By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CGI's Party Of Graphics & Tech (9th Generation)

CGI-Quality said:

The issue you take with the paintings and carpet is the lacking of ambient occlusion. This isn't in addition to, this is the issue in a nutshell. I can go back through those same scenes and brute force AO and get far better results, but I'd like to play through it on its own merits first. AO is also taxing in some instances, and while my system can power through it easy, I'd rather not sacrifice even a tad of performance just for the sake of better occlusion around objects. The game looks plenty great already!

It's actually a testament to how good it looks that we're even nitpicking those paintings. On top of that, because it is a small team that produced those visuals, they are magnified in their excellence. So, the few gripes one can throw at it are acceptable, as visuals are headed in the right direction.  

Another look at the same hallway produces better results because this type of game has better light bounce than games of the past and in stills often leave out subtle intricacies that bring the image to life! So, moving around helps lights and shadows in ways that previous gen's pre-baked solutions lacked.

Ah, my misunderstanding of AO in that case. I always thought that only did 'stuff' to corners :) Yep that pic looks much more balanced. (now the open door stands out, can't win haha)

Yet those Nanite shots, wow! That's a whole different ball park from photo grammetry in FS2020 (which is mighty impressive as well, from 800ft distance) Might I ask how much RAM that consumes. Photogrammetry data in FS2020 is very memory intensive. Depending on the draw distance of course, yet to have a clear 4K scene stretching into the distance you're looking at over 20GB commited system ram.

Here's me going in my head whether Death Stranding or Forbidden West has the best looking open world environments, then Nanite shows up :)

Around the Network

I'm playing through horizon west, and I can say that tlou2 has better graphics, so far.

CGI-Quality said:

Now THIS is something special! Known as UE5 Discover and running on Nanite, the screens show me walking through what is a visually stunning environment, textured with photogrammetry and showing what potential next generation games may look like when running exclusively on PS5, XSX, and PC!

What do you think?

I love what the lighting is doing to the scene...but honestly, I would not like to play a game that looks like this - for my taste, it looks a bit bland and ordinary, too much like yet another unperfect copy of the real world. but that's just me, I'll always take stylized realism over attempts at photoreaslism.

CGI-Quality said:

We'll start with this!

PRAGMATA

This impressed me a lot the first time I watched it.

I'm looking forward to this game, even if I have no idea how the gameplay will work out.

wtf is wrong with the eyes?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

The next Forza Motorsport is looking like it's gonna be a great gen 9 showcase.

CGI-Quality said:

"just texture and resolution bump"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Spider-Man Remastered (PC, 1440p, All Settings Ultra)

Cloth, hair, and skin were greatly improved! Plus, we have proper raytraced reflections after an update (taking it a step beyond the PS5 version).

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 October 2022

Norion said:

The next Forza Motorsport is looking like it's gonna be a great gen 9 showcase.

Forza Motorsport is always a great graphical showcase.  

I don't care much for the gameplay in Motorsport.  But, I'll certainly fire it up for a while to appreciate the visuals.  

CGI-Quality said:

Spider-Man Remastered (PC, 1440p, All Settings Ultra)

Cloth, hair, and skin were greatly improved! Plus, we have proper raytraced reflections after an update (taking it a step beyond the PS5 version).

Insomniac pushing all technologies they can on updates of the game without additional charge.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."