By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - You cannot purchase a PlayStation this Holiday season

Leynos said:

That aged like a fine milk for Sega xD

Funny enough, I really wanted a PS2, but because we could never find one, my mom just got me a Dreamcast instead lol

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Chrkeller said:

I can't find a Series X at all here in the states. The Series S just isn't doing it for me, on paper, it doesn't seem like a big enough jump. I want the real deal, but it is looking like 2022 before I play Halo Infinite.

I own both, and I'd say that you're making a mistake.  The Series S plays Halo just as well as the X, minus the 4k resolution.  But, that is not a factor at all while in-game.  In a game like Halo, there's no time to think about the resolution (to say nothing of the fact that 4K is barely noticeable anyway unless you have a giant TV). Also, you can likely buy your Series S at retail right now, then sell it next year for a loss of only $50 or so when you're able to get a Series X.  During that year, you'll have been able to enjoy gaming at a much higher level than the 8th gen systems allow. 

Just the loading time improvement is worth the upgrade.  But, there's more than improved loading times.  Just get the Series S, dude.  You'll love it. 

In fact, I'd recommend it to anyone that hasn't been able to get a PS5 or Series X.  Buy the S, then sell it later (or keep it as a secondary console) when you're able to get your console of choice.  It takes the sting out of having to wait.  I haven't heard a single person regretting their purchase of an S.   

It is a fair point that I am giving strong consideration too.  But I'm backlogged on some ps5 games, so I'm not in a rush.  I figure I'll get a xbox next year, what is available is available.  I do worry about resolution because I game on a 65 inch TV.

leo-j said:

Unless you have Wario64 or some other insider on your Twitter notifications good luck buying a PlayStation. Despite the fact there is heavy demand for a ps5 it seems PlayStation sales are stunningly low. In fact if we look this may be Sony’s worst holiday season since the ps1 era. Even during the 2007 low ps3 sales Sony had healthy ps2 and psp sales pushing them over 1.5 million in sales for November. Some estimates suggest around 600kor less for November in the US for PlayStation which would mean the worst holiday period for them in a land slide.

A quick search on Amazon, and you can readily purchase a SWITCH OLED and an XBOX SERIES S. While PlayStation 5 and even PlayStation 4 are unavailable in every single major retailer. 

any info as to why Sony stopped selling ps4 (at least temporarily) ? You would assume they would at least push that considering they have horizon 2 and GT 7 coming out for PS4 shortly. 

Depends on where you are I guess?  Amazon isn't showing me any OLED models that would arrive in time for Christmas. 

Nintendo Switch – OLED Model w/ White Joy-Con

Price:$349.00
Fastest delivery: Dec 27 - 28
Arrives after Christmas.

Nintendo Switch – OLED Model w/ Neon Red & Neon Blue Joy-Con

Price:$349.99
FREE delivery: Jan 9 - 11 Details
Fastest delivery: Jan 3 - 5
Arrives after Christmas. 

It is quite surprising to see how disconnected the supply and demand for the PS5 are. It could have probably sold well above Wii levels if it had enough supply, but there is just not enough consoles around. The chip market is a mess.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

It is quite surprising to see how disconnected the supply and demand for the PS5 are. It could have probably sold well above Wii levels if it had enough supply, but there is just not enough consoles around. The chip market is a mess.

I think in the console market we've been shielded by how bad it is until now due to this being our first holiday after the pandemic without aging tech. GPU market has been a mess since May/June 2020, and now this November has been a real wakeup call. The Switch is managing for the most part to put out good numbers but the latest consoles that have large powerful chips are completely crippled.

They can supply enough to have decent sales in general weeks, but they've had no opportunity to stockpile units or ramp up production for the holiday season, meaning it's almost like the holidays don't exist at all.

The shipment numbers Sony give in just over a months time will be very important to see, how much they adjust their forecast by, and also in April what they forecast for 2022.

