By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards 2021 - Results Thread

Hey everyone. We've begun posting the articles that announce the results of VGChartz's official GOTY Awards. Starting tomorrow, we'll be posting 2-3 a day until the winners (and runners-up) of all categories are revealed.

I'll link to each one with a post in this thread and also collect them together in this OP, so you can easily find them all.

This year's articles:

Quick FAQs:

Q. How did you determine the winners?

A. It's a clean 50/50 weighting between the community vote and staff voting. The results of the community poll and staff vote were converted into percentages, combined, and then averaged, to give a final overall percentage.

Q. I didn't get chance to vote - is it too late?

A. I'm afraid so. Voting opened on Dec 19th and closed on Jan 3rd.

Q. Why did xxxx win Best Action/Adventure Game but not Best Platformer?

A. Games are only ever able to win (and be shortlisted for) one genre award, to prevent a single game sweeping half a dozen categories (yes, that used to happen in the early days). It will be categorised into whichever genre it performed best in during community voting.

Q. Why do you spoil the results on the front page with the banner?

A. The banner only really reveals that the game in question made the shortlist; it's not a guarantee it won the award.

Q. Which game won last year?

A. Here's a reminder of our previous Overall Game of the Year winners:

• 2020: The Last of Us Part II
  • 2019: Resident Evil 2
  • 2018: God of War
  • 2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • 2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • 2015: Rocket League
  • 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • 2013: Super Mario 3D World
  • 2012: Journey
  • 2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • 2010: Mass Effect 2
  • 2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • 2008: LittleBigPlanet
  • 2007: BioShock 
Last edited by Machina - 5 days ago

Around the Network

We kick things off with Best Action/Adventure Game of 2021.

Not a particularly close or surprising result in the end - the winner wasn't far off claiming half of all the votes. It did make some of the other genres a lot more competitive though, because each game can only make the shortlist for one genre.

I still remember that year when Rocket League won almost half the awards.

Curious to see more 2021 winners.

I have a Youtube channel... A Twitter, and... Yeah.

Here we go again. Game of the Year season!

The winner for "Best Action/Adventure Game of 2021" was not a surprise. But it definitely isn't the most lopsided winner this year. No, I won't say which category that is. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I still remember that year when Rocket League won almost half the awards.

Curious to see more 2021 winners.

I remember that being controversial. It is not that everyone voted it number, but a lot of people had it as their second or third favorite game of the year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Glad to see Dread cleaned house in that category!

Thanks for compiling the votes and producing the articles.

BTW: Are there links to the threads of the past years?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I didn't take the time to vote this year but I'll be interested to see the results. It seems Metroid Dread is off to a good start without my help.

Signature goes here!

Mnementh said:

Thanks for compiling the votes and producing the articles.

BTW: Are there links to the threads of the past years?

I think this is only the second year I've done a results thread. Last year's is here - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244117/vgchartz-official-goty-awards-results-thread/

Fortunately there are nice results summaries on the staff forums going back a decade or so, so if there's a particular year's results you'd like to know in full I can copy/paste them for you. 2011 or earlier things get trickier though, because we used to do awards by platform, not by genre.

Next up - Best Platformer of 2021. This became a very competitive genre, because a certain game stomped Action/Adventure. The winner here was just over 2% ahead of the runner-up.

*Note that because so many votes were 'wasted' here, on a game that became ineligible because it won another genre, we've decided to tweak the rule about games being listed for multiple genres during voting. Next year we're going to try and list each game for just one genre, but will leave the door open for multiple genres where it's almost impossible to place a game in just one.

Last edited by Machina - on 11 January 2022