By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

I hope they don't. I don't see Nintendo putting their games on any other platform.

If Sony is going shopping in Japan, which I think is inevitable at this point, it will force Nintendo's hand. 

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
trunkswd said:

A bit odd that Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" and they will remain a multiplatform studio. Especially with a deal worth $3.6 billion.

I'm pretty sure Xbox made an offer, probably with a lot more money. Perhaps "independence" was the Cherry that made Bungie choose Playstation.

You might be right with that. This also pulls PlayStation further ahead of Xbox in-terms of revenue. Microsoft specifically stated in their Activision Blizzard acquisition announcement they would still only be the third biggest gaming company after Sony and Tencent. So in some ways this could help make the Activision Blizzard acquisition pass regulators easier than it would have before.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Halo: Combat Evolved was going to have a PS2 port, before it got cancelled. Things are coming full circle. But I know Bungie has not been involved with Halo for a very long time, and who knows if Halo will ever crossover from Xbox and Windows.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PotentHerbs said:
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

I hope they don't. I don't see Nintendo putting their games on any other platform.

If Sony is going shopping in Japan, which I think is inevitable at this point, it will force Nintendo's hand. 

Why?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Leynos said:

I hate saying things like this but Nintendo, go get Platinum games and maybe Koei Tecmo.

Out of the big three - Nintendo's the one I wouldnt want to acquire anyone.

I'd rather have Sony or MS take companies.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

Buying a studio with a single downhill franchise on their back for an absurd amount of money is... not very smart.

Wonder if this means "non Destiny" IPs are going to be Playstation (and probably PC) exclusives...

GoTY 2022:

MS taking away FPS from Sony so it was just a matter of time for Sony to find a way to bring back FPS.

I'm more hoping Sony will also revive the Resistance/Killzon/Socom franchise to keep a steady pace of shooter games on their system.

Manlytears said:

Wonder if this means "non Destiny" IPs are going to be Playstation (and probably PC) exclusives...

Hope so. If Playstation 5 is not getting Fallout 5 , Outerworlds 2 and Starfield then It's best it stays exclusive to PS5 Microsoft has too much weapons . Good for Sony getting a FPS developer as strong as bungie. They took Crash and Spyro.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

the-pi-guy said:
Leynos said:

As corp exec talk where they say nothing but a weighty nothing.

Well, Bungie is staying multiplatform, even for new games.

Everything for now, Multiplatform as in PS5 and PC in the future.

Last edited by Leynos - on 31 January 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!