By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - You cannot purchase a PlayStation this Holiday season

Dulfite said:
Norion said:

If there is any bright side to this it's that when the PS5 is able to be supplied enough to satisfy demand it might have an absolutely massive holiday season in 2023 or 2024.

There will be plenty that are willing to wait, but do you really think there aren't plenty also that will give up and buy an Xbox, Switch, gaming PC, or use the money on some other entertainment readily available?

The reason I bought a Dreamcast was because i couldn't find a PS2 and the reason I bought an Xbox 360 (aside from having both PS1 and PS2 fail on me) was because I couldn't buy a PS3. People get tired of coming home empty handed! And in both cases, I LOVED the console I wound up buying.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Dulfite said:

There will be plenty that are willing to wait, but do you really think there aren't plenty also that will give up and buy an Xbox, Switch, gaming PC, or use the money on some other entertainment readily available?

The reason I bought a Dreamcast was because i couldn't find a PS2 and the reason I bought an Xbox 360 (aside from having both PS1 and PS2 fail on me) was because I couldn't buy a PS3. People get tired of coming home empty handed! And in both cases, I LOVED the console I wound up buying.

Yep. Many "hardcore gamers", the kind that come to this site, watch Video Game Awards/E3, etc. Are willing to wait. But there are tens of millions of casual buyers each generation, or parents that just want something to give their kids for this holiday, that don't have that kind of patience. And this works against everybody.

I remember in 2006, people were scrambling everywhere to find a Wii. I'm sure it, too, lost a decent amount of sales to other forms of entertainment or consoles that were available.

src said:

PS5 has a 2x premium over XSX. Second hand PS5's can go for an outstanding £500 more than a second hand Series X. The demand for PS5 is simply far far bigger than any console at the moment.

src said:

You're only looking at individual listings. That's not how a market works, an order book of bids and asks is what you should be observing.

PS5 has twice the sales and a $100 price premium over Series X. PS5 is way more in demand.

Um.. you just reduced your original claim of PS5 have a 2x premium over XBox Series X, to agreeing with what I showed of them only being $100 apart.

Norion said:
Dulfite said:

You know shortly after I posted that I actually thought of that post you made about that lol. I do think the PS5 will be harmed in the long term by this to at least some extent from people giving up on getting one but so many people seem to want one that I expect the first holiday season they can satisfy demand to be really strong due to a large amount of people who didn't give up getting one at about the same time. A slim revision and perhaps a Pro one as well coming out the second half of 2023 will help too if that happens.

And if they have shortages like vanilla ps5 too?

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 16 December 2021

HoangNhatAnh said:
Norion said:

You know shortly after I posted that I actually thought of that post you made about that lol. I do think the PS5 will be harmed in the long term by this to at least some extent from people giving up on getting one but so many people seem to want one that I expect the first holiday season they can satisfy demand to be really strong due to a large amount of people who didn't give up getting one at about the same time. A slim revision and perhaps a Pro one as well coming out the second half of 2023 will help too if that happens.

And if they haqve shortages like vanilla ps5 too?

By the second half of 2023 the chip shortage situation if not fully resolved yet will at least be way better than it is right now so even if a 2023 PS5 revision can't fully satisfy demand at launch it should get way closer than the PS5 has been able to since launch.

Around the Network

I am omay with that. Got alot of games to play in the meanwhile

Dulfite said:
Norion said:

If there is any bright side to this it's that when the PS5 is able to be supplied enough to satisfy demand it might have an absolutely massive holiday season in 2023 or 2024.

I wonder how many are just getting other consoles instead of waiting. I don't think that many are buying a Switch because of lack of PS5s, their libraries are too different (fed up parents tired of searching for a PS5 would absolutely buy a Switch for their kids, though). But I can see the XBox XS selling better because of it. Maybe it could even help closing the gap between the two in Europe if the chip drowght really persists beyond 2022.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Mandalore76 said:
src said:

PS5 has a 2x premium over XSX. Second hand PS5's can go for an outstanding £500 more than a second hand Series X. The demand for PS5 is simply far far bigger than any console at the moment.

src said:

You're only looking at individual listings. That's not how a market works, an order book of bids and asks is what you should be observing.

PS5 has twice the sales and a $100 price premium over Series X. PS5 is way more in demand.

Um.. you just reduced your original claim of PS5 have a 2x premium over XBox Series X, to agreeing with what I showed of them only being $100 apart.

You're misunderstanding. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

Average PS5 sells $100 more, has an almost 20% price premium over Xbox.

Top of the asks PS5 is 2x more than Xbox. Bid/asks are a distribution.

As you see, PS5 (includes bundles) is being placed for almost £1400. The distribution of bid/asks leads to many insights. Asks distribution shows the confidence of sellers while bid distribution shows demand of buyers. Where they meet is what is sold.

TLDR: PS5 can be listed 2x over Xbox and is sold on average $100 over Xbox.

Darwinianevolution said:
Dulfite said:

I wonder how many are just getting other consoles instead of waiting. I don't think that many are buying a Switch because of lack of PS5s, their libraries are too different (fed up parents tired of searching for a PS5 would absolutely buy a Switch for their kids, though). But I can see the XBox XS selling better because of it. Maybe it could even help closing the gap between the two in Europe if the chip drowght really persists beyond 2022.

Around the holidays, I'd imagine a huge chunk of people buying consoles are parents. So that could be a tremendous loss of sales for companies with shortages of this extent.

There's really nothing to suggest PS5 is losing sales (i.e people waiting for PS5's have chosen to never get a PS5 in the future) due to low stock.
Its selling faster than the PS4, next FY if Sony's prediction is true, is going to sell more than the PS4 ever did, 20% more than the PS4 in 3rd FY and is still dominating Xbox 2:1 WW.