By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

# 49 - Guardian Heroes - Xbox 360

Amazing beat em up, a highly replayable game due to the branching story paths that gives you different stages to play with, satisfying movesets with multiple characters and tight controls, a glorious soundtrack, and that distinct, over the top Treasure Inc. charm, replayed another route recently, is a game I feel will climb the ranking more after I do more endings. 

# 48 - Ys Origin - PC / Switch

The best Ys game, while not as strategic as SNES V in terms of combat, is the most polished version of the simple, fast paced system between this, VI and III's remake, I like the focus on moving forward from level to level thanks to the setting of the tower, while still keeping the moments of explorations for equipment and upgrades, is pretty much a no fluff game, the soundtrack is stellar, the challenge is tight, and a very fun time on hard mode too. Can't talk much about the multiple characters since my 3 playthroughs with this game have only been with Yunica, but I'll say it also has the best interpretation of the usual, simple Ys tale from Adol, is the better Ys story without falling into drawn out dialogues and cutscenes that interrupt the pacing of what make 0 - VI a simple, yet incredibly fun series of action RPG games unlike Seven. Just as a whole a fantastic game.

# 47 - Viewtiful Joe - Nintendo Gamecube

Viewtiful Joe is a game that I have a nice history with, as a kid it absolutely wrecked me with its difficulty, and it was only after many years that I was able to overcome Stage 6 and finally was able to finish it, definitely one of the moments that I felt the most accomplished with a game, I love the movie setting and how that ties into the gameplay systems, contextualizing the fact that you can slow-mo, up the speed or zoom-in because you are playing out the movie, it both gives the game a stunning visual style, and a unique gameplay system, the beat em up itself is amazing, and it also has a nice story to tie it all together. Is a game that I'm in the mood to replay it, since I feel it will probably go a lot higher on my top after that.

*Viewtiful Joe 2 *Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

I honestly think all 3 Viewtiful Joe games are really amazing, I don't think I can choose a clear favorite, so there goes some asterisks.

Around the Network

Second set of hints for three games not yet guessed.

• Set in Phantasma.
  • The main character is a knight of the church.

• A Thousand Years of Dreams.
  • An amnesiac immortal.

• The 5th best game of 2017 (if we go by western release dates).
  • An open-world game that in many ways takes after the first entry in the series.

mZuzek said:

#41 - Instead of walking up the stairs to the left before the boss, in this game you go up the stairs to the right.

This is a Castlevania probably. I'm not familiar enough, and especially not with any on GBA or newer, I don't even know if there's still stairs on any of them but, I do know that in at least all the classic ones up to Super Castlevania (hail the NES and SNES Classic) have the last stairs going to the left so it's Symphony of the Night, Bloodlines or Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss/insert your region's name here. I'm not sure which way those go though.

I'll go with the biggest one; Symphony of the Night.

Darashiva said:

• An open-world game that in many ways takes after the first entry in the series.

Breath of the Wild. Even though there's like no way there's really four better games in 2017.

EDIT: Page broke again from Kakadu's post onward by the way, we're all part of Kakadu's post now.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 20 November 2021

S.Peelman said:
Darashiva said:

Breath of the Wild. Even though there's like no way there's really four better games in 2017.

Correct. Obviously, I'm just going by my list, and I've got 4 games from 2017 still coming up later, including two other open world games.

Darashiva said:
S.Peelman said:

Correct. Obviously, I'm just going by my list, and I've got 4 games from 2017 still coming up later, including two other open world games.

And here I was misinterpreting your hint to be specifically about Persona 5, and thought how could you rate it so low. Maybe it will show up later :).

Around the Network
#43Dragon Quest Builders
guessed byZippy6
platformSwitch
release year2016
developer/publisherSquare Enix
genresandbox
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #35, 2019: #34, 2018: #18

At cursory look this games seems like Minecraft with a Dragon Quest paint. And that actually isn't that wrong. So initially I thought this game wouldn't be for me, because I never got warm with Minecraft in the first place. But DQB had a free demo on the eShop, and so I thought: why not, give it a try. A few hours later I hit the end of the demo and was surprised, as I had totally forgotten I only played the demo. I wanted to play on, but the game was still some time away from release, so I was awaiting the game eagerly.

What did it make work so much better than Minecraft for me? Well, basically simple things. Quests from the townspeople and the gratifying feeling then you have fulfilled it and townspeople come running and gather around you in a circle and clap their hands, because you built a sleeping room or whatever. Building feels with a purpose, as the game recognizes structures with some basic rules and counts them towards you village score and shows it to you with visual and acoustic feedback. Many buildings enticed also the people to do something, like in a kitchen the villagers started coooking or in a workshop building simple stuff. This was helpful for you. And some basic story with big boss fights that involve building stuff to fight them. These are simple changes on the surface, but they give building a purpose and that makes all the difference.

This game was fun and a good creative experience, because while you follow rules to create buildings, these rules are loose and give you much room to provide your own touch. You have a endgame free builders island too, in which you can build as you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9m8uRfOl8s

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Last chance for #42. Seems my games are way too niche, even though my hints should be good enough for everyone who played the game or sometimes even heard about it, as only about half get's guessed, and that are the more mainstream ones. @The_Liquid_Laser got most of them last year.

#42: The character you choose is declared the saviour of the world and thrown into jail right at the beginning of the game. Explore the world in 3rd-person view while battling the turn-based with you armies in an overview from above. This title is the first in the series, that simply get's a 2 attached to the series name, but it isn't the second game. The first game was actually made by the famous strategy master studio New World Computing and is preceding Heroes of Might and Magic, but the name rights were bought by a russian studio later, which since then releases games in the series, including this one. The Kingdom of Nostria is in peril in this game.

#41: The newest entry in this long-running franchise adds a lot of mobility. This includes more verticality, which also is reflected in the name. Guessed by Supermario28.

#40: Eat PCB (printed curcuit board). You play an orange blob in this old puzzle game. Despite being an clone of the gameplay of Boulder Dash, I like this one more than the original.

#39: The "first part of the name of the game" Project is an independent global scientific organization, formerly a secret branch of the United Nations, dedicated to studying threats to humankind. It was founded in 1945, but was preceded by a number of other organizations, such as the Committee for the Study and Prevention of Species-Level Threats (Soviet Union, 1918-1927) and the "first part of the name of the game" Working Group (United States, 1935-1945). As the world is in peril by the mutating Pandoravirus, this organization rises from the ashes to protect the remaining survivors.

#38: Turn-based or real-time? I can't decide in this fourth entry in the series.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

And here I was misinterpreting your hint to be specifically about Persona 5, and thought how could you rate it so low. Maybe it will show up later :).

There is a Persona game on my list, but it's not Persona 5 because I haven't played it yet. I will eventually get to it, but I just haven't had the time yet. I still have so many massive games to get through waiting on my shelf, that I've not had a real reason to get Persona 5 yet because it would just end up sitting on a pile of games for months or years before I got to it.

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

Heh, it’s funny how the series of my game always gets forgotten about, buried under the Rogue Squadron and the X-Wing series. So sadly I still have to say no.

You are close though, my game is from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter era. There’s really only one series left in this category, and when you remember that one, you’ll be right!

I think I have it between two choices: 

-Star Wars: Rebel Assault I or II

This is right! I won't drag this out any longer and make you choose something with a 50% chance of being correct, but the first hint alludes to me looking for the second game, and so do the events described in the other hints though obviously you'd need to be familiar enough with them. So, yes, Rebel Assault II is correct.

Time for more hints.

#40: You're in a race. Not a literal one but a figurative one. Your opponents once actually existed. You don't all move simultaneously.