By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

GoOnKid said:
Kakadu18 said:

I have no idea.

If it was Yoshi, which game could it be then?

Yoshi's Wooly World I think.

Around the Network

Guessed by Farsala

Usually when people think about SEGA, they think about Sonic the Hedgehog. Or maybe Yakuza, or maybe even something like Ecco the Dolphin. The Total War franchise usually isn't something people think about. And that's a shame. I get it, this series isn't made in-house like the others and isn't on consoles, but is instead made by a British developer for PC. I'd say though, this is easily SEGA's best series. The series has quite a number of games already, and I've put multiple in my list over the years.

This year I felt it was 'Medieval II's' turn. This is actually one of the better ones, maybe even objectively the best, but I never really thought to put it on the list over others for inexplicable reasons. Maybe it's because it took a while before I could appreciate the period. As a kid, I liked knights and castles, because what kid doesn't, here in Europe anyway, we have a castle on every street corner, but the political side of that era is hard to get into. And there's so much to it, because there's a billion countries and royal families here as well. Especially back in timeframe the game is set in. On the contrary 'Rome' is easy to love, a singular all-powerful nation conquering everything in its path. So is the era of 'Empire', because it's partly about my own country's history. This game however, is a great intro to an era that's actually extremely interesting.

Kakadu18 said:

More hints:
#33: A certain kind of sand is very tasty for this particular creature.

#32: Ironic how the villain sealed his doom right at the start of the game by accidentally saving you.

#33: Dune

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#32 was guessed. #31 isn't yet, and I'll give another hint for it. I won't for #30 yet, but I'll give a first hint for #29.

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

Hint 3: You could however only create something for the ‘Supercross’ mode, not the ‘National’, ‘Baya’ or ‘Stunt Quarry’ modes. Which was too bad because ‘National’ was awesome.

Hint 4: In the National mode you ride your dirt bike outdoors, over huge jumps and really banked corners. Also fun is the Stunt Quarry, but really just for one thing; when you up the cliff surrounding the map, you'll get slingshotted across the map to keep you from going out of bounds, accompanied by the sound of a gunshot. Guessed by coolbeans - Motocross Madness

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

#29: First there was an evil sword that changes appearance depending on its wielder, but in this game, there's a spirit sword made to combat it. Guessed by GoOnKid - SoulCalibur

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 29 November 2021

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

Hint 3: You could however only create something for the ‘Supercross’ mode, not the ‘National’, ‘Baya’ or ‘Stunt Quarry’ modes. Which was too bad because ‘National’ was awesome.

Hint 4: In the National mode you ride your dirt bike outdoors, over huge jumps and really banked corners. Also fun is the Stunt Quarry, but really just for one thing; when you up the cliff surrounding the map, you'll get slingshotted across the map to keep you from going out of bounds, accompanied by the sound of a gunshot.

it.

Motorcross Madness

Yes!

The map editor hint proved cryptic, but I guess the slingshot hint did it.

Around the Network
#35 Armello
guessed by Darashiva
platform Linux/Switch
release year 2015
developer/publisher League of Geeks
genre turn-based board game
links Wikipedia
past years 2020: #31, 2019: #31, 2018: #37

Armello is a nice little indie surprise. In it's core it is a board game which look like it could work without a computer at all. But with a computer it is all a lot nicer. You move your figure over the hex-tiled randomly generated map of the kingdom and try to solve quests, defeat banes and your competitors, find gold and useful items and ultimately challenge the king.

The plot is simple: the king is corrupted by the rot and four clans compete to take over the crown. There are four ways to win: cleanse the rot with spirit stones, become corrupted by rot yourself but stronger than the king and defeat him in a rot duel (this is actually quite challenging because of the rules for rot), defeat the king in a normal fight or if none of the players manages one of the above conditions until the king dies, the player with the highest prestige wins.

The game is quite challenging, you often have to think about the best course of action. Also everything is pretty well tuned, every card, every quest, everything matters, it is not that you can concentrate on one thing as it outshines everything else.

The game is out on pretty much every platform. It also has gotten some DLC extensions, which expand the fun. Give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIV8Hwy4n0

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 November 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Some more games to guess:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised?

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank.

#29: The rooster of war!

Mnementh said:
Kakadu18 said:

More hints:
#33: A certain kind of sand is very tasty for this particular creature.

#32: Ironic how the villain sealed his doom right at the start of the game by accidentally saving you.

#33: Dune

No. Didn't even know they made a Dune game.

Check out the second hint.

Here are some hints for my next few games:

36.  It appears that a lot of people have been leaving WoW this year to play this MMO.

35.  This SNES entry is more like the arcade version than the NES entry was.

34.  This first game in the series was based on a classical piece of literature but not European literature.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some hints for my next few games:

36.  It appears that a lot of people have been leaving WoW this year to play this MMO.

35.  This SNES entry is more like the arcade version than the NES entry was.

34.  This first game in the series was based on a classical piece of literature but not European literature.

#36: Final Fantasy XIV

#34: Romance of the Three Kingdoms