Hey everyone. We've begun posting the articles that announce the results of VGChartz's official GOTY Awards. Starting tomorrow, we'll be posting 2-3 a day until the winners (and runners-up) of all categories are revealed.
I'll link to each one with a post in this thread and also collect them together in this OP, so you can easily find them all.
This year's articles:
- Best Action/Adventure Game of 2021
- Best Platformer of 2021
- Best Fighting Game of 2021
- Best Racing Game of 2021
- Best Action Game of 2021
- Best Party Game of 2021
- Best RPG of 2021
- Best Adventure Game of 2021
- Best Puzzle Game of 2021
- Best Shooter of 2021
- Best Indie Game of 2021
- Best DLC/Expansion of 2021
- Best VR Game of 2021
- Best Art Direction of 2021
- Best Original Music Score of 2021
- Best Supporting Performance of 2021
- Best Leading Performance of 2021
- Best Narrative of 2021
- Most Disappointing Game of 2021
- Best Surprise of 2021
- Most Anticipated Game of 2022
- VGChartz's Overall Game of the Year 2021
Q. How did you determine the winners?
A. It's a clean 50/50 weighting between the community vote and staff voting. The results of the community poll and staff vote were converted into percentages, combined, and then averaged, to give a final overall percentage.
Q. I didn't get chance to vote - is it too late?
A. I'm afraid so. Voting opened on Dec 19th and closed on Jan 3rd.
Q. Why did xxxx win Best Action/Adventure Game but not Best Platformer?
A. Games are only ever able to win (and be shortlisted for) one genre award, to prevent a single game sweeping half a dozen categories (yes, that used to happen in the early days). It will be categorised into whichever genre it performed best in during community voting.
Q. Why do you spoil the results on the front page with the banner?
A. The banner only really reveals that the game in question made the shortlist; it's not a guarantee it won the award.
Q. Which game won last year?
A. Here's a reminder of our previous Overall Game of the Year winners:
- 2020: The Last of Us Part II
- 2019: Resident Evil 2
- 2018: God of War
- 2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- 2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- 2015: Rocket League
- 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- 2013: Super Mario 3D World
- 2012: Journey
- 2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- 2010: Mass Effect 2
- 2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- 2008: LittleBigPlanet
- 2007: BioShock