By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Legend of Zelda BOTW Sequel delayed to Spring 2023

Shiken said:

Eldin Ring GotY confirmed. The only other one that could pull it off is God of War, but that may or may not be delayed as well and I personally have my money on Eldin Ring anyway.

Don't forget about Starfield in the mix. If the game is half what Bethesda is hyping it up to be with it being a more hardcore RPG like Morrowind, then we're in for something special. 

Around the Network

Not surprised. Hope the game is better for it.

Dulfite said:
pikashoe said:

I'm surprised development is taking so long, considering they appear to be using the first game as a base. I think this delay actually makes the gap longer than between skyward sword and BOTW.

That may be what they say, but that isn't necessarily what is happening. Botw 2 uses the same engine as 1, uses the same map (with additions). Absolutely no way it takes that long to make, in my book.

Nintendo really likes to focus on strategically releasing their big hitters. Launching during the holiday of a year when Switch devices are already going to sell out didn't make much sense. Spring is usually the dead period for console hardware sales, so this will really push their selling capabilities during next Spring. They already have a new Pokemon generation launching this holiday. Spring needs Zelda.

It all depends on the ambitions of the game.

Disappointing but not unexpected. I think there's a curse on games I put on my Most Wanted list. On the bright side, 2022 is still stacked even without BotW2.

Signature goes here!

Otter said:

But once again, I'm thinking I'll wait to play this on a Switch 2 which could be announced within months of this coming out.

Doubtful. The timeframe of the MK8-DLC tells me, that Switch 2 will not release in 2023, so we early 2024 will be the most early it comes - already a year after BOTW2. There might be the possibility that Nintendo releases a Switch 2 remaster of Zelda though. But it will not be a simple cross-gen game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

So, with my pace of buying one Switch game a year, I'll probably get around to playing this somewhere around 2025. Seriously speaking though, I don't really mind. Delays haven't really bothered me for a long time anymore, and if it gives the developer the chance to make the game better in some way then all the better.

After so many years, Aonuma finally opted for a haircut! He looks amazing (yeah, I had to point that out first).

Well, as always, not surprised, and honestly, it's a good thing it was delayed because I just wouldn't have found the time to play it with Bayo 3 and Xenoblade 3 releasing just before it.

And Switch 2 really isn't coming any time soon, isn't it?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Even with Suicide Squad and Breath of the Wild 2 being delayed to next year, and I expect there will be several more delays into 2023 throughout the year, 2022 is still looking insane!

Mnementh said:
Otter said:

But once again, I'm thinking I'll wait to play this on a Switch 2 which could be announced within months of this coming out.

Doubtful. The timeframe of the MK8-DLC tells me, that Switch 2 will not release in 2023, so we early 2024 will be the most early it comes - already a year after BOTW2. There might be the possibility that Nintendo releases a Switch 2 remaster of Zelda though. But it will not be a simple cross-gen game.

Yeah, that still kind of matches the timeline. If Zelda comes out April/May, Switch 2 could be announced within months(June-October) ahead of a Spring 2024 release. 

But I also fully expecting the Switch to be supporting in one way or another after the successors release, they're not repeating a strategy of releasing a new console and pretending like the established audience of 140-150m doesn't exist. 

Delays happen and for worker health I would prefer companies not to force months of crunch time. And it doesn't hurt my feelings. Between Kirby, Triangle, Elden, Horizon 2... and other titles later this year I am not exactly hurting for new games. I haven't even really played Triangle or Horizon, been hard on Elden.