By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - You cannot purchase a PlayStation this Holiday season

Unless you have Wario64 or some other insider on your Twitter notifications good luck buying a PlayStation. Despite the fact there is heavy demand for a ps5 it seems PlayStation sales are stunningly low. In fact if we look this may be Sony’s worst holiday season since the ps1 era. Even during the 2007 low ps3 sales Sony had healthy ps2 and psp sales pushing them over 1.5 million in sales for November. Some estimates suggest around 600kor less for November in the US for PlayStation which would mean the worst holiday period for them in a land slide.

A quick search on Amazon, and you can readily purchase a SWITCH OLED and an XBOX SERIES S. While PlayStation 5 and even PlayStation 4 are unavailable in every single major retailer. 

any info as to why Sony stopped selling ps4 (at least temporarily) ? You would assume they would at least push that considering they have horizon 2 and GT 7 coming out for PS4 shortly. 

mM
Around the Network

Try me!

No clue. XBox One X and S are also no longer available. To make more Gen 9 consoles I guess.

PS4 slim should still be in production, also hit with shortages?

It is weird that they are releasing GT7/Horizon 2/GoW2 all on PS4 but at the same time aren't making PS4's at all.

I haven't seen a new PS4 in stock in the UK for many many weeks, I guess they are just having to throw everything at PS5 production. But I don't know.

PS4 could sell more if they actually shipped more I'm sure of that.

Though story is same for Xbox One, you can't find them in the UK anymore either.

Something happened from their between their last quarterly earnings Jul-Sep reported October 28th to today.

Around the Network

> any info as to why Sony stopped selling ps4 (at least temporarily) ?

Every PS4 manufactured at this point is basically wasted silicon. You don’t want your customers investing significant income on a platform you plan to end support for in a years time.

This is not like 2014, Sony has to be more selective with how it allocates manufacturing resources

SvennoJ said:

No clue. XBox One X and S are also no longer available. To make more Gen 9 consoles I guess.

True for Xbox but they are selling Xbox series S in place of the last gen consoles. Sony doesn’t seem to be able to produce ps5s. At least no where near the level of switch and Xbox series. 

mM
leo-j said:
SvennoJ said:

True for Xbox but they are selling Xbox series S in place of the last gen consoles. Sony doesn’t seem to be able to produce ps5s. At least no where near the level of switch and Xbox series. 

Isn't Sony still outselling XBox by quite a margin? Or did something change?

SvennoJ said:
leo-j said:

Not in November. Sony stock seems to have barely lifted for the month due to production issues. While Xbox series S saw a significant up tick. The point isn’t Xbox, the point is they used to produce millions of consoles in November with ps4 and ps3/psp and are barely doing over half a million .

mM
leo-j said:
SvennoJ said:

Not in November. Sony stock seems to have barely lifted for the month due to production issues. While Xbox series S saw a significant up tick. The point isn’t Xbox, the point is they used to produce millions of consoles in November with ps4 and ps3/psp and are barely doing over half a million .

I mean this is nothing new, we've known about the situation forever.

The GPU market has literally been dead for coming up to 2 years now.