By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

35: Star Ocean 3?

Yes

I need to get around to replaying that at some point. It was on my list some years back, but eventually dropped off. Part of that might just be because I haven't played it in about 15 years now, so I've forgotten a lot of it.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Farsala said:

Yes

I need to get around to replaying that at some point. It was on my list some years back, but eventually dropped off. Part of that might just be because I haven't played it in about 15 years now, so I've forgotten a lot of it.

Me too. And despite the bad news about the newest ones, I definitely want to try them. If Star Ocean 6 got the support of SE as much as Tales of Arise or FF7 Remaster, I think it would be a great game.

Farsala said:

Last hint for #34

34 Yet another JRPG, this time featuring a franchise that wasn't really that popular until this entry.

When this game released, a lot of people enjoyed this game simply due to its distinct style, but the story has depth within the social climate.

A lot like Digimon World 2, there is a fusion system. Fusing 2 strong things together naturally makes a stronger 1 thing.

That must be either SMT or it's spinoff Persona with demon fusing. Not sure which one though. Let's go with Persona, that would it make Persona 4, as I think that's the one that made it go popular.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Another clue:

38. a)  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.
b) This was the first game to give credit to a developer, although the credit had to be put in a hidden room.

38. Ultima?

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

I feel like I should know 35, but just can't think of an answer.

34:Tales of Symphonia maybe.

34 Not correct.

35 You might have on your list, not sure yet.

coolbeans said:

Hmm... I'll have to think about 35 & 33.  I'll change 36 to Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.

36 is not correct.

2nd round of hints for the 3 left.

36 Mario never felt so fluid until now. Go anywhere!

By anywhere I mean like up, down, left, right. As well as the direction of the game, you can choose which worlds to enter from a main hub.

35 Sci fi Fantasy but not Final Fantasy. Main character is dressed like he is going to beach every day, even in colder climates.

You can participate in the trades like Cooking, Alchemy, Engineering and Smithing. Some Characters are better than others at these things.

34 Yet another JRPG, this time featuring a franchise that wasn't really that popular until this entry.

When this game released, a lot of people enjoyed this game simply due to its distinct style, but the story has depth within the social climate.

36 Super Mario 64, but S.Peelman came first

35 Ys VIII?

Eric2048 said:

#39 This Is the first game in this franchise which will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary next year.

#38 This PS1 title received a remake in 2019 which added new characters and new Tracks to race on.

#37 Is the second game in this PS2 franchise. It allowed you take control of two other characters. The level structure was also changed up from the previous game.

#36  This Sequel introduced new features and improvements that would become staples in this franchise. One being the ability to level up weapons and health by deafeating enemies

#35 This Rpg originally released for the NES allowed you to recruit up to three other characters to join you in your quest to defeat a demon lord.

#35 Dragon Quest II, maybe?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

Hint 4: I doubt more than a few people on here have played this, so I'll give the biggest hint I can: It has 2 in the title

34) Too zolt

Hint 2: Rorrim

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

31) This game is extremely beloved despite being rushed. Personally I think it shows, but it's still tons of fun.

30) First game in the series to have DLC, some of it had people ecstatic and some of it less so.

40) Tales of Xilia 2

34 ) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

32) Mega Man Zero

31) Gonna go wild here: It's that Nintendo jump rope game that they pushed out in the beginning of the pandemic just because.

S.Peelman said:

Time for new hints, #31 hasn’t been guessed yet, so the third hint may be of interest to @GoOnKid (Ride 3 or 4 was incorrect) or @Farsala . Also first hint for #30.

#32: Chose one of three families, naturally one goes west over the mountains, the next goes east towards islands and ancient lands, and the third goes across the sea to the desert and fertile shores.

Hint 2: Even though each of these three families are the driving force behind the expansion of this empire, or republic actually, you all still answer to a central government that owns the capital.

