By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Legend of Zelda BOTW Sequel delayed to Spring 2023

HoloDust said:

Let's just say Elden Ring is few grades above BotW when it comes to exploration, world design and things to see. But, to be honest, as a Zelda fan I found BotW to be fairly weak, so I'm really hoping that BotW2 would be significantly better.

In regards to BOTW influence - Hidetaka Miyazaki said he was impressed by BOTW and it influenced his design. The funny thing is, that many games took inspiration from things present in Breath of the Wild, like climbing everywhere or the glider. Yet Elden Ring took it's influence from the things that were absent in BOTW. For instance BOTW explicitly decided not to put target markers on your map, except the ones you put there yourself. Elden Ring does the same. And building upon it, the guidance of grace is ingenious, because it gives you some orientation in the world, but instead of presenting the goal it shows the direction. So you still need to interact with the world to find the goal.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, Elden Ring is really a blast to explore, it reminds me so much of some of the quite old PC RPGs - I wish more developers had the balls to take notes from those older games.

Slownenberg said:

I'm actually (finally) playing BotW right now. Got the game in 2017, just starting playing through it a week or so ago.

I don't know what Elden Ring is like but by god BotW is incredible (as everyone else already knows). I'm 50 hours in and I'm still early in the game. So much to see and explore!

And I gotta think the fact that they are taking 5 years for BotW2, and that they are reusing a lot of the map, code, engine, assets, means it is going to be insanely full of content and will blow even the first game out of the water.

Let's just say Elden Ring is few grades above BotW when it comes to exploration, world design and things to see. But, to be honest, as a Zelda fan I found BotW to be fairly weak, so I'm really hoping that BotW2 would be significantly better.

Well then I'm gonna have to take your opinion on Elden Ring being a few grades above Zelda with a grain a salt, considering you found BotW to be weak while I find it to be incredible and the exploration is just insane - I usually end up spending 2 to 5 hours just exploring between two points of interest in the game that I could travel between in like 15 or so minutes if I just went straight there, and that just keeps happening over and over. It's an absolute delight.

I think all Nintendo needs to do is build on what they created in BotW. Tinker with things they think they can improve, give us plenty more areas to explore different from the first game, but the main thing is just add in a bunch more content (like more enemy types, more enemy points of interest, normal Zelda dungeons, and much more of a story with gameplay plot points).

Considering they are spending five years on the game despite having a huge base to start from thanks to the first game, I gotta figure the sequel is going to have the same incredible exploration as the first but up the content by a lot. Which is saying a lot, considering based on being 50 hours in right now I'm pretty damn sure the first game is gonna take me over 200 hours.

"give us plenty more areas to explore different from the first game, but the main thing is just add in a bunch more content (like more enemy types, more enemy points of interest, normal Zelda dungeons, and much more of a story with gameplay plot points)."

And that is part of the reason I found it weak - as an idea it was very good, I just didn't care much for execution - for me it felt like very advanced prototype, with lot of features not finished or cut out - that's why I'm hoping BotW2 will rectify all those things (and much more). I've played once through it, and (due to my older son being on autism spectrum) I had to sit through his whole playthrough as well - and let's just say, I liked it even less the second time.

As for Elden Ring - maybe you will some day play it and see what I mean. Elden Ring was advertised as open-world Souls game, and it delivered exquisitely on that promise. It's not perfect, especially if one is hoping for full RPG experience (as with all Souls, it is completely exploration and combat oriented, with 3rd (social) pillar being very rudimentary), but it feels and plays like Souls games and really shines at it.

Mnementh said:
HoloDust said:

In regards to BOTW influence - Hidetaka Miyazaki said he was impressed by BOTW and it influenced his design. The funny thing is, that many games took inspiration from things present in Breath of the Wild, like climbing everywhere or the glider. Yet Elden Ring took it's influence from the things that were absent in BOTW. For instance BOTW explicitly decided not to put target markers on your map, except the ones you put there yourself. Elden Ring does the same. And building upon it, the guidance of grace is ingenious, because it gives you some orientation in the world, but instead of presenting the goal it shows the direction. So you still need to interact with the world to find the goal.

Yeah, I have no doubt Miyazaki was influenced by some of BotW design - as I have no doubt he was influenced by some of decades old PC RPGs (whether he said it or not, it is very, very obvious in ER design).
As for things from BotW - I'm so happy there is no climbing in Elden Ring, execution of that in BotW majorly ruined it for me - Elden Ring has wonderful verticality and such non-punishing implementation of climbing as it was in BotW would just cheapen its exploration. As for guidance markers, I disliked them in BotW, I dislike them in Elden Ring as well and never use them - to be honest, I would like if there was an option not to even know where I am on the map (like in Outward). I like the idea of Torrent (horse-yak?), how you call and disband it reminded me of Despair from Darksiders 2. I would still take DS2 mechanically over ER, but ER is such a joy to explore.

Breath of the Wild was probably the best WiiU title and I absolutely loved it... So if they can meet or exceed those expectations... Then us, the consumer benefits.

Take your time Nintendo.

Rick1331 said:

I'm really starting to get a Switch 2 vibe here, it just reminds me of Twilight Princesses development to some degree.

However the delay doesn't bother me simply because BotW was one of my least favourite 3D games (still enjoyed it of course). I'd be quite happy with another TP/WW release to tide me over.

Nah. That would mean that the Switch never got a true exclusive Zelda title...

Slownenberg said:
Rick1331 said:

I'm really starting to get a Switch 2 vibe here, it just reminds me of Twilight Princesses development to some degree.

However the delay doesn't bother me simply because BotW was one of my least favourite 3D games (still enjoyed it of course). I'd be quite happy with another TP/WW release to tide me over.

No Switch 2 vibe. BotW2 is 12 months away. Switch 2 is several years away. There will be plenty of other first party games coming out on Switch between BotW2 and Switch 2 launch.

I'm getting a TP/WW HD this year vibe.

Hardware wise, I think we are overdue for a new console that steps things up, but with the current chip manufacturing climate, Nintendo would be wise to delay any successor until production is in their favor.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mnementh said:
HoloDust said:

These are good points.  I can definitely see BotW's influence in Elden Ring in both what is there and what is missing.  Right out of the tutorial area I start gathering crafting materials from bushes and stuff just like BotW, and in both games the items that you can craft are actually from a fairly limited list.  For example, you don't craft armor or melee weapons in either game.  Those are meant to be found or won as a reward.

From my perspective, the two best games of the 2010's were Dark Souls and BotW.  Elden Ring feels like a pretty good blend of the two.  I'm only 25-30 hours in, but so far it feels like it's going to be my game of the current decade.  I am not optimistic that another game will touch it any time soon, including BotW2, but I would like to be proven wrong.

BotW was and is amazing. But BotW2 needs a better battle system and better dungeon designs.

Elden 2 needs better bosses. Too many of them are extremely lame and repetitive.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Disappointing but not unexpected. I think there's a curse on games I put on my Most Wanted list. On the bright side, 2022 is still stacked even without BotW2.

Please light your most wanted list on fire.  

Mar1217 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

These are good points.  I can definitely see BotW's influence in Elden Ring in both what is there and what is missing.  Right out of the tutorial area I start gathering crafting materials from bushes and stuff just like BotW, and in both games the items that you can craft are actually from a fairly limited list.  For example, you don't craft armor or melee weapons in either game.  Those are meant to be found or won as a reward.

From my perspective, the two best games of the 2010's were Dark Souls and BotW.  Elden Ring feels like a pretty good blend of the two.  I'm only 25-30 hours in, but so far it feels like it's going to be my game of the current decade.  I am not optimistic that another game will touch it any time soon, including BotW2, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Love all the people who are still solely reflecting upon the moment to say such things about which games are the best of any given times.

Appart from a strong recency bias, I think it's important to let enough sink to really reflect upon games in multiple ways and experience new ones to actually gain new insight on previous experiences as well.

What you are saying sounds reasonable.  However, it ignores the fact that most big budget games are kinda "meh" nowadays. 

It's nice to have a big budget title that takes risks and is still well executed.  I personally don't find too many titles anymore that fit all of those criteria.  Really the last one before Elden Ring was BotW.  And the last one before BotW?  Not sure.  Maybe FF10 or FF12.  It's been a while.  Of course, I am talking about my personal tastes.  I find most big budget Western titles to be trash.  So, according to my tastes, I don't expect to enjoy a big budget game as much as Elden Ring for quite a while. 

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 31 March 2022

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mar1217 said:

Love all the people who are still solely reflecting upon the moment to say such things about which games are the best of any given times.

Appart from a strong recency bias, I think it's important to let enough sink to really reflect upon games in multiple ways and experience new ones to actually gain new insight on previous experiences as well.

What you are saying sounds reasonable.  However, it ignores the fact that most big budget games are kinda "meh" nowadays. 

It's nice to have a big budget title that takes risks and is still well executed.  I personally don't find too many titles anymore that fit all of those criteria.  Really the last one before Elden Ring was BotW.  And the last one before BotW?  Not sure.  Maybe FF10 or FF12.  It's been a while.  Of course, I am talking about my personal tastes.  I find most big budget Western titles to be trash.  So, according to my tastes, I don't expect to enjoy a big budget game as much as Elden Ring for quite a while. 

Skyrim? The Witcher 3? Red Dead 1? 

I'm definitely cool with that.

Not gonna lie...im like +100 hrs into the game and only beat the first beast lol Damn open world! Just so fun adventuring and hitting up all the shrines/side missions.

IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Skyrim? The Witcher 3? Red Dead 1? 

As I said, "I find most big budget Western titles to be trash."  I'll probably give Witcher 3 a try at some point though.  I've never played a game from CD Project Red and I think they've fixed any bugs it had.  But Cyberpunk 2077 would fall into the trash category.

When I'm saying Elden Ring is already "game of the decade", I mean it's my personal game of the decade.  I already doubt I'll find another game before 2030 that I like better except maybe Elden Ring 2.  I would love for some developer to prove me wrong, but I'm skeptical it will happen.