By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Legend of Zelda BOTW Sequel delayed to Spring 2023

Jumpin said:
Dulfite said:

I wish people would stop assuming delays on major games for first party games is entirely, or mostly, or even a little based on that dev team being able to make the game in time. Stop assuming they think the same way third parties do. The primary objective of major, expensive AAA exclusive first party games is to push hardware at the most advantaged time, causing a new chunk of users to join the ecosystem and be that much closer to buying more, cheaper to make, easier-to-profit-from games. Zelda, 3d Mario, Mariokart all come out when Nintendo determines is the smartest time for them to come out. The vagueness of what they needed this extra time for and lack of elaboration only further proves this point. Nintendo doesn't mind lying when it benefits their grand plan at profit making.

Zelda was probably only announced as a 2022 game back in the day because they didn't expect sales to keep going at the rate they have, partially due to competitors not being able to make enough consoles due to supply shortages and buying Switch devices instead. Absolutely no reason to release this holiday when Switch is going to sell out regardless. No one sells out in Spring, however, so perfect timing.

Well, no.

People aren’t just assuming more development is necessary.  Nintendo announced that the devs needed more time to make the game special.

With no details elaborating on that. They could show things in the future that they claim were added, but for all we know those were in the game already. We've seen so little of the game, it could be completely done by now for all we know and they are just waiting to release it at an opportune time.

Around the Network

First, yes, the game was announced too early. I feel like this and the Metroid reveal were done to keep the hype sustained for the Switch, and it definitely worked. Does it suck to be on the receiving side of delays? You bet! But if these two reveals helped keep the momentum of the Switch going in high gear then I'm ok with it in the end. There have been and are plenty of games to play on the system that aren't MP4 and BOTW2 so it isn't like we're going through a crazy drought and just waiting on those games.

It also makes me think that we're getting another remaster set this year, since Nintendo always seems to release a Zelda game each year. Wind Waker/Twilight Princess makes a lot of sense.

The other thing that makes me excited is that I think Nintendo has added in some very cool systems that will make spending another 300 hours in Hyrule as fun if not more fun than the first go around. Personally I'm hoping to collect crafting items as that certainly has been something I've been enjoying from games these days. That's one aspect of the collectathon that was BOTW that I felt was lacking. All that inventory and nothing really to do with it except makes potions and food. Let me craft new weaponry, upgrade my weapons and gear, level up my crafting abilities, etc. The fact that we're going to be going spelunking almost begs for this. I love korok hunting as much as the next person, but one of my favorite aspects of BOTW was building the town and your house and I'm hoping we get more elements like this in the sequel.

Three thoughts:

1. They better be making just about the most ambitious game ever. Considering this means the game will have taken about 5 years to make (guessing they probably started early 2018) and considering they can reuse the engine, a lot of assets, a lot of code from the first game, and even from what they've said the same map but with obvious major changes/additions, that means a hell of a lot more time is going into the content of this game than even went into making BotW from scratch. This should mean this game is going to be something truly special, blowing away what the first game did.

2. Wind Waker / Twilight Princess HD double pack this year??? This has been rumored as being ready to go and was just waiting on BotW2 release date to decide on its own release date, and would be released this year if BotW2 had to get pushed back. Woulda been nice to get this pack announced alongside this delay, but hopefully we'll be getting an announcement for this soon. Even if it just takes the holiday spot that BotW2 was gonna get, that would be nice.

3. Definitely takes a bit away from the shine of Switch's mega ultra 2022 software lineup, but the year is still jacked and I guess this helps make 2023 be a strong year as well. Switch will still be going very strong in its 6th year with no need for a new generation for a few more years. Looks like Nintendo is going to take full advantage of selling software to a well over 100 million user base for a good number of years.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 29 March 2022

Seems like they added new areas to the open world on top of adding the Sky.

I'm really starting to get a Switch 2 vibe here, it just reminds me of Twilight Princesses development to some degree.

However the delay doesn't bother me simply because BotW was one of my least favourite 3D games (still enjoyed it of course). I'd be quite happy with another TP/WW release to tide me over.

Around the Network

Even though the delay stings a little, I'm confident that the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be absolutely spectacular. Was it scheduled for December and will now be a March 24th release? Possibly. Could it have actually been a November release and is now coming out early June? Also a possibility, but I'd hope that's not the case, haha. I'm all in favor of giving Mr. Aonuma and all at Nintendo, all the time that's needed. Turn this into something of true size and scope, filled with unparalleled polish.

Perhaps even, it increases the likelihood of The Wind Waker dropping this fall or a little more optimistically, it and Twilight Princess hitting Nintendo Switch before BotW's sequel. We'll see. Here's to the rest of Nintendo's lineup for 2022 and 2023 already having one hit on its hands!

Rick1331 said:

I'm really starting to get a Switch 2 vibe here, it just reminds me of Twilight Princesses development to some degree.

However the delay doesn't bother me simply because BotW was one of my least favourite 3D games (still enjoyed it of course). I'd be quite happy with another TP/WW release to tide me over.

No Switch 2 vibe. BotW2 is 12 months away. Switch 2 is several years away. There will be plenty of other first party games coming out on Switch between BotW2 and Switch 2 launch.

I'm getting a TP/WW HD this year vibe.

Wyrdness said:

Seems like they added new areas to the open world on top of adding the Sky.

Yes I'm interested in what he meant by "However, the expanded world goes beyond that,"

Please understand, we are all playing Elden Ring, so next Zelda game will be delayed.:p

On a serious not, I hope they do actually take a page or two from Elden Ring and its design...

HoloDust said:

Please understand, we are all playing Elden Ring, so next Zelda game will be delayed.:p

On a serious not, I hope they do actually take a page or two from Elden Ring and its design...

I fear Zelda is too far into development to make bigger design changes. I hope though, that in upcoming years some games take notes and include lessons form Elden Ring. Because Elden Ring is a game that made me have fun exploring again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]