By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 108 Million - Global Hardware May 15-21

curl-6 said:

With the way demand is pent up I can see PS5 having insanely high peaks once the chip crunch subsides.
If supply was no obstacle I think it could hit 30 million in a year.
Not only has it inherited the popularity of the PS4, but the fact it's been unobtainable for so long has made it even more desirable and fueled a monstrous amount of hype and an almost mystical quality around it.

Earliest chip supply will be on par with demand is in 5 years. People will have moved on/the next thing is ho by then.

Around the Network

Mind you, I'm not saying it ever WILL be able to hit 30 million in a year, as by the time the chip crunch is completely over it may be too late for that.
Still, the level of hype and FOMO for it is off the charts, higher than it ever was for the PS4.
I can easily see it hitting higher peaks than the PS4, enough to make up for it tracking behind early on.

A longer generation than usual is also a distinct possibility due to its slow start and them wanting to recoup their early losses.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 June 2022

If supply allows I think a 25m peak is at least safe bet

The ps5 is a great system, I really like the lack of load times. The chip shortage is a killer for Sony, given it isn't hurting Nintendo nor MS, at least not to the same degree. The big question being, how long with the chip shortage continue?

Chrkeller said:

The ps5 is a great system, I really like the lack of load times. The chip shortage is a killer for Sony, given it isn't hurting Nintendo nor MS, at least not to the same degree. The big question being, how long with the chip shortage continue?

Different degrees because of different situations.  Microsoft is having the same trouble producing sufficient quantities of the Series X, but they have been able to buffer that with having the easier to produce Series S available.  Nintendo has had to revise their production forecasts as well, but they are producing a device that has been in production and on the market for over 5 years now.  So, shortages of the Switch are generally less visible/pronounced as the newer consoles.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

Different degrees because of different situations.  Microsoft is having the same trouble producing sufficient quantities of the Series X, but they have been able to buffer that with having the easier to produce Series S available.  Nintendo has had to revise their production forecasts as well, but they are producing a device that has been in production and on the market for over 5 years now.  So, shortages of the Switch are generally less visible/pronounced as the newer consoles.

Yeah...  pretty much what I said 

Chrkeller said:
Mandalore76 said:

That you had to walk back a false statement in the same sentence of having said it is why I add the context for clarity.

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

That you had to walk back a false statement in the same sentence of having said it is why I add the context for clarity.

Lol, ok.  People online are funny.  I said the shortage wasn't hurting MS and Nintendo to the same degree as sony....  you clarified that the shortage isn't hurting MS and nintendo as much...  well done!

And apologies for the proper use of a comma.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 06 June 2022

Yeah, 25m shipped in a single year would be the absolute peak of what I would expect for the Playstation 5 without shortages.  That would still put it slightly behind the Wii's peak year of almost 26m and well ahead of PS2's peak of 22.5m.

Game systems that have shipped 20m or more in a year:

PS1, once - 21.6m

PS2, twice - 22.52m, 20.10m

Wii, twice - 25.95m, 20.54m

PS4, once - 20.00m

DS, four times - 31.18m, 30.31m, 27.11m, 23.56m

Switch, three times (so far) - 28.82m, 23.06m, 21.03m, with 21m projected for fiscal ending March 2023, which would make it four as well.

A longer life will surely get the PS5 over 100m total, but I don't see it shipping even close to 30m in a single year, regardless of supply.  Xbox Series is just too strong this generation and will stunt the PS5's growth in North America, and sales in Japan certainly won't make up the difference.

Chrkeller said:
Mandalore76 said:

Lol, ok.  People online are funny.  I said the shortage wasn't hurting MS and Nintendo to the same degree as sony....  you clarified that the shortage isn't hurting MS and nintendo as much...  well done!

And apologies for the proper use of a comma.  

Actually, your statement read the chip shortage "isn't hurting Nintendo nor MS" followed by "at least not to the same degree".  There was a better way to phrase that without having the first half of the statement read as false and then have to be corrected by the rest of the sentence.  It's why you thinking I'm splitting hairs here.

Anyway, I contextualized why the shortage isn't hurting Microsoft and Nintendo as much as Sony.