By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Ryuu96 said:

USA kind of HAS to offer the guy and his family an out, being a leader of a nation, but my goodness him staying is inspiring a lot of people there, I'm sure. I saw an image earlier of a former Ukrainian president holding a rifle ready to defend with the citizens, an image of a couple that moved their wedding date up, got married, and then there were photos of them holding Ak-47's ready to defend Ukraine as newly-wed husband and wife, the Snake Island response, the old Ukranian woman bravely accosting the Russians soldiers, the stories go on. This is the kind of stuff that inspires resistance for years to come. Zelensky staying is tremendous, just like if he fled it would demoralize a lot, I'm sure. If the Russians are stupid enough to kill the man, it's going to be a rallying cry all across Ukraine.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
KratosLives said:

The usa and allies are at fault here. Biden especially rushed in with talks of sanctions, talking of this and that, calling russia names. Then borris did the same. Instead of calming the situation, they hurried and made it happen.

E veryone tried to act all defiant, instead of any respect or concern .They should have taken putin seriously and ukraine president should have tried to make a compromise atleast to prevent war. Now they failed, all for what? Stubborness and defiance.

Ukraine should have kept as a strong ally to russia, if not neutral but leaning closer to russia. Getting themselves closer to usa and nato was never going to go well for them.

Where are you getting this info from because it's complete crap. Russia is 100% at fault. Stop listening to very real Russian propaganda. Nobody should ever trust Putin because he literally lies all the fucking time. 

Ukraine was never going to join NATO. STOP IT! You're coming off very naive. 

Do note that not everybody is listening to propaganda. Many are just blinded by the fact that the States are a typically terrible actor, too, so, according to their predisposition, the conflict must be their fault as well. This is pretty much what's stopping the Russian government to receive the universal condemnation it deserves. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Ryuu96 said:

Rubio's intelligence has been pretty spot on this whole time so I wonder if there's any truth to this and if it links back to the rumours of Putin's ill health.

UK media report that Putin is ill and poised to quit is nonsense, says Kremlin | Reuters

I do think Putin has always been a disgusting person but lately his actions seem a bit rash even for him.

I evidently understand what Rubio is trying to get at but that is a one oddly worded tweet. Just say the guy could be ill, lol. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Ryuu96 said:

There are still people who remember Soviet tanks rolling through Budapest in 1956, and Zeman is old enough to remember both that and the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968. Despite Orban's ovetures towards Russia in recent years, Hungary has never really trusted them. 

Article also mentions condemnation coming from Bucharest and from Moldova. Romania is a NATO member but Moldova is not. They both border Ukraine on the south. (edit)

(edit) Bulgaria's president also issued a strong condemnation. Bulgaria is a NATO member. 

So, if all of this holds, Russia so far has a lot of Eastern European nations condemning them, no support from countries in its direct orbit like Kazakhstan, and no endorsement from China. The only help they seem to be getting so far is from Belarus, which allowed Russia to use Belarusian territory in the attack on Chernobyl.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 25 February 2022

Putin more fully explains his motives for invading Ukraine: they're Nazis! Especially the Jewish ones!! You know, for not wanting to die or be colonized.

Putin likewise claims he wants to negotiate now with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who he recognizes as the country's legitimate head of state...while his tanks and planes and soldiers are currently battling through the streets of Kyiv, advancing toward the presidential palace. It's called lying. He does a lot of that. For example, for the last two months he's been saying he wouldn't invade Ukraine at all and those 190,000 Russian troops being amassed along their border were just symbolically there to make sure Ukraine didn't invade and take over Russia BECAUSE THEY'RE NAZIS!!!

Personally, I'm with this Ukrainian woman who offered an occupying Russian soldier the gift of sunflower seeds...that she might be able to one day see flowers growing over his corpse when he dies on Ukrainian soil.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

Putin more fully explains his motives for invading Ukraine: they're Nazis! Especially the Jewish ones!! You know, for not wanting to die or be colonized.

Putin likewise claims he wants to negotiate now with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who he recognizes as the country's legitimate head of state...while his tanks and planes and soldiers are currently battling through the streets of Kyiv, advancing toward the presidential palace. It's called lying. He does a lot of that. For example, for the last two months he's been saying he wouldn't invade Ukraine at all and those 190,000 Russian troops being amassed along their border were just symbolically there to make sure Ukraine didn't invade and take over Russia BECAUSE THEY'RE NAZIS!!!

Personally, I'm with this Ukrainian woman who offered an occupying Russian soldier the gift of sunflower seeds...that she might be able to one day see flowers growing over his corpse when he dies on Ukrainian soil.

So he didn't invade Ukraine because he doesn't think it has any right to call itself a nation and because he thinks he's bigger than Peter the Great? Boy, I'm sure glad he cleared that misunderstanding up for us!

I can only imagine what kind of bargain with the devil Putin wants to offer Mr. Zelensky. I'm guessing Putin is going to use Mr. Zelensky's obvious concern for the people of Ukraine to try and threaten him into signing a deal which leaves Ukraine as a subject of the Russian Federation in all but the name. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 26 February 2022

Godspeed, people of Ukraine and President Zelensky. The fight for Kyiv is on. 

AP News: Street fighting begins in Kyiv; people urged to seek shelter

Ukraine invasion: Russians close on Kyiv but meet strong resistance - BBC News

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 26 February 2022

Latvian people donated more than 1 million euro to Ukraine yesterday, I contributed too.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Dulfite said:

Sounds like they are expecting a full on assault tonight from all sides on Kyiv. I don't get Putin's attempt at taking out leadership. For one thing, it isn't honorable, and secondly the Ukrainians are already demonstrating more nationalism than the Russians expected and that will only be more aflame if their leader and his wife/kids become martyrs or prisoners sent to Syberia.

Unfortunately in politics, honour is not the mark of a "good" politician. Read the Prince by Machiavelli someday if you can, its a major eye-opener to the reality of politics vs what we want to perceive.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).