By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

Pretty bad deal in my opinion.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
Leynos said:

I prefer SEGA as a 3rd party but SEGA would make more sense under Nintendo's roof than MS. Sonic qould have better quality control. Nintendo is morelikley to have some classic SEGA IPs revised as they fit a Nintendo audience better. Atlus would do wonders not just making Persona but assisting other studios and then imagine a Atlus/Monolith collaberation. The one downside is Yakuza would be on lesser hardware. Again I hope sSEGA can stay 3rd party but if they have to go somewhere. Nintendo makes more sense.

In america the 4th gen war is more than if Microsoft bought Sony , if Sony ever becomes 3rd party , that's why that generation 4th was the best console war generation ever and the Genesis does commercials made us really give Nintendo the business , it was especially personal when kids compared Sonic is better than Mario and having Nintendo make Sonic better is bad taste to 4th generation fans of SEGA . (It's like Microsoft buys Sony in 2040 and Microsoft fixes Uncharted what was perfect already in 1992 ala Sonic 2 and 1994 Soinc 3 and Knuckles)

Lay the past to rest, that was 30 years ago.

eva01beserk said:
Vodacixi said:

Buying a studio with a single downhill franchise on their back for an absurd amount of money is... not very smart.

Don't do this to me. I almost forgot this guy existed. I was so close xD

Nice to see Sony and Bungie being very clear about this multiplatform strategy going forward, very pro-consumer move by them unlike others...

Well Bungie has over 900 people working for them and the studio is expanding. Surely this is a purchase for the long term.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50109

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Metallox said:
Leynos said:

I hate saying things like this but Nintendo, go get Platinum games and maybe Koei Tecmo.

Nintendo is the company Micro should've bought with the money they used for Zenimax and are planning to use for AB... and a little more. 

Can't buy a company that doesn't want to be bought. And even if they wanted to sell they probably wouldn't agree to anything less than 150 billion. Their IPs are way to valuable.

In addition to that there is a very strict regulation in Japan concerning investment from foreign companies into Japanese companies. Completely buying one of the biggest ones would likely get blocked by the government.

PotentHerbs said:

Even if Bungie remains multiplatform for the remainder of the generation, Sony could change that on a whim, like I'd be surprised if a new IP from Bungie appears on GamePass day and date lol.

Still, in this day and age of consolidation, its better to own Bungie with a few concessions, rather than the possibility of having them taken away from your platform permanently.

I guess they could in theory but if they did that they would piss off many of the Bungie execs and creative minds and those might want to leave the company after that and possibly create a new studio. Not a very good idea. Same as MS not trying to force Bethesda to make games they don't want to.

I don't expect any future Bungie game on Game Pass either (well if it's again F2P then there's no need to) but MLB The Show shows that it's at least possible.

the-pi-guy said:

1.) Not a response to MS buying Activision.

2.) Companies are buying due to the current inflation rate.

I don't think it's a direct response but it could be part of one. Maybe Sony was in the bidding war for Activision too and when they realized they were not going to outbid MS they targeted Bungie.

the-pi-guy said:
800_LilTwin said:

So now we got certain people want to convince you Bungie games will remain multiplatform when just a a few days ago they so quickly to dismiss Phil's claim of "we want to keep call of duty on playstation".....how quickly does the narrative change depending on who the company is making the big purchase.

Difference is, Sony and Bungie have said like 4 times in 4 different places in 4 different ways in the space of a few hours that Bungie will remain multiplatform.

MS hasn't gone to the same extent.

MS also stated that they want GamePass on PS and Nintendo systems. So its really up to Sony and they get the games.

jason1637 said:
the-pi-guy said:

1.) Not a response to MS buying Activision.

2.) Companies are buying due to the current inflation rate.

I don't think it's a direct response but it could be part of one. Maybe Sony was in the bidding war for Activision too and when they realized they were not going to outbid MS they targeted Bungie.

This is more a reaction to the Bethesda deal. Makes more sense.