By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Whilst providing them the best reason for joining NATO.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Ukraine defense efforts reports high success. Estimates suggest that the Putin's forces have been unable to achieve their day 1 objectives because of an unexpectedly stiff Ukrainian resistance.

"The estimated losses of the enemy"
"Tanks, more than 30"
"Armoured vehicles, up to 130"
"Aircraft, 7"
"Helicopters, 6"
"Keep calm, follow the information on official resources. Together, to victory."

Over 130 Ukrainians died. 800 Russian troops are estimated to have been lost.

I hope this is true. It's encouraging seeing just how committed many Ukrainians are to the defense effort. Gives me hope that maybe Ukraine will make it through this and remain sovereign.

Ryuu96 said:

Whilst providing NATO members the best reason to not let them join. It's a very fucked up situation, Eastern European countries just can't catch a break. 

On another note, the Russian plan was to provoke a coup as soon as yesterday and more or less calm the waters in their favor, but if that didn't happen, is indeed thanks to the stiff resistance. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

TallSilhouette said:
Jumpin said:

Ukraine defense efforts reports high success. Estimates suggest that the Putin's forces have been unable to achieve their day 1 objectives because of an unexpectedly stiff Ukrainian resistance.

"The estimated losses of the enemy"
"Tanks, more than 30"
"Armoured vehicles, up to 130"
"Aircraft, 7"
"Helicopters, 6"
"Keep calm, follow the information on official resources. Together, to victory."

Over 130 Ukrainians died. 800 Russian troops are estimated to have been lost.

I hope this is true. It's encouraging seeing just how committed many Ukrainians are to the defense effort. Gives me hope that maybe Ukraine will make it through this and remain sovereign.

From what I've seen, it seems like Ukraine is putting up a stronger fight than everyone expected, Russia will still likely take Kyiv in the end but Ukraine isn't going down easily and will make it hurt.

Then what comes afterwards will be an issue too, Russia may take Ukraine but holding control of it is another issue, we'll have to hope the sanctions work and Ukraine's resistance makes it ultimately too costly for Putin.

But it is inspiring to see how hard the Ukrainians are fighting, everyday citizens, the soldiers, even the politicians are fighting harder than everyone expected.

Metallox said:
Ryuu96 said:

Whilst providing NATO members the best reason to not let them join. It's a very fucked up situation, Eastern European countries just can't catch a break. 

True it may put off some NATO members from allowing membership, I think in Finland and Sweden's case though, I would like to believe we would accept them in as long as they aren't already in conflict with Russia and Russia ain't going to dare to attack a NATO country.

If Finland and Sweden want to join it needs to be ASAP.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 February 2022

Around the Network

It's already feeling like, for Russia to properly oust the current Ukrainian government, they'll need to engage in a very long conflict, totally unexpected by them, which also explains their willingness for "negotiations".

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

All of Europe should join NATO and lay a direct message on Putin's doorstep.

Metallox said:
Ryuu96 said:

On another note, the Russian plan was to provoke a coup as soon as yesterday and more or less calm the waters in their favor, but if that didn't happen, is indeed thanks to the stiff resistance. 

Finland and Sweden aren't Eastern European countries. And both were invited to NATO summit, talk is they could be offering a quicker road to join.

It'll be interesting to see what we decide. It has been a debate here for a long time and I'm starting to lean towards joining. So far a big reason we haven't has been the hope Russia would leave us alone if we didn't. 

KiigelHeart said:
Metallox said:

Finland and Sweden aren't Eastern European countries. And both were invited to NATO summit, talk is they could be offering a quicker road to join.

It'll be interesting to see what we decide. It has been a debate here for a long time and I'm starting to lean towards joining. So far a big reason we haven't has been the hope Russia would leave us alone if we didn't. 

Ok, I brainfarted there about the location. Though, I mean, Finland is right next to Russia. 

I'd imagine support would increase though when it's essentially Russia going "Don't join or we'll invade, actually, you know what, we're going to invade anyway just to doubly make sure you don't join"

I hope Sweden/Finland join, I feel like Putin's actions are so baffling even from an evil dickhead perspective, he spent years trying to break apart NATO/EU/West slowly piece by piece and now it feels like this has the potential to undo all of that and bring us closer together than ever before.