By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

#15: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition

Right after booting up Ori and the Blind Forest you're greeted with a title screen with music of utter beauty that made me tear up very quickly. It's so powerful. Then the intro into the game is some of the most emotionally powerful stuff I've ever witnessed. Magnificent. (I'm starting to run out of words I can praise these games with lol.) It left me speechless. The story is rather simple but presented in such a perfect way. The world it takes place in is at first beautiful and happy then dark, dead. The villain, crow seems like the ultimate evil, but at the end of the day she's just a mother who wants revenge for her dead children and to protect her one remaining child. Her sacrifice at the end perfects this stunningly beautiful story. She saves her child and shows that it was that that stood above everything else.

The gameplay and level design on the other hand aren't perfect but great nonetheless. The upgrades lead to more areas being accessible and are fun to use. The enemy design is great too and combat is a bit limited but not bad. The feeling of isolation is reminiscent of Metroid games.

Ori and the Blind Forest is my third favorite Metroidvania.

Around the Network

#13: Hint: This game will never die.
#12: Hint: This game made genocide more fun than ever before.
#11: Hint: This game got only one direct sequel because sometimes developers tend to not be able to count to three.

Mnementh said:

OK, because I was caught up in work I am now seriously behind. Time to catch up. Also, so far The_Liquid_Laser, Machina and Darashoiva are leading with guesses on my games, with 7, 6 and 5 correct guesses respectively.

#17: Elirium 115 (first game). Had a different name in the US than in europe, which is used as the name of the series modernizing this 90s series.

#16: Time travel in the john. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

#15: A shrine can revive your horse, if you managed to kill it. Guessed by drbunnig.

#14: Sorry to keep you waiting. With all us gods,... errrr, and Pyrrhon, united

#13: On the first day man was granted a soul and with it clarity. On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison;

#12: In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes.

#11: Remake of the first game in this dungeon crawler series with self-drawn maps that added an extended story.

#13: I knew I recognized that phrase, even if I haven't actually played the game. Just took a while to dawn on me I guess. Demon's Souls.

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

19) Correct!

16) Yep! And with such a vague hint too, but I figured FF would come to mind

11) Nope, not the right train.

drbunnig said:

I'll go for Resident Evil 0 here - it's the only one I can think of.

Also nope. Actually thought this one might have been too easy, but I suppose there are several games that fit.

11 - Half-Life 2?

It'll be funny if we end up naming half a dozen games that start on a train and it's none of them.

That would have been hilarious, but unfortunately you got it right!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

OK, because I was caught up in work I am now seriously behind. Time to catch up. Also, so far The_Liquid_Laser, Machina and Darashoiva are leading with guesses on my games, with 7, 6 and 5 correct guesses respectively.

#17: Elirium 115 (first game). Had a different name in the US than in europe, which is used as the name of the series modernizing this 90s series.

#15: A shrine can revive your horse, if you managed to kill it. Guessed by drbunnig.

#14: Sorry to keep you waiting. With all us gods,... errrr, and Pyrrhon, united

#13: On the first day man was granted a soul and with it clarity. On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison;

#12: In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes.

#11: Remake of the first game in this dungeon crawler series with self-drawn maps that added an extended story.

#13: I knew I recognized that phrase, even if I haven't actually played the game. Just took a while to dawn on me I guess. Demon's Souls.

Correct.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Alright I got a lot of catching up to do so go ahead and throw some guesses.

19) While this game is in some ways a return to the basics for this series, the additions it makes to your arsenal are some of the more original.

Hint 2: Includes a new mad villain as well as the classic one.

Hint 3: The new villain stole the throne from the companion that follows you for most of the game

16) In a loooog running series, this game is around the middle of numbered entries

15) Re-re-release

14) One thing that annoys me about this game is that it's named like a reboot even though it isn't

13) The one game in this series that has a lot of cutscenes

12) Ended on a heartfelt note

11) Starts in a train

15 - Skyrim?

11 - Uncharted 2

15 is right!

11 isn't, but that was just guessed (Half-Life 2)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Alright, let's get into the top 10 here. Got nothing better to do right now. Let's see if I can make the hints for these a bit more difficult.

#10:

• The game's English voice lines had to be the same length as or shorter than the Japanese ones, as longer ones would cause the game to crash.

#9:

• The painter girl awaits at the end.

#8:

• Greater understanding of the world allows for the truth to be revealed.

#7:

• The English script for this game is longer than the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy (455,125 words) by over 260,000 words.

#6:

• To revive, you must kill.
Last edited by Darashiva - on 18 December 2021

#18The Secret of Monkey Island
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser
platformDOS
release year1990
developer/publisherLucasfilm Games (aka LucasArts)
genrepoint-and-click adventure
linksWikipedia
play in browser (archive.org)
past years2020: #18, 2019: #19, 2018: #17, 2017: #20

I loved LucasArts adventures and the first Monkey Island is one fine example of their great work. The game was designed by Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman and is a great achievement for them.

This great is not made with difficult puzzles in mind (although they can sometimes quite the brainteasers) or action and player death. The main focus for this game lies in exploration and just outright fun. The game has humour at each corner. Like the message after you poisoned the guard dogs. Or who played it might remember the red herring (which was an infamous item in one of the Zork games, as it had no use in any puzzle). Or the hollow tree stump which you can examine further. Or the guy who wants to be asked about Loom. And most importantly the time you learn sword-fight.

The premise of the game is simple: You play Guybrush Threepwood and you want to become a pirate. For that you have to overcome three trials. In the course of the story you also want to win the heart of Elaine Marley and then there is this rumour about the ghost pirate LeChuck!

The game is a classic and pretty much every adventure fan should experience this joyride. If you own an old copy, you can run it again with the trusty DosBox or ScummVM. If you need a copy, you get the special edition with beefed up graphics (which in my opinion miss in part some charme of the original) but also the possibility to switch to original graphics at diverse shops. Or you can play it in the browser at archive.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9ahZQ7oP0

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

My #17 is still unguessed, so let's drop more hints:

#17: Elirium 115 (first game). Had a different name in the US than in europe, which is used as the name of the series modernizing this 90s series. My #39 was made by the same guy who made this game and as a spiritual successor. Guessed by coolbeans.

#14: Sorry to keep you waiting. With all us gods,... errrr, and Pyrrhon, united. The Cherubot is pure mechanical brawn wrapped in an adorable package. So decimate anything that gets in your way.

#13: On the first day man was granted a soul and with it clarity. On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison; Guessed by Darashiva.

#12: In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes. There are some fun references to the series of movies this is based on. Guessed by drbunnig.

#11: Remake of the first game in this dungeon crawler series with self-drawn maps that added an extended story. Guessed by Platina.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 18 December 2021

coolbeans said:
Mnementh said:

My #17 is still unguessed, so let's drop more hints:

#17: Elirium 115 (first game). Had a different name in the US than in europe, which is used as the name of the series modernizing this 90s series. My #39 was made by the same guy who made this game and as a spiritual successor.

#14: Sorry to keep you waiting. With all us gods,... errrr, and Pyrrhon, united. The Cherubot is pure mechanical brawn wrapped in an adorable package. So decimate anything that gets in your way.

#13: On the first day man was granted a soul and with it clarity. On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison; Guessed by Darashiva.

#12: In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes. There are some fun references to the series of movies this is based on.

17 - X-COM: UFO Defense (OG XCOM)?  

12 -  Goldeneye?

#17: Yes, this game is called: UFO: Enemy Unknown in europe, but X-COM was the american name.

#12: No, I never played Goldeneye.