By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Ryuu96 said:

Whilst providing them the best reason for joining NATO.

Whilst providing NATO members the best reason to not let them join. It's a very fucked up situation, Eastern European countries just can't catch a break. 

On another note, the Russian plan was to provoke a coup as soon as yesterday and more or less calm the waters in their favor, but if that didn't happen, is indeed thanks to the stiff resistance. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

It's already feeling like, for Russia to properly oust the current Ukrainian government, they'll need to engage in a very long conflict, totally unexpected by them, which also explains their willingness for "negotiations".

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

All of Europe should join NATO and lay a direct message on Putin's doorstep.

Metallox said:
Ryuu96 said:

Whilst providing NATO members the best reason to not let them join. It's a very fucked up situation, Eastern European countries just can't catch a break. 

On another note, the Russian plan was to provoke a coup as soon as yesterday and more or less calm the waters in their favor, but if that didn't happen, is indeed thanks to the stiff resistance. 

Finland and Sweden aren't Eastern European countries. And both were invited to NATO summit, talk is they could be offering a quicker road to join.

It'll be interesting to see what we decide. It has been a debate here for a long time and I'm starting to lean towards joining. So far a big reason we haven't has been the hope Russia would leave us alone if we didn't. 

KiigelHeart said:
Metallox said:

Finland and Sweden aren't Eastern European countries. And both were invited to NATO summit, talk is they could be offering a quicker road to join.

It'll be interesting to see what we decide. It has been a debate here for a long time and I'm starting to lean towards joining. So far a big reason we haven't has been the hope Russia would leave us alone if we didn't. 

Ok, I brainfarted there about the location. Though, I mean, Finland is right next to Russia. 

Around the Network

Finland defended themselves during WW2 against Russia and I bet they can again. They are part of true vikings. Kiev rus are offshoots.

Ryuu96 said:
Branko2166 said:

Thank you for posting this link. The lecture by Professor Mearsheimer is very insightful and accurately breaks down the internal dynamics of Ukraine as well as the likely future outcome if the West keeps pushing the Ukraine toward a hard-line anti Russian stance.

Sadly, years later his insights have proven to be prophetic and the greatest victims in all this are the Ukrainians. Clearly there is a significant divide within Ukraine and it was also predictable that it joining NATO was Russia's red line. In that sense, Russia's current actions, as deplorable as they may be from an international law perspective are entirely predictable.

As a fellow Slav my heart bleeds for Ukraine but also for the average Russian as this is the definition of a fratricidal conflict. Talking from a cynical and Machiavellian perspective, the West not only will be sitting this out but they will be happy to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian. May this conflict end as soon as possible and I pray that the casualties of the innocent are minimised.

The only one pushing Ukraine into an anti Russian stance is the country invading them.

A majority of Ukraine want to join NATO and a vast majority want nothing to do with Russia.

If they want to join it is their right to entertain that as a sovereign country.

This conflict will end with the least amount of casualties if mini Hitler gets his troops out, hopefully Ukraine puts up a resistance that makes it ultimately not worth it along with pressure domestically from protesters but it doesn't seem like Putin gives a damn about anything lately.

Ukraine shares the border with Russia, when they join Nato, US will have the right to put their army at Ukraine, it's very near Moscow - a big threat to Russia. As a leader, Putin must act to protect Russia.

Putin most likely didn't expect the Ukrainians to fight back this hard. Even if Ukraine falls (which, unfortunately is likely to happen) it won't be the glorious victory he had been hoping for.

Metallox said:
Ryuu96 said:

Russia can talk all it wants about invading other nations that want to join NATO, but I highly doubt they will want a multi front, multi nation war going on. I think they won't do anything if Finland and Sweden join NATO, especially with how much of a disaster this Ukraine invasion has gone.

So Finland is smoothing the process for NATO application, diplomacy is apparently pushing Germany and Italy to accept the removal of Russia from SWIFT and the RF failed to secure its key objectives in the first hours of the invasion; prospect of a long war is looking more likely.

It sure looks like everything is against Russia, but what will it be its response? Way too convenient to say Putin expected a brief campaign with little resistance and a small insurgency afterwards and zero economical retaliations.