By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are good reasons to live?

The James webb telescope looks like its going to successfully start sending back images in a few months
humans will return to the moon in a few years
humans will likely go to mars in a decade

exciting times ahead

Around the Network

A wise man once told me, the normal way to deal with any kind of feelings is to distract yourself. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Jaicee said:

Sorry, I'm at an extremely bad place tonight and need help remembering.

You use a Catra avatar, shouldn't that answer your question? Catra is in the show in a place, where nothing makes sense, where she feels like her life is pointless or worse damaging, like there is nothing for her than hurt feelings. She is accepting death, not caring anymore. Yet, she gets rescued, and although it is hard and involves a lot of hurt feelings, she finds a place there things are worth it. And that is independent of Adora, she finds that place in herself, if you look close enough.

I could even point to Shadow Weaver. All her life she only sought security by power through manipulating others. In the last minutes whe finds value and meaning in her life by helping her adopted children.

I personally had problems as a child. I was always an outsider, had no friends. Starting to become an adult was a horrifying outlook, how to find a place for myself. But surprisingly it worked all out. Not in an instant, it took years and things improved slow and gradually. The key was finding acceptance of myself. As a child I tried to shed being an outsider by trying to fit in. But becoming an adult I stopped that and started to find value within myself. Yes, I find still enough flaws with myself, but at the core I accepted who and what I am.

Start find the sides of yourself you love. Try not to judge yourself from the view of others, but strive to be your true self. And love that true self. Yes, we all have dark sides we hate, but embrace it. If you can, you can try to become better, but often it just is enough that you are a flawed human like everyone else. And that you can love yourself, with all your flaws. That all is slow and there are always dark days, but there is also always a tomorrow.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Death hurts, probably. So living is the better option

What are good reasons to not live is the better question. In the almost infinite amount of time in the universe and you are only alive for a very small amount of that time

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Love, sex, countless beautiful places to see, knowledge you could acquire, many nice people you could meet. Extremely depressed mood can temporarily prevent you from seeing them all, but they're all there, some to be met casually, some others effortlessly, some others with effort, but worth it. Don't let bad things, bad people and gloomy mood make you ignore all the good people and things.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

If it hurts, it's because you know you long for better, you deserve better. Being lost, not finding out your reason for enduring, makes you feel despair, and what an awful thing that is.
My commendation is not to expect "solutions" from a single source, but to grow as many relations with things and people as possible. Trust your potential and give yourself freely to as many things as possible, more joyfully and less concerned in the "return" of your efforts.
There are many amazing experiences and people ahead of you. Trust yourself, trust the providence, and enjoy the ride. It is important to consider yourself the hero of your story and not the victim of it.
Wonderful things sometimes are like fruit. They demand time and love and patience.
This is my experience. I hope it helps.

Ryuu96 said:

Is there anyone that you can talk to, a close friend or family member? I don't know if it applies to you but I know that often folk will think they're being a burden on friends or family by opening up but that is not the case, your close friends and family love you and any real friend or family member will only want you to be okay and do anything to help you achieve that.

There's no apology needed either, I think that almost everyone has these dark thoughts from time to time, the world would be a better place if we were more open and honest about these things, it's far better than bottling things up and encourages others to speak out before they do something bad. So if anything, I think it should be a "thank you" for showing it's okay to reach out.

As for the future, I think it's better (for the most part) to simply take things one day at a time, aside from some long term personal goals. Focus on what makes you happy at this very moment on this day, then the next day and so on. There is so many things outside of your control that can happen between now and a date in the future, both good and bad, nobody knows, life can be pretty random.

As for your brain, do you agree with it or do you know that deep down it is a lie? I've definitely had some negative thoughts in the past from my lying POS brain (heh) but I know that none of it is true, I don't know what you're going through right now but I'm sure you know deep down that it's a lie coming from a specific part of your brain, I'm sure your parents didn't hate you, any good parent simply wants their child to be okay and everything else is minor, I'm betting that it isn't true that nobody needs you around, I'm sure they'd be multiple people devastated at losing you and even some here that would be sad.

