By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

Azzanation said:
jason1637 said:

I don't think it's a direct response but it could be part of one. Maybe Sony was in the bidding war for Activision too and when they realized they were not going to outbid MS they targeted Bungie.

This is more a reaction to the Bethesda deal. Makes more sense.

You have a point this is probably just that.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

I guess they could in theory but if they did that they would piss off many of the Bungie execs and creative minds and those might want to leave the company after that and possibly create a new studio. Not a very good idea. Same as MS not trying to force Bethesda to make games they don't want to.

I don't expect any future Bungie game on Game Pass either (well if it's again F2P then there's no need to) but MLB The Show shows that it's at least possible.

I'm sure the possibility of going PS/PC after a period of time was discussed for this buyout. It's not like Bungie wanted to leave Microsoft because they were constrained to Xbox/PC releases. 

This deal make perfect sense since Destiny can stay multiplatform but join whatever PlayStation Spartacus subscription service. Just like Call of Duty can stay multiplatform but will be on Xbox Game Pass. It will be interesting to see if this a closed deal like Minecraft where that franchise had to stay multiplatform.

It's pretty obvious that Sony is also going to be making their own FPS IPs or bring back old IP like Killzone.

I guess it makes sense from a business point of view, but at the end of the day not a single thing/product from Bungie has ever appealed to me. So this is kind of an underwhelming acquisition if this is Sony's answer to MS buying Activision/Blizzard.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 31 January 2022

This doesn't seem like a particular good deal.
Microsoft got Bethesda for $7.5 billion, it came with the IPs:
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Dishonored
The Evil Within
DOOM
Wolfenstein
Quake

And of cause any new IP Bethesda would come up with (Starfield, Deathloop).

Sony got Bungie for a little less than half of that, that only came with Destiny...

Around the Network

LOL at people saying Sony couldn't make purchases. If they can buy Bungie for 3.6b, they can definitely go for SE for 7b.

Vinther1991 said:

The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Dishonored
The Evil Within
DOOM
Wolfenstein
Quake

Sony got Bungie for a little less than half of that, that only came with Destiny...

Destiny is raking in cash every day from its live service much like GTA online/Apex legends/Warzone.

Does Dishonored/Doom/Evil within/Wolfenstein bring that?

Plus you think they will never make any new or other IP?

800_LilTwin said:
Vinther1991 said:

The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Dishonored
The Evil Within
DOOM
Wolfenstein
Quake

Destiny is raking in cash every day from its live service much like GTA online/Apex legends/Warzone.

Does Dishonored/Doom/Evil within/Wolfenstein bring that?

Plus you think they will never make any new or other IP?

Yup before this deal was made Bungie was worth about 2 billion. The 1.6Billion value to Sony is what Bungie means to all the Sony's FPS IPs. Sony could wind out with 3-4 FPS IP from this deal this generation alone and these mega acquisitions are made with long term thinking not just immediate rewards. 

I think its inevitable Sony will purchase a publisher. We even got Shinobi hinting at Sony buying Capcom lol.

In the Variety interview, the CEO of Sony stated they were buyers not sellers, and will be shopping for IP. There's no other entertainment sector where they can get IP outside of gaming. The real question is, who has a large back catalog of IP that can be adapted into film or television, that also have popular live service titles? I think Capcom and Ubisoft fit the bill.

They forgot about the "organic growth" for a little bit there. I mean, I don't blame them.