By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

KiigelHeart said:
Mandalore76 said:

Read it just fine, and specifically bolded the part that I was commenting to.  No need to "count on" someone else to be president when the first action which already happened emboldened the second action that is happening now.

But he could've counted on a less united and determined response from the west after his second action. That was my point. We can also say he would've preferred Trump to be the president to clear things up. Hiku already eleborated the reasons why.

Why would he have preferred Trump? If Putin was dumb, sure, but Putin isn't dumb. He knows, behind all the chaos and seemingly cluelessness of Trump, that there is an intelligence in there. Trump mastered the art of intentional misdirection to get under the skin of his opponents and draw out the worst in them.  Sometimes it backfired, but literally no one, not even his family, knew what he would do one day to the next. He kept his cards close to the chest.

Putin knew exactly what he was getting with Biden: a deep state controlled man seemingly in cognitive decline with a Vice President that is about as clueless as Dan Quayle.

With Trump he is either a genius or literally insane, and either way Putin was wise to avoid conflict with him. Fighting a genius is hard, fighting a madman is just idiotic.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

I've been following this very closely over the past weeks, Vladimir Hitler is an absolute monster, fuck Putin, fuck anyone who downplays Russian aggression, especially fuck anyone who outright supports it, fuck monsters like Tucker Carlson and Tulsi Gabbard jumping in defence of Russia or Trump calling Putin a genius and suggesting they should do the same to Mexico, this is fucking disgusting, it has so many parallels to Nazi Germany, a sovereign country is being brutally invaded for the crime of just daring to exist, Putin has gone absolutely insane.

And don't be an idiot, this has nothing to do with Biden's ability to speak, I have my criticisms of Biden outside of this but Biden has done a brilliant job at bringing the West together so far against Russian aggression, we tried diplomacy but you can't do diplomacy with a mad man, Russia already attacked Ukraine years ago and this is a culmination of years of build up, I'm sorry to any Russian citizens who are against Putin's bullshit but we have to respond with aggressive sanctions and cut Russia off from the rest of the world, even if it hurts us.

And the Mod team stands with Ukraine so take that into account before saying dumb shit.

FWIW: Ukraine Humanitarian Relief/Support Efforts Thread | ResetEra

I just got through watching Tucker's program for this evening (I HAD to see how he'd respond to these developments) and it was painful. I've never seen him so robotic before. Clearly either he or the network he works for knows that his audience ain't with him on this one because he found himself stuck reporting academic facts about the war and interviewing actual Ukrainians without editorializing. (One could tell he still wanted to take swipes at the Ukrainian president from time to time, but he restrained himself.) It was the most plastic, emotionless, clearly forced coverage I've seen on television so far. The man clearly sides with Russia but feels restrained in what he can say now that his "How long is imminent?" refrain has fallen apart.

This I believe qualifies as the darkest moment for Europe in the 21st century so far. As I write this, explosions are being heard inside Ukraine's capital city of Kyiv. One can expect it to fall within days, or perhaps even mere hours.

The all too rare scenes of dissent inside Russia are the only thing that give me a semblance of hope here. It takes monumental bravery to publicly criticize Vladimir Putin in any way inside Russia. Those who do so are often known to disappear under mysterious circumstances, never to be heard from again. I love these audacious people, whoever they are!

Fuck Putin and Slava Ukraini

Also this isn't about the US and I hate people trying to make it about NATO or US or Biden or whatever. Those are side characters. Focus on what we can do for Ukraine. Send weapons, sanction Russia and hell even send 100s of thousands of spies from around the world just trying to off Putin. Like I want every ukraininian to have missile launchers and I want a ridiculous amount of spies from every other country coming in trying to off Putin, like we hear about a new attempt every half an hour.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Ukraine defense efforts reports high success. Estimates suggest that the Putin's forces have been unable to achieve their day 1 objectives because of an unexpectedly stiff Ukrainian resistance.

"The estimated losses of the enemy"
"Tanks, more than 30"
"Armoured vehicles, up to 130"
"Aircraft, 7"
"Helicopters, 6"
"Keep calm, follow the information on official resources. Together, to victory."

Over 130 Ukrainians died. 800 Russian troops are estimated to have been lost.

In Russia, they are arresting thousands of protesters who oppose the war.

Last edited by trasharmdsister12 - on 25 February 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Ukraine defense efforts reports high success. Estimates suggest that the Putin's forces have been unable to achieve their day 1 objectives because of an unexpectedly stiff Ukrainian resistance.

"Tanks, more than 30"
"Aircraft, 7"
"Helicopters, 6"
"Keep calm, follow the information on official resources. Together, to victory."

In Russia, they are arresting thousands of protesters who oppose the war.

This is the old case of invasion force with superior numbers of soldiers and weapons vs. the defending force with home field advantage and lots of defensive structures.

Looks like the Ukrainians, if those numbers above are accurate, are doing better than the Russians so far even proportionally.

Also, the Ukrainians are winning the fight over who can get the most inspiring moments out there, with those island defense guys telling the Russians off before dying and now the women doing it too, both of those clips have gone viral. Wars are fought by strong mentality and that will only rally the Ukrainians more.

Around the Network

The putler's fascist regime must fall, I hope it will be a inside job.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Ryuu96 said:

Be careful when embedding Tweets, try to use the inbuilt embed feature in Rich Text Reply, I believe posting tweets through Quick Reply breaks the thread.

Yeah, I didn't realize simply posting the link would do that. I'll know for the future.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

padib said:
Signalstar said:

Biden's farts make more sense than whatever rambling incoherent logic is behind that nonsensical post of yours.

Your brain is full of Biden's. Better take the opinions of a professor to clear some air:
https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4

This from 2016.

Thank you for posting this link. The lecture by Professor Mearsheimer is very insightful and accurately breaks down the internal dynamics of Ukraine as well as the likely future outcome if the West keeps pushing the Ukraine toward a hard-line anti Russian stance.

Sadly, years later his insights have proven to be prophetic and the greatest victims in all this are the Ukrainians. Clearly there is a significant divide within Ukraine and it was also predictable that it joining NATO was Russia's red line. In that sense, Russia's current actions, as deplorable as they may be from an international law perspective are entirely predictable.

As a fellow Slav my heart bleeds for Ukraine but also for the average Russian as this is the definition of a fratricidal conflict. Talking from a cynical and Machiavellian perspective, the West not only will be sitting this out but they will be happy to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian. May this conflict end as soon as possible and I pray that the casualties of the innocent are minimised.

From the people of my country, they say like this:

Ukraine: Putin/Russia is the invader, Nato/US are everything, they will protect us.
Putin: Lenin to Ukraine is like Ho Chi Minh to Vietnam. Destroying Lenin statue is unforgivable, they need to be taught a lesson.

The real reason: Ukraine shares the border with Russia, but they severed the bond with Russia, followed US/Nato. If Nato/US attack Ukraine, Russia will defend them. But if Russia attack Ukraine, no one will defend them. When they join Nato, US will have the right to put their army at Ukraine, it's very near Moscow - a big threat to Russia. As a leader, Putin must act to protect Russia.

Jumpin said:

"Tanks, more than 30"
"Aircraft, 7"
"Helicopters, 6"

I hope this is true. It's encouraging seeing just how committed many Ukrainians are to the defense effort. Gives me hope that maybe Ukraine will make it through this and remain sovereign.