I am sorry about your current physical health and financial difficulties, I can't offer much advice there, I do hope things improve there too, I'm fairly lucky in that my own physical disability has remained consistent but I'm prepared for the future, I do hope you can find some comfort with your knee in the future, the body can be fragile but it can also be remarkably adaptable, honestly it can be sorta fragile and sturdy at the same time, it's pretty amazing and hopefully you'll find something to ease any (pain?) I imagine you're experiencing in your knee.

And hey, if there's no purpose in life, no big grand scheme, then have fun with it, do whatever makes you happy, the fact that we're here in the first place is pretty damn insane, remarkable, whatever word you want to use, we're pretty f*cking special, each one of us and we only get one life to live so don't miss out on anything you want to do, search for that purpose in living and do some crazy shit (within legal bounds, lol).

Also the fact that you're still alive right now shows that some part of you wants to be, whether you realise it or not, whether it's our natural instincts to stay alive or something more, you're still here despite a part of your brain feeding you these negative lies, you're still fighting because you're a strong person and we've all seen that, I have no doubt that you will get through this and manage to see some positivity in the world again, something to look forward to.

This was what I needed to be reminded of. Thanks so much!

I don't really have living family who communicate with me anymore, but there is someone I'm able to talk with a little at work, but not that deeply. (It's my former girlfriend.) I'm not very good at making friends anymore. I mean I can still find groups that I fit in with today, but they're all online niches and there's nobody local. I'm lonely. I definitely need to regain long-lost people skills beyond just reciting the pre-recorded messages my job requires me to regurgitate dozens of times a day.

Yes, I'm in physical pain and I have ways of addressing that, but I don't know if they're healthy, they're just the only solutions I know.

Anyway, the bottom line is, yes, I needed the reminder to focus on living one day at a time rather than focusing on the timeline. Sometimes it's tough when the little day-to-day joys I can get out of life seem so small in comparison to the challenges I've made for myself and others. I could use a little adventure, it's true. Something to take my mind off stuff. It's just when I get like this, nothing seems appealing anymore, you know? It all seems boring or like a chore. That's why maybe an adventure of some kind is the right answer; something I've always wanted to do but haven't gotten to. I'll have to think about that.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 11 January 2022

Mnementh said:

You use a Catra avatar, shouldn't that answer your question? Catra is in the show in a place, where nothing makes sense, where she feels like her life is pointless or worse damaging, like there is nothing for her than hurt feelings. She is accepting death, not caring anymore. Yet, she gets rescued, and although it is hard and involves a lot of hurt feelings, she finds a place there things are worth it. And that is independent of Adora, she finds that place in herself, if you look close enough.

I could even point to Shadow Weaver. All her life she only sought security by power through manipulating others. In the last minutes whe finds value and meaning in her life by helping her adopted children.

I personally had problems as a child. I was always an outsider, had no friends. Starting to become an adult was a horrifying outlook, how to find a place for myself. But surprisingly it worked all out. Not in an instant, it took years and things improved slow and gradually. The key was finding acceptance of myself. As a child I tried to shed being an outsider by trying to fit in. But becoming an adult I stopped that and started to find value within myself. Yes, I find still enough flaws with myself, but at the core I accepted who and what I am.

Start find the sides of yourself you love. Try not to judge yourself from the view of others, but strive to be your true self. And love that true self. Yes, we all have dark sides we hate, but embrace it. If you can, you can try to become better, but often it just is enough that you are a flawed human like everyone else. And that you can love yourself, with all your flaws. That all is slow and there are always dark days, but there is also always a tomorrow.

Yeah, I do things like that to try and help myself in as far as I can. I use Catra avatars a lot because she's a character I relate to a lot and I know how things turned out for her. Of course, that's a cartoon and not real life, but nonetheless it's me trying to remind myself to accept myself and believe that there is hope, and not just for others.

I went through some rough days in the past. I know how you feel.

I think a lot about good reasons to live. And I found out that the best reason to live is doing what you like the most. For example, I like VG Chartz, I like gaming, I like to write stories, watch a good movie, talk to people online, meet new friends...

Happiness can be found in simple things. Even finding a new series that you like to watch can help a lot to overcome sadness.

I almost gave up myself, but I knew it would be the worst thing to do. We here at VG Chartz are all young, we have much more life coming. And it won't be all bad moments. We have ups and downs.

Sorry, I'm not good at that. But if you want to talk to me, feel free.