By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

the-pi-guy said:

1.) Not a response to MS buying Activision.

2.) Companies are buying due to the current inflation rate.

Not a response to MS buying Activision but maybe Bethesda? 

Around the Network

Leynos said:
the-pi-guy said:

Well, Bungie is staying multiplatform, even for new games.

Everything for now, Multiplatform as in PS5 and PC in the future.

This is from Bungie's faq on the topic:

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? ​

No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. ​

The fact that they're being so forward about it, is a fairly good indication that it won't be leaving the Xbox platform.

Vodacixi said:

Buying a studio with a single downhill franchise on their back for an absurd amount of money is... not very smart.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan says that Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles. The advantages Bungie offers Sony is in its ability to make huge, multiplatform, live-service online games, which is something the wider organisation is eager to learn from.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games

>PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan says that Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles. The advantages Bungie offers Sony is in its ability to make huge, multiplatform, live-service online games, which is something the wider organisation is eager to learn from.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games

>PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

Jim Ryan seems like a very nice guy, Hope phil makes Call of Duty multiplatform still . Which I think warzone is already ? but what about mainline?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

So if they are staying multiplatform, than i guess they won't be working on Internal Sony IPs like Killzone and Resistance, i doubt Sony will allow those games multiplat, unless they mean PS and PC.

I mean I get it. Its a hole that sony has in their catalog. But what I really want to know if that money thats going to this one decaying studio that is squeizing the last juice of a dying franchise worth the investment of some other like a Sega or Capcom, that it might cost more but they dish out one or more games every year of different genres. I just dont get it. And its not just that FPS games dont appeal to me, its that you could service so many more smaller audiences than just a single big audience. Also How good it sounds to have one new game every year than have an update to an existing game that wont be getting any bigger.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Azzanation said:

So if they are staying multiplatform, than i guess they won't be working on Internal Sony IPs like Killzone and Resistance, i doubt Sony will allow those games multiplat, unless they mean PS and PC.

TBH Destiny is bigger than any of those franchises and a new IP built from the ground up probably has bigger potential 

eva01beserk said:
Vodacixi said:

Buying a studio with a single downhill franchise on their back for an absurd amount of money is... not very smart.

Good sir, you gave me an excellent laugh, thank you.

GoTY 2022: