By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Supermario28 said:
Mnementh said:

Saying a character of the game is in Smash, is a non-hint at this point, as everyone is here!

Supermario28 said:
Hint 1: This game released on two consoles. The two releases were 7 years apart and the latest release saw some levels and features added. The franchise got a spin-off recently
Hint 2: It's a real-time strategy game

Wait, that is Pikmin! I have a hard time deciding which one, as both the first and the third got a rerelease 7 years later on the next console. I go out on a limb and say you mean Pikmin 3, as this got all the DLC levels, while New Play Control on the Wii only added Wiimote support and some other features, but as far as I remember not new levels.

YES! Pikmin 3, good thinking! I didn't really realize the hint suited the first Pikmin too!

Yeah. I even looked which game got it's rerelease seven years later to decide which one you mean. But as it turns out... both rereleases were 7 years later. So I thought about your hint explicitly mentioning new levels. Although I am not sure if Pikmin 3 Deluxe added anything beyond what was initially in the DLC, but at least these are new levels compared to vanilla.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Kakadu18 said:

#46: New Super Mario Bros. U

Ding Ding ding! Correct! 

coolbeans said:

Watch Dogs: Legion (?)

Sorry, but no. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:

49) Pokémon Sword and Shield right?

43) Red Dead Redemption?

49 - Yep! Dexit sucked! (I personally liked it)

43 - also Yep! So sad. I figured it was either this or GTA San Andreas.

Supermario28 said:

46. Super Mario Odyssey?

45. I'm feeling bold today, guessing games I never played: Nier Automata?

46 - Already guessed as New Super Mario Bros. U

45 - Nope! Good guess, but I've not actually played that one yet! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

You all really need to step up your guesses. With King's Bounty II also staying unguessed, the unguessed games are threatening to outnumber the guessed ones.

#41: The newest entry in this long-running franchise adds a lot of mobility. This includes more verticality, which also is reflected in the name. Guessed by Supermario28.

#40: Eat PCB (printed curcuit board). You play an orange blob in this old puzzle game. Despite being an clone of the gameplay of Boulder Dash, I like this one more than the original. Collect all Infotrons and find the exits without dying.

#39: The "first part of the name of the game" Project is an independent global scientific organization, formerly a secret branch of the United Nations, dedicated to studying threats to humankind. It was founded in 1945, but was preceded by a number of other organizations, such as the Committee for the Study and Prevention of Species-Level Threats (Soviet Union, 1918-1927) and the "first part of the name of the game" Working Group (United States, 1935-1945). As the world is in peril by the mutating Pandoravirus, this organization rises from the ashes to protect the remaining survivors. This turn-based tactics is the spiritual successor of a 90s game, both created by the same guy.

#38: Turn-based or real-time? I can't decide in this fourth entry in the series. Fight in a war on a fictive continent which looks a lot like europe. Guessed by Zippy6.

#37: Red haired guy meets blue haired girl in his dreams. Guessed by Kakadu18.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 November 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Zippy6 said:

People say it has aged very badly, I played origins for the first time this year though and managed to enjoy it despite it's age. Like all bioware RPG's I'm mainly there for the characters. I'm not sure I can say it's a game that everyone will enjoy, especially in 2021, but if you love RPG's it's worth giving a chance.

My backlog is immense though, I haven't played the Awakening expansion for this game, never played Dragon Age 2 and haven't played Mass Effect 2/3 either. So I can't even compare origins to most of bioware's other work.

What I would say is that despite this game releasing 2 years after Mass Effect if I didn't know that I'd assume Dragon Age released prior, it feels like an older title.

As I play older games, even ones I didn't play before sometimes 20/30 years after they released originally, I think I have no problem in this regard. I often care less about great graphics. On the contrary, I sometimes feel in this day and age developers rely too much on shiny graphics and forget deep engaging gameplay and also a soul to their games. Therefore I have no problem playing game with aged graphics, as long as it offers other qualities.

My problems with older games usually are less to do with graphics and more to do with user interface. New games are streamlined and easy to understand, old games are clunky and hard to navigate. This only really applies to RPG's and Strategy games.

is #38 Valkyria Chronicles?

Zippy6 said:
Mnementh said:

As I play older games, even ones I didn't play before sometimes 20/30 years after they released originally, I think I have no problem in this regard. I often care less about great graphics. On the contrary, I sometimes feel in this day and age developers rely too much on shiny graphics and forget deep engaging gameplay and also a soul to their games. Therefore I have no problem playing game with aged graphics, as long as it offers other qualities.

My problems with older games usually are less to do with graphics and more to do with user interface. New games are streamlined and easy to understand, old games are clunky and hard to navigate. This only really applies to RPG's and Strategy games.

is #38 Valkyria Chronicles?

Yeah, controls are also a thing. I am not adverse to remasters adding quality of life improvements. But despite all that, older games can have qualities I miss in many newer games. A certain soul. You can feel if a developer pours it heart into it or if it is just a by the numbers sequel to make money. As the industry got more professional and more popular so more money can be made we got more of the second variety, but thankfully still devs exist that create the first category of games.

And yes, #38 is Valkyria Chronicles, VC4 specifically (as I put in the hint).

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

Uncharted?

No. That's interesting that Uncharted has that, I never knew that before.

#40 - The protagonist has a notebook and draws just about everything that happens in the game, from major events to random things.
Hint 2 - The game has a Guitar Hero-like rhythm minigame where you play the bass.

Oh, is it Night in the Woods?

Supermario28 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

41) Get to the top of the mountain.

39) Despite being released in the same year its console was replaced, it might be the game people most associate with it

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series

41. Pretty sure it's Celeste

39. Going out on a limb here: The last of us part 2?

37.. Still taking a wild guess: Zelda Skyward Sword?

Runa216 said:

46 - This latest entry in a long-running series is a prime example of good platforming game design, but some people find it stale. I think it's possibly the best designed entry into its series (not my fave, though.)
45 - Witty woman goes in, homocidal psycho robot comes out.

46. Super Mario Odyssey?

45. I'm feeling bold today, guessing games I never played: Nier Automata?

People find Super Mario Odyssey stale?

Mnementh said:

You all really need to step up your guesses. With King's Bounty II also staying unguessed, the unguessed games are threatening to outnumber the guessed ones.

#41: The newest entry in this long-running franchise adds a lot of mobility. This includes more verticality, which also is reflected in the name. Guessed by Supermario28.

#40: Eat PCB (printed curcuit board). You play an orange blob in this old puzzle game. Despite being an clone of the gameplay of Boulder Dash, I like this one more than the original. Collect all Infotrons and find the exits without dying.

#39: The "first part of the name of the game" Project is an independent global scientific organization, formerly a secret branch of the United Nations, dedicated to studying threats to humankind. It was founded in 1945, but was preceded by a number of other organizations, such as the Committee for the Study and Prevention of Species-Level Threats (Soviet Union, 1918-1927) and the "first part of the name of the game" Working Group (United States, 1935-1945). As the world is in peril by the mutating Pandoravirus, this organization rises from the ashes to protect the remaining survivors. This turn-based tactics is the spiritual successor of a 90s game, both created by the same guy.

#38: Turn-based or real-time? I can't decide in this fourth entry in the series. Fight in a war on a fictive continent which looks a lot like europe. Guessed by Zippy6.

#37: Red haired guy meets blue haired girl in his dreams.

#37: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Kakadu18 said:People find Super Mario Odyssey stale?
I'm not a native english speaker so I looked up the meaning of stale just now.
Thought it meant boring. Since some friends of mine got bored of catching all the moons, it fit. My bad.

Finally, I finished my list. I struggled so hard this time because there were a few newcomers that shook everything up. Also, I looked at my list from last year and thought, well, this doesn't represent how I feel about it today, even though all games on that list are superb and deserve their spot. But still, I wanted to display my favorite games from my point of view as it is now, on this very day. You and I know that such lists are subjective and oftentimes depend on the current mood or situation. In these last weeks and months I've been playing many so called B tier games, or even C tier, and I did find so much beauty in them that I just had to integrate a few of in some way or form. So, my list is very different this time in comparison to last year. Some highlights are completely missing, some gained a few spots, others fell quite a bit.

I already missed the first ten days of discussions and guessing, but I would really like to join you guys. Here goes nothing.

50 - We're fighting for the last time with the Beam Katana as this series supposedly came to an end.

49 - Here, girlfriend, eat this foul, smelly chunk of raw meat that I've cut out from a giant monster for you.

48 - Furries in space, but with on-foot missions.

47 - The chronological beginning of a long lasting series about a family feud against the count of darkness.

46 - It's a mech game that came out on a very hot platform and eventually received a port for PC. This game opened up a the E³ 2018 presentation of one certain platform holder.

45 - Blue Bomber can now slow down and speed up time.

44 - A lightgun shooter that plays in various loations, one of which is a well-known zombie-infected city that may or may not get nuked eventually.

43 - Cybercop twins that use wild beasts on leashes as partners in battle

42 - It's a Sakaguchi game that is not Final Fantasy, even though the title is very familiar.

41 - Camping, Curry, cuddling, collecting, competitions... and hooligans.

40 - The first game about the Maverick Wars.

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 21 November 2021