video game market crashes happened before and they never learn. 

But I digress. Sony is really not going to survive on just 'exclusives' they know this already of course, they are turning their studios multiplatform and releasing them on Steam and other places. But the future is clearly Game Pass. Not whatever crap they have right now PS + Gamer Tax. They really need to go back to square one or before long China is going to overtake the asian market along with Nintendo and Playstation will be irrelevant. And now that they sold all their japanese devs they wont even survive the way Sega did, they really don't have any legacy IPs anymore that will carry them.  

Sony is also no stranger to having a 'format war' that they keep losing. Now their competition is Game Pass. and they have PS Plus which is extremely expensive and very exclusive in design while not being as broad (you have to own a PS5 controller to even play it) they have a lot of catching up to do. 

Is this supposed to be satire or something lol?

The idea that PlayStation games are too "movie-y" and it will be an inevitable bubble that will collapse is hilarious. Their production values set them apart, and there's a massive gap with PlayStation and the rest of the industry when it comes to story driven, single player games, but that doesn't mean titles like God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West, don't have good to great gameplay. There's a massive market for these huge, story driven, single player games, with high production values, tight gameplay, and immersive worlds that Sony has a stranglehold in, with a few other alternatives available on the market. Sony still has Japanese developers, one of which just released another tentpole IP, which is currently top ten YTD for all platforms in NA + Europe.

Sony is already growing the PlayStation brand over in China, creating inroads with local development teams, and starting initiatives like the China Hero Project. Genshin Impact is still a PlayStation console exclusive, to my knowledge, and its one of the most popular games in China. If the Chinese market expands for consoles, Sony will be a major part as to why, just like they've expanded Europe, and are currently expanding in other regions like the Middle East. PlayStation is not Xbox when it comes to the worldwide stage. Their first party software, from their major NA development teams, sell well in many major European markets, as well as RoTW.

As for GamePass being the future, that is still unclear, and even then, Sony is well positioned to offer movies, video games, television, anime, in an all for one subscription service, a value proposition that can disrupt streaming services as we know it. That's before considering what other major moves Sony has in store, and how their multimedia push amplifies Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive, increasing the amount of value they can extract from IP's that tech giants, and most media goliaths, just can't do alone.

Sony's first-party games are all basically the same to me anymore. Put it in a forest. Make sure it's post-apocalypse and the most basic and bland mechanics. I sometimes joke Sony peaked with Omega Boost but for real, there was a time Sony tried all kinds of new ideas and IPs. They were not as creative as SEGA's but they were still very interesting. Reggie said it best in 2004, they are not the company focused on being terminally hip...referring to Sony. aka whatever trend is popular. That's dull to me. Japan Studio was the last hold out of Sony trying a bunch of different concepts and IPs. Bring back Wild Arms. Omega Boost. Ape Escape Intelligence Cube. Ok, they don't have to specifically bring these IPs back but Sony is the same as any AAA publisher. Risk-averse.

Idon't care if Sony is based in the US or Japan but they need to drop the double standards. They censor  Japanese games for cleavage or force the devs to change the name of Bombing Bastards but then put literal mocap fuck in a first party game.

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 July 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!