By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

SegaHeart said:
the-pi-guy said:

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan says that Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles. The advantages Bungie offers Sony is in its ability to make huge, multiplatform, live-service online games, which is something the wider organisation is eager to learn from.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games

>PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

Jim Ryan seems like a very nice guy, Hope phil makes Call of Duty multiplatform still . Which I think warzone is already ? but what about mainline?

Jim Ryan is a douche.  He's the most exec type as they get. He's been with Sony since forever and never liked him on his decisions to his mocking older games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

I mean I get it. Its a hole that sony has in their catalog. But what I really want to know if that money thats going to this one decaying studio that is squeizing the last juice of a dying franchise worth the investment of some other like a Sega or Capcom, that it might cost more but they dish out one or more games every year of different genres. I just dont get it. And its not just that FPS games dont appeal to me, its that you could service so many more smaller audiences than just a single big audience. Also How good it sounds to have one new game every year than have an update to an existing game that wont be getting any bigger.

A successful FTP game is probably worth significantly more than these other investments which Sony benefits from anyway. Capcom/Sega would only make sense if its a race against MS to secure valuable IPs. It seems this is a bit complex than that. 

the-pi-guy said:

I wonder if people would try out Bungie/Playstation's new IP just off that name recognition.

With Destiny and Halo under their belt I'm sure there'd be a lot of curious players. (Like Kojima and Death Stranding?)

Azzanation said:

So if they are staying multiplatform, than i guess they won't be working on Internal Sony IPs like Killzone and Resistance, i doubt Sony will allow those games multiplat, unless they mean PS and PC.

No they don't only mean PS and PC.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. [...] And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal."

"[Bungie] will operate autonomously within the Sony Interactive Entertainment organisation, and they will continue to publish on other platforms".

= PC and at least one more platform that isn't Playstation.

So yeah they most likely won't make Killzone or Resistance.

Around the Network

So now we got certain people want to convince you Bungie games will remain multiplatform when just a a few days ago they so quickly to dismiss Phil's claim of "we want to keep call of duty on playstation".....how quickly does the narrative change depending on who the company is making the big purchase.

on plus side Sony now has a "live service" cash cow game on top of the big profits from everything on PS plus and playstation as whole, should help them financially with bigger and more acquisition going forward.

Leynos said:

I hate saying things like this but Nintendo, go get Platinum games and maybe Koei Tecmo.

Nintendo is the company Micro should've bought with the money they used for Zenimax and are planning to use for AB... and a little more. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Bungie had revenues of around 500 millions back in 2019, according to some rumours

Number of players have been increasing since then and the new expansions seems to get better and better.

That's for people saying the franchise is going downhill.

Interesting take by Sony, they are trying to increase their multiplayer and live-services department with this acquisition.

800_LilTwin said:

So now we got certain people want to convince you Bungie games will remain multiplatform when just a a few days ago they so quickly to dismiss Phil's claim of "we want to keep call of duty on playstation".....how quickly does the narrative change depending on who the company is making the big purchase.

on plus side Sony now has a "live service" cash cow game on top of the big profits from everything on PS plus and playstation as whole, should help them financially with bigger and more acquisition going forward.

The narrative didn't change, you just lack the talent to properly read.

Sony and Bungie say: future Bungie releases will be multiplatform (PC+PS+at least one other platform). Players on other platforms will be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences.

MS (Phil Spencer) says: "I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation"

That means that all CoD games that Sony paid for will still be released on Playstation and very likely MS won't pull Warzone from PS store but nowhere does it say that new CoD releases after that will come to PS. That's pure speculation.

Even if Bungie remains multiplatform for the remainder of the generation, Sony could change that on a whim, like I'd be surprised if a new IP from Bungie appears on GamePass day and date lol.

Still, in this day and age of consolidation, its better to own Bungie with a few concessions, rather than the possibility of having them taken away from your platform permanently.