By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UPDATE: 6 minutes of SONIC FRONTIERS Combat gameplay

shikamaru317 said:

The more I see of it, the less it feels like Sonic. I worry they are attempting to chase new demographics at the expense of their existing fanbase. More and more IP holders have been doing this in recent years in both games (Saints Row for instance) and other forms of media.

That seems to be the model for a good chunk of companies these days, where instead of putting in substantial effort for your existing fan-base, it's been swapped out for a low effort chase to grab a new one, only for them to be replaced over time for another new audience. 

I can see why some do it, because sometimes it's really hard to please an existing audience, but at the same time I think it's utter gobshite, because half the companies don't even put in enough effort, nor care to please said existing audience (Blizzard and EA come to mind, as well as Ubisoft). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

The gameplay they just made Sonic punch and kick that doesn't feel Sonic-y and Sonic throws winds projectiles  that's new? he It's not Sonic it's Shadow of the collosus + a bit of Sonic with Punching and Kicking etc It seems there won't be any swpeedrunning per level this game wont have a city level maybe? something every 3D Sonic game had .

There are some decent mechanics on display here but the executions looks bad. The enemy designs are straight aweful, characterless and at complete odds with sonic (a giant, expressive blue cartoon hedghog)..., the enemy health bars look too high and the camera and animations are looking rough. Regardless of what happens with this game, it does look like it should bring them a step closer to realising what 3D sonic should play like mechanically. 

shikamaru317 said:

The more I see of it, the less it feels like Sonic. I worry they are attempting to chase new demographics at the expense of their existing fanbase. More and more IP holders have been doing this in recent years in both games (Saints Row for instance) and other forms of media.

The backwards thing is that the new sonic films have put the franchise at its highest value in decades, so their new audience is right there. Why does the tone of the film feel more authentic than the new game developed in-house by sonic team. It's just wild how clueless they are.

When will they finally bring back the "1Up" sound from Sonic 1 & 2? That was the best jingle ever.

At least it looks more interesting than Forces.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:

At least it looks more interesting than Forces.

I think the thing this game is least, is interesting. Though Forces wasn't exactly great in that department.

Looks unique. Different mechanics. I'd like to see more. I'm assuming this area is the first and most basic. 

Stylish but stiff looking. So far the most janky looking thing about the game.

Something about the trailers is just off putting to me.
This doesnt feel like their useing their IP and character correctly.

Why not just use differnt characters, if you cant figure out how to use them in the type of game you want to make?

basically this:

SegaHeart said:

The gameplay they just made Sonic punch and kick that doesn't feel Sonic-y and Sonic throws winds projectiles  that's new? he It's not Sonic it's Shadow of the collosus + a bit of Sonic with Punching and Kicking etc It seems there won't be any swpeedrunning per level this game wont have a city level maybe? something every 3D Sonic game had .

Doesnt feel like sonic, it just happends to look like him.

This looks like the Pokemon style of fighting. You walk/run to other place and another enemies appears... Cool.

Video games and consoles collector from Poland.

This sound a neat game in every way except by the Sonic itself. It looks so out of place compared with the environment and enemies, this should 100% be a new IP with a new main character that actually matches the overall atmosphere of the game