It's sad to see console sales damaged by something other than appeal. A console posting low numbers because it's bad is one thing, but consoles posting sub 400k weeks in December because of an ongoing supply issue with no firm end in sight is very disheartening.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I think in the console market we've been shielded by how bad it is until now due to this being our first holiday after the pandemic without aging tech. GPU market has been a mess since May/June 2020, and now this November has been a real wakeup call. The Switch is managing for the most part to put out good numbers but the latest consoles that have large powerful chips are completely crippled.

They can supply enough to have decent sales in general weeks, but they've had no opportunity to stockpile units or ramp up production for the holiday season, meaning it's almost like the holidays don't exist at all.

The shipment numbers Sony give in just over a months time will be very important to see, how much they adjust their forecast by, and also in April what they forecast for 2022.

It's sad to see console sales damaged by something other than appeal. A console posting low numbers because it's bad is one thing, but consoles posting sub 400k weeks in December because of an ongoing supply issue with no firm end in sight is very disheartening.

I wonder if it would have been wise for Sony and MS to have delayed their 9th gen releases. A 2021-2022 release may not have helped with the next gen's numbers, but it wouldn't have killed the PS4/XBOne sales. And besides, most things are still releasing on both current and last gen, so there wouldn't be that much of a software issue.

The Switch has really won the lottery ticket by being based on somewhat aged hardware. I imagine Nintendo is going to continue the Switch's lifespan for as long as this chip drought remains.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Zippy6 said:

I wonder if it would have been wise for Sony and MS to have delayed their 9th gen releases. A 2021-2022 release may not have helped with the next gen's numbers, but it wouldn't have killed the PS4/XBOne sales. And besides, most things are still releasing on both current and last gen, so there wouldn't be that much of a software issue.

The Switch has really won the lottery ticket by being based on somewhat aged hardware. I imagine Nintendo is going to continue the Switch's lifespan for as long as this chip drought remains.

I think mobile hardware in general has an advantage too, so Switch also has that going for it as well as the 16nm process thing. It has a much smaller chip than any of the other consoles meaning a lot easier to procure what they need to make it. Nintendo really is in the best position a console maker could be at this time.

I don't think the 9th gen consoles should have been delayed but they're going to have to weather the storm of this holiday season and hope by next holiday season they can get a lot more supply. Jan-Oct 2022 they should have really no issues posting good numbers because they're not expected to be posting close to 1m a week.

Zippy6 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I think mobile hardware in general has an advantage too, so Switch also has that going for it as well as the 16nm process thing. It has a much smaller chip than any of the other consoles meaning a lot easier to procure what they need to make it. Nintendo really is in the best position a console maker could be at this time.

I don't think the 9th gen consoles should have been delayed but they're going to have to weather the storm of this holiday season and hope by next holiday season they can get a lot more supply. Jan-Oct 2022 they should have really no issues posting good numbers because they're not expected to be posting close to 1m a week.

Tbh I don’t think Sony or Microsoft saw this major chip shortage last beyond a year. Otherwise I assume they would have delayed the products. Also Microsoft would have done anything to be ahead, I think they pushed Sony’s hand a bit on launching and announcing the ps5. Microsoft announced their platform well before Sony announced theirs. 

mM

Or Xbox Ones
Or Series X
Or Switch (regular or OLED)
Or basically any good GPU

Fuckingthingsucks.gif

LudicrousSpeed said:

Or Switch (regular or OLED)

Is Switch stock really that bad in other places? Normal Switch has been in stock most of the holiday season in UK and the OLED has been in stock many times too. Everytime someone says this I check amazon UK and yet again they're in stock.

Switch is in stock at £255 on Amazon, can get delivered on the 16th (below RRP)

Switch OLED is in stock at £305 on Amazon, can get delivered on the 16th (BELOW RRP)

Both are £5 less than the RRP so they're not even charging full price for them.

Just bizarre to me that the situation is so different in the UK apparently.