By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UPDATE: 6 minutes of SONIC FRONTIERS Combat gameplay

Sarcasm is so thick in this thread, I can't tell what has been said truthfully.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Xxain said:

Sonic Frontiers inspiration looks more like Shadow of the Colossus. The center tower thing in the first reveal was spot on the central tower on SoTC. Then fighting colossal figures.. You guys know Open World games existed before Breath of the Wild Right? Breath does nothing original for the open world, hell if I recall, BotW took major inspiration from Fallout series.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CaptainExplosion said:
BasilZero said:

This is on par with how Sonic Team develops the games.

Lost World for an example was made to be somewhat of a 3D Mario clone.

Except with worse gameplay and a shitty new group of villains nobody wants.

Lost World looked so promising. I played the demo that came out before the final release, didn't get too invested in it, but I liked how Sonic controlled, and while the level design as a whole tried to take many notes from Mario Galaxy, it seemed somewhat different enough on its own. Was a surprised to see it generated such a mixed reaction. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I really liked the first level of Sonic Lost World. It felt like the revival of Sonic Xtreme on Saturn and a revival of Genesis-era-level design. Branching paths and momentum-based gameplay just like Genesis games not the HOLY SHIT SPEED gameplay almost every other Sonic 3D game did. After that, the game kinda falls apart.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Xxain said:

Sonic Frontiers inspiration looks more like Shadow of the Colossus. The center tower thing in the first reveal was spot on the central tower on SoTC. Then fighting colossal figures.. You guys know Open World games existed before Breath of the Wild Right? Breath does nothing original for the open world, hell if I recall, BotW took major inspiration from Fallout series.

BOTW probs took some inspiration from SOTC anyway, but I reference BOTW because of the:

-music & tone.

-the alien look/feel of the technology.

-the apparatus which seems to similar to a Sheikah tower.

To me they are more likely taking ques from the massively successful BOTW rather than SOTC even if Zelda didn't invent most of these tropes. I was a bit harsh with my first comment. In isolation it looks decent as far a tease goes & I've been calling for an open world/huge level sonic for a while in order to utilise his speed... but they really need to stand on their own feet whereas this feels like they've forced sonic together with something which tonally/aesthetically belongs in s different IP that is more RPG than fun platformer. I'll wait to see more

Around the Network

My concern is that other people understand Sonics Brand better than Sonic Team. Please no weird God like villain and just thrown in another Hedgehog or Critter, whos teaming up with Eggman. A late game Biolozard type evil, will be tolerated though :p

Hopefully this is good but I mainly just want the Chao Garden to come back in a new Sonic game since it's probably my favourite part of SA2.

I'm just holding out hope for a chao garden. I thought I read somewhere they brought one of the key people behind the chao garden idea to do something with Frontiers?

Update actual gameplay

Maybe this isn't the best trailer, since all we can see is Sonic going for one place to another and solving a few puzzles. It makes the world looks empty, but I understand that they can't show everything since the game still has some months to release.

But I like it.