By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UPDATE: 6 minutes of SONIC FRONTIERS Combat gameplay

Not 3mins into the gameplay video, this looks totally boring and uninspired. Nothing says 'Gotta go fast!' like slow, moody and atmospheric music.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

It still looks like a clashing of styles. Like those horrid fan putting Sonic or Mario in a UE4 realistic environment. It doesn't say Sonic. It says we inserted Sonic in another game.

My thoughts exactly.

Looks promising but they didn't show any enemies or quest u have to do

Its 2022 and we still don't get anything inspired by the best 3D Sonic concept I have seen: Sonic Utopia

Eh I prefer my platformers with proper levels and not massive open world biomes. Consider me lukewarm on this.

And already watching that small 7 minute snippet can already see it being too fast to be comfortable to play and track. And then awkward pauses in between.

Open world Sonics are bleh. The only semi decent one I tried were the Adventure games.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Now obviously this is open world vs Generations is not but it's like... Where's the color? Where's the art direction and etc? Where's the charm? What about this game really speaks that it's a Sonic game? So far it looks like a randomly generated unreal engine map with no sense of structure with rails and such littered around the area.

Even the music feels out of place as Sonic games usually have a nice upbeat music to them. Not this random melancholic music. But we will see. Hopefully there's a lot more to it and the end product is good.

After seeing the recent extended gameplay trailer, I'm heavily inclined to agree, where is the charm and art style even at?.

There's enough comments under that extended trailer saying that it looks like a tech demo, and it really does look like like one, what with the world looking so insanely sparse, empty and lifeless, with small objects scattered around an otherwise charmless map of land. 

The game definitely looks to be taking a quite a bit of inspiration from BotW, to a point where Sonic somehow has to climb up towers before gaining some slight momentum?, yeah nah, that ain't Sonic, I've seen him burst into super sonic speed a hundred times before, even on vertical surfaces. 

All I want is Unleashed, but just open world and not a world that's got stops and grind rails scattered about. We've already seen what a Sonic world can look like via 06 and Unleashed, why is it so hard to craft a finite world like that again?. Why does it have to be colourless, lifeless, dull and sparse like BotW-style with scattered crap?.

Game just looks like a modders typical UE tech demo. Definitely not feeling this game. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JCGamer55 said:

Its 2022 and we still don't get anything inspired by the best 3D Sonic concept I have seen: Sonic Utopia

You know it's sad that a Modder can give us more ramps, colour and charm than an entire publisher and a load of paid staff/artists. 

Years later and Utopia still looks more charming than the last few Sonic games.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The art direction is terrible. What were they thinking.

I actually kinda like the visual style and the open world playground.
The near absence of enemies is a bit weird, and it still needs some optimization, but as it's a holiday game there's still time for that.
I'm not sold, but I am cautiously interested to see more.

I am particularly curious to see how it runs on Switch.
Considering the likes of Witcher 3, Dying Light, Hellblade, etc it doesn't look like anything the hardware couldn't handle, the only question is whether they will put in the necessary effort and resources, which they really should given Sonic's history of selling well on Nintendo.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 June 2022

It looks worse than Forces, that is impressive.