By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - You cannot purchase a PlayStation this Holiday season

IcaroRibeiro said:
Zippy6 said:

Is Switch stock really that bad in other places? Normal Switch has been in stock most of the holiday season in UK and the OLED has been in stock many times too. Everytime someone says this I check amazon UK and yet again they're in stock.

Switch is in stock at £255 on Amazon, can get delivered on the 16th (below RRP)

Switch OLED is in stock at £305 on Amazon, can get delivered on the 16th (BELOW RRP)

Both are £5 less than the RRP so they're not even charging full price for them.

Just bizarre to me that the situation is so different in the UK apparently.

I'm from Brazil and I can't remember the last time Switch was out of stock here 

Series S was readily available for months, but since last month I couldn't find them anymore on Amazon

Series X and PS5 though... I've never saw any stock for them 

Never saw PS5 freely in stock, but the alerts I put on the app of like 5 stores have informed me of when there is stock (once I checked and it was still available), but I had already bought mine couple weeks before because I was in a group that monitor and informs of stock availability (and it truly works), like almost every week there is one missing PS5 over there available and like every couple months a big batch that you can "take your time" as it takes like over 2 hours for the stock to vanish.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This has less to do with PS5's supply changing. I highly doubt PS5 is missing any of Sony's upcoming shipment targets.

This has to do with the massive demand for PS5, which obviously grows during the holiday season and is spread globally. PS5 <500k in Nov NPDs......that's almost half of what PS4 shipment, and yet PS5 shipments will be on track or ahead of PS4.

The WW demand for PS5 is so big that Sony was willing to cut US shipment by half.

To make this even more obvious, just look at the second hand market prices. Looking at UK

PS5 has a 2x premium over XSX. Second hand PS5's can go for an outstanding £500 more than a second hand Series X. The demand for PS5 is simply far far bigger than any console at the moment.

I suspect that even a 23M FY may not be able to fulfill all the demand.

src said:

This has less to do with PS5's supply changing. I highly doubt PS5 is missing any of Sony's upcoming shipment targets.

This has to do with the massive demand for PS5, which obviously grows during the holiday season and is spread globally. PS5 <500k in Nov NPDs......that's almost half of what PS4 shipment, and yet PS5 shipments will be on track or ahead of PS4.

The WW demand for PS5 is so big that Sony was willing to cut US shipment by half.

To make this even more obvious, just look at the second hand market prices. Looking at UK

PS5 has a 2x premium over XSX. Second hand PS5's can go for an outstanding £500 more than a second hand Series X. The demand for PS5 is simply far far bigger than any console at the moment.

It's pointless to compare scalper prices, but the PS5 is not vastly more expensive than a XBox Series X for someone willing to throw money at a scalper.

NEW on Amazon

Playstation 5 Disc Version PS5 Gaming Console Included 1 Wireless Controller - 16GB GDDR6 Memory, 825GB SSD Storage, Ultra HD Blu-ray, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.1 + KP 8K HDMI Cable

FREE delivery: Dec 21 - 27
Fastest delivery: Dec 20 - 22
Arrives before Christmas

2020 Xbox Series X Gaming Console Bundle - 1TB SSD Black Xbox Console with Two Wireless Controllers -Black and White -and ahaghug Authorized HDMI Cable

Price: $1,190.00
FREE delivery: Wednesday, Dec 22
USED on Ebay

PS5 Sony PlayStation 5 Console Disc Version Brand New SEALED - READY TO SHIP

Condition:
New
Quantity:
2 available
Price:
US $779.99

Microsoft Xbox Series X 1TB Video Game Console - Black. Used. Adult user.

Condition:
Used
Price:
US $690.00

Most people can't. But anecdotally speaking, I know of several people IRL who were able to get a few from retailers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

Most people can't. But anecdotally speaking, I know of several people IRL who were able to get a few from retailers.

My sister was able to get a few over the last year. One she kept (or at least her husband did). The rest, she sold. At first she was only getting a hundred dollar profit until I told her they were selling for much more.

She would have gotten me one--I'd just have to pay her back. I told her to get me an Xbox first. It never worked out, though. Every time she'd get it in her cart, it would charge her card multiple times (she has a 10% discount) and still not give her the console. My Xbox Series will be here in about 12 days and I kinda wish I would have gone ahead and gotten a PlayStation when I had the opportunity!

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
src said:

It's pointless to compare scalper prices, but the PS5 is not vastly more expensive than a XBox Series X for someone willing to throw money at a scalper.

NEW on Amazon

Playstation 5 Disc Version PS5 Gaming Console Included 1 Wireless Controller - 16GB GDDR6 Memory, 825GB SSD Storage, Ultra HD Blu-ray, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.1 + KP 8K HDMI Cable

FREE delivery: Dec 21 - 27
Fastest delivery: Dec 20 - 22
Arrives before Christmas

2020 Xbox Series X Gaming Console Bundle - 1TB SSD Black Xbox Console with Two Wireless Controllers -Black and White -and ahaghug Authorized HDMI Cable

Price: $1,190.00
FREE delivery: Wednesday, Dec 22
USED on Ebay

PS5 Sony PlayStation 5 Console Disc Version Brand New SEALED - READY TO SHIP

Condition:
New
Quantity:
2 available
Price:
US $779.99

Microsoft Xbox Series X 1TB Video Game Console - Black. Used. Adult user.

Condition:
Used
Price:
US $690.00

You're only looking at individual listings. That's not how a market works, an order book of bids and asks is what you should be observing.

PS5 has twice the sales and a $100 price premium over Series X. PS5 is way more in demand.

If there is any bright side to this it's that when the PS5 is able to be supplied enough to satisfy demand it might have an absolutely massive holiday season in 2023 or 2024.

Last edited by Norion - on 15 December 2021

Norion said:

If there is any bright side to this it's that when the PS5 is able to be supplied enough to satisfy demand it might have an absolutely massive holiday season in 2023 or 2024.

There will be plenty that are willing to wait, but do you really think there aren't plenty also that will give up and buy an Xbox, Switch, gaming PC, or use the money on some other entertainment readily available?

Dulfite said:
Norion said:

There will be plenty that are willing to wait, but do you really think there aren't plenty also that will give up and buy an Xbox, Switch, gaming PC, or use the money on some other entertainment readily available?

You know shortly after I posted that I actually thought of that post you made about that lol. I do think the PS5 will be harmed in the long term by this to at least some extent from people giving up on getting one but so many people seem to want one that I expect the first holiday season they can satisfy demand to be really strong due to a large amount of people who didn't give up getting one at about the same time. A slim revision and perhaps a Pro one as well coming out the second half of 2023 will help too if that happens.

Last edited by Norion - on 15 December 2021

the-pi-guy said:
EricHiggin said:

Even if MS can't buy more wafer allocation:

MS can just notify TSMC that they want less XBSX wafers made, and more XBSS. This would allow MS to make way more (XBSS) dies overall.

MS very well may have already made that decision leading up to the holidays, to make sure they had as much stock available as possible.

Having XBSS be reasonably available on the shelves is better than having extreme limited availability for both XBSS and XBSX.

SNY can't do squat about PS5 chips because there is only one chip design. All they can try to do is buy more wafer allocation, if they can.

PS4 chips are made on a different node, so it doesn't impact PS5 chip production at all.

Not sure about the assembly line though. Less PS4's could mean more PS5's, maybe.

>PS4 chips are made on a different node, so it doesn't impact PS5 chip production at all.

To clarify, not due to the chips themselves, but costs. 

If you have a billion dollars to spend on chips, you might decide to prioritize spending that on the newer product.

A lot of different processes are suffering from shortages, not just TSMC's 7nm.

https://semiengineering.com/chip-shortages-grow-for-mature-nodes/

Yes. PS4(SS) on 7nm right now would've been a nightmare. SNY would almost certainly can PS4 for good and only make PS5 chips in that case.

I was focused mostly on PS5 since it's the new hot thing. If people will buy PS5's instead, SNY might as well focus on it over PS4 during this crisis.

PS4 chip production is also likely suffering, though you would think not near as much as PS5 since 16nm has been mature for a long time now.

Maybe if SNY was willing to give up some 16nm production, TSMC was able to give them a little more 7nm production in return perhaps?