By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 108 Million - Global Hardware May 15-21

victor83fernandes said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Another 1-2 weeks and PS5 will hit 20 Million. Xbox Series still outsells the PS5 in Americas by a wide margin.

Trunks, do we know the situation of the Series X/Series S stock in Americas? I suspect the Series S is doing most of the job so far.

In the end, the ps5 will definitely outsell the xbox by a wide margin, the issue at the moment is stock, xbox has plenty stock, I've been checking amazon for the past month as its always been in stock, both S and X. I have never see the ps5 on amazon since the console launched. If it ever gets there it sells out in seconds. I can go right now and order a series X no problem.

I'm not convinced this is true.  Momentum matters, Sony is losing it and MS is gaining it.  How man people who wanted a ps5 gave up and decided to go MS this generation?  Most people do not buy every console.      

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
victor83fernandes said:

In the end, the ps5 will definitely outsell the xbox by a wide margin, the issue at the moment is stock, xbox has plenty stock, I've been checking amazon for the past month as its always been in stock, both S and X. I have never see the ps5 on amazon since the console launched. If it ever gets there it sells out in seconds. I can go right now and order a series X no problem.

I'm not convinced this is true.  Momentum matters, Sony is losing it and MS is gaining it.  How man people who wanted a ps5 gave up and decided to go MS this generation?  Most people do not buy every console.      

Probably a small amount of people in the bigger scheme of things. This dynamic needs to pan out for much longer, like well into 2023 for it to have the impact a lot of people are projecting. 

PS5 and now down more YOY in its 3rd year than Switch is in its 6th.

victor83fernandes said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Another 1-2 weeks and PS5 will hit 20 Million. Xbox Series still outsells the PS5 in Americas by a wide margin.

Trunks, do we know the situation of the Series X/Series S stock in Americas? I suspect the Series S is doing most of the job so far.

I wouldn't call paying $100's over MSRP being able to "order a Series X no problem".  It's available on Amazon only from scalpers.  The same as PS5 is available from scalpers.  If you're willing to pay a scalper well above the console's MSRP, then you can "go right now and order a PS5 or Series X no problem".

Mandalore76 said:
victor83fernandes said:

I wouldn't call paying $100's over MSRP being able to "order a Series X no problem".  It's available on Amazon only from scalpers.  The same as PS5 is available from scalpers.  If you're willing to pay a scalper well above the console's MSRP, then you can "go right now and order a PS5 or Series X no problem".

Yeah I had a look around here too and couldn't find a Series X anywhere except from scalpers, and you can get a PS5 that way too.

Around the Network

Time is not on PS5's side. One issue that PS5 has is the "early adopter" problem. People often just buy what the system their friends get, so early adopters have a lot of influence on lifetime console sales. Right now a fair amount of early adopters are going to XBox just because it's available. However, PS5 has an even bigger problem in that XBox has all of these huge acquisitions that are currently making exclusive games for XBox. The further this generation continues, the better XBox will look against PS5 in the first party comparison.

...and then there are the people who will just say, "Screw all this. I just need a Switch." And after the Switch 2 eventually comes, then they will only need a Switch 2 as well. Time is not on PS5's side.

yo33331 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Time is not on PS5's side. One issue that PS5 has is the "early adopter" problem. People often just buy what the system their friends get, so early adopters have a lot of influence on lifetime console sales. Right now a fair amount of early adopters are going to XBox just because it's available. However, PS5 has an even bigger problem in that XBox has all of these huge acquisitions that are currently making exclusive games for XBox. The further this generation continues, the better XBox will look against PS5 in the first party comparison.

...and then there are the people who will just say, "Screw all this. I just need a Switch." And after the Switch 2 eventually comes, then they will only need a Switch 2 as well. Time is not on PS5's side.

I agree.

The future doesn't look bright for the PS5. It will be lucky to even finish at PS3 level of lifetime sales.

I think it’s a lock at this point that the PS5 sells less than the PS4, but “lucky to finish at the level of PS3” is a bit of a stretch I think. At current sales pace the PS5 is still on track to hit 100 million lifetime sales (though not much higher than that) 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

It´s a great point. Sony was great when the adversaries make big mistakes. It´s the first time Sony needs to be good against the two stronger opponents with fewer mistakes. 

A great market is a stronger market. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

That aspect is thankfully becoming less relevant overtime thanks to crossplay getting more common. It's still a notable factor though.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Personally I am at a point where I don't care for the PS5 or the new XBOX.

The hype of owning one has warn off as they too damn hard to get unless you pay overs on one.

I'm at a point where I am contemplating waiting for NS2 (hopefully this is what Nintendo will bring) and PS6 now lol