Hint 3: At some point however, you'll want everything for yourself, and you'll start a big war to conquer all the areas of the other two families and, finally, the capital itself to become the first emperor. Guessed by Farsala - Rome: Total War

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

Hint 3: You could however only create something for the ‘Supercross’ mode, not the ‘National’, ‘Baya’ or ‘Stunt Quarry’ modes. Which was too bad because ‘National’ was awesome.

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

#31 Yeah, I'm out.

#34: The Walking Dead: Season Two

Just like the first season season 2 festures excellent writing and great characters that then die in horrific ways which leads to you regretting your choices. It was incredibly close, but I like season 2 more because of the ending, the last important decision where only 10% decided like I did. That was imo the right choice and lead to an ending that made me cry like I never did before.

Incredible.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Farsala said:

Last hint for #34

A lot like Digimon World 2, there is a fusion system. Fusing 2 strong things together naturally makes a stronger 1 thing.

That must be either SMT or it's spinoff Persona with demon fusing. Not sure which one though. Let's go with Persona, that would it make Persona 4, as I think that's the one that made it go popular.

Persona is right. But it is Persona 5.

Guess I was wrong in thinking Persona 5 was the tipping point, when one person says Persona 3, and another says Persona 4.

GoOnKid said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Another clue:

38. a)  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.
b) This was the first game to give credit to a developer, although the credit had to be put in a hidden room.

38. Ultima?

Farsala said:

34 Not correct.

35 You might have on your list, not sure yet.

coolbeans said:

Hmm... I'll have to think about 35 & 33.  I'll change 36 to Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.

36 is not correct.

2nd round of hints for the 3 left.

36 Mario never felt so fluid until now. Go anywhere!

By anywhere I mean like up, down, left, right. As well as the direction of the game, you can choose which worlds to enter from a main hub.

35 Sci fi Fantasy but not Final Fantasy. Main character is dressed like he is going to beach every day, even in colder climates.

You can participate in the trades like Cooking, Alchemy, Engineering and Smithing. Some Characters are better than others at these things.

36 Super Mario 64, but S.Peelman came first

35 Ys VIII?

Eric2048 said:

#39 This Is the first game in this franchise which will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary next year.

#38 This PS1 title received a remake in 2019 which added new characters and new Tracks to race on.

#37 Is the second game in this PS2 franchise. It allowed you take control of two other characters. The level structure was also changed up from the previous game.

#36  This Sequel introduced new features and improvements that would become staples in this franchise. One being the ability to level up weapons and health by deafeating enemies

#35 This Rpg originally released for the NES allowed you to recruit up to three other characters to join you in your quest to defeat a demon lord.

#35 Dragon Quest II, 

#35 no, but very very close. It's Dragon Quest 3

More hints:
#33: A certain kind of sand is very tasty for this particular creature.

#32: Ironic how the villain sealed his doom right at the start of the game by accidentally saving you.

Machina said:
Darashiva said:

Alright, a new set of hints for the next five games.

• Mountain on the horizon

• The Core and the Arm

• The main character is now an instructor at a military school

• Deviating from the course of destiny

• The origin of the dragon and the mad dog

#29 - I'm thinking Total Annihilation because those are the names of the two factions in that (one of my absolute favourite games). But it could be something much more obvious - Armored Core lol

#28 - Valkyria Chronicles maybe? 

29 is indeed Total Annihilation. 28 is wrong though.

GoOnKid said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

Hint 4: I doubt more than a few people on here have played this, so I'll give the biggest hint I can: It has 2 in the title

34) Too zolt

Hint 2: Rorrim

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

31) This game is extremely beloved despite being rushed. Personally I think it shows, but it's still tons of fun.

30) First game in the series to have DLC, some of it had people ecstatic and some of it less so.

40) Tales of Xilia 2

34 ) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

32) Mega Man Zero

31) Gonna go wild here: It's that Nintendo jump rope game that they pushed out in the beginning of the pandemic just because.

40) And there it is! And all it took was 4 hints and a lot of days :D

34) Correct!

32) Not it no

31) Nice guess. Completely wrong, but nice